It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I found someone on the net impersonating me.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Still, I prefer anonymity. I know this isn't /b/, however I still would like to remain somewhat anonymous and not have my podcast posted all over the internet... yeah, and it was on a couple of internet sites. Just search "maverickhunter" or any other ats member's name that does podcasts and you'll find a lot of podcasting sites. I just requested that this one be taken off because if it were to be put on another site, it would make them look like the owner of the podcast because of the description I used for the podcast.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Still, I prefer anonymity.

Then stay off online forums and don't podcast.

I just requested that this one be taken off because if it were to be put on another site, it would make them look like the owner of the podcast because of the description I used for the podcast.

Again... It's NOT on ANOTHER site! It's linking to your podcast here, just like Google links to threads. No one, not one person, would ever confuse that Odeo owns or created the podcasts available in its search.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Honestly... that was the past... I did that because I was pissed. That was a few days ago. I don't know what was going on with me, so you can't blame me for it, since I was not acting myself.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Unfortunately, one can't use that in court. I'm sure that if one tried that in a murder case, they'd be laughed all the way to their cell. But I DO understand where you're coming from. Frustration often breeds contempt, and even brash actions. The best we can do afterwards is to try to make amends and move on.

On the legal issue though, I'm gonna have to side with SO here in that so long as they are LINKING to here, rather than RIPPING the podcasts, they are within all legal parameters. It would be nice, even with a search engine, if they would give the poster the proper credit though. Would help to establish the person making the post, as well as promoting the high quality of membership that we have here.

Just a possible suggestion...

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I was saying I was pissed about the Odeo search engine putting my podcast on their site. I had no idea that if you linked to the ATS domain properly it was alright and you could link to the podcast. What I did not know is that everyzing was ripping podcasts off of our site. So I will again say, that in the case they rip podcasts from us and don't give us proper credit, so be it, punish them. In the case they link here, don't.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

All of the improperly posted podcasts have been removed, the issue is resolved in that case, unless there is some further litigation.

So what are you pissed about now?

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

I was pissed about my podcasts being on other sites. Even if it was legit or not, I am still surprised that they are allowed to link to my podcast without linking to my podcast directly. Instead of linking to the podcast directly, they link to the site of ATS as a whole, and not to the podcast they put up. I'm pissed how they're making money and (they're referring to podcasting sites) other sites are getting traffic because of our podcasts. I think that's understandable.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Mav, if I misconstrue any of what you've said in what I'm about to say, let me know.

Um_Gazz,

If what I'm reading is correct, Maverickhunter is mad because his 'casts were being exploited for profit, while he wasn't seeing anything from it. If a site can link to us, and collect a profit off of it, even if it's from a search engine, then isn't that a breach of the CUL?

Maybe I'm completely mistaken. If so, could someone correct me?

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
I was pissed about my podcasts being on other sites. Even if it was legit or not, I am still surprised that they are allowed to link to my podcast without linking to my podcast directly.

The links on Odeo, PodcastPickle, Yahoo Podcasts, iTunes, and a long list of other podcast sites I've looked into are legitimate. Your being "pissed" demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the Internet and podcasting community works. It is assumed that anyone putting up a podcast intends people to listen to it... toward that end, several dozen sites and search engines have a myriad of podcast feed and podcast file search engines and indexes. Being "pissed" that your podcast is on these sites is irrational. It's as irrational as being pissed that Google contains links to your threads in their index.

Originally posted by TheBorg
Maverickhunter is mad because his 'casts were being exploited for profit, while he wasn't seeing anything from it.

Search engines and indexes, for any topic, require an investment in capital to fund the programming and hardware... sometimes such expenses are extensive. Certainly you can't begrudge a company receiving incremental income by providing a search service that produces results?

The technique of EveryZing.com was not just wrong, it was unethical -- they repacked our actual podcast files and omitted critical links back to the podcast thread and ATS site. And they knew they were in the wrong as our material was quickly removed as the result of a firm letter form our legal people.

I've spent some time searching out key podcasts and after reviewing over three dozen aggregators and search engines, could not find any more improper usage.

Maverickhunter -- if things like this cause you to become "pissed," then I strongly recommend you refrain from posting online... you're only going to get "pissed" again.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Uh... I see what you're saying... but I'm only mad at the fact that my podcasts are being put up on other sites. I would like for them to have to directly quote me as the author.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Clearly... you don't see what I'm saying.

(Thread closed, no point in continuing this.)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join