It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I found someone on the net impersonating me.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Agreed Umbrax. I'm thinking of throwing an intro up here as well, regardless of whether it gets stolen or not. I'll make sure to cover my tail end on it too, just for my protection. I may have it done here within the next 24 hours, but that all depends on whether I'm going to be busy or not. Here's to hoping all goes well...

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well by their own admission the original site was actually using complex software to write the descriptions from the 'words' and was just ripping the mp3s from an RSS feed, so I don't think that site edits the casts.

Adding the copyright 'notice' would be the perfect suggestion and as suggested, perhaps at the start, during the middle and end to ensure compliance. Other sites, no idea, but the copyright suggestion would still be a sensible precaution.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The last time someone tried to steal my identity they ended up begging me to take it back.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I see... I hope the staff get this worked out. I lost my mike the day that I was trying to make that podcast so I couldn't do it so I'll try to make one later.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Agreed Umbrax. I'm thinking of throwing an intro up here as well, regardless of whether it gets stolen or not. I'll make sure to cover my tail end on it too, just for my protection. I may have it done here within the next 24 hours, but that all depends on whether I'm going to be busy or not. Here's to hoping all goes well...

TheBorg

Actually its kinda simple to take the intro out. I can do it in less than probably 25 seconds.

What I would do is say something in the middle of a PD like "This is property of ATS and myself. If you see this somewhere else please by all means email ATS admins or me at ????@????.???.

That way it would be a tad harder to take, but it would also be simple for me to take that out also and splice the MP3 back together.

I only know this cause I used to have an online radio station that did prank calls. Therfor I had to edit alot of things out like names and adresses and such..

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
The last time someone tried to steal my identity they ended up begging me to take it back.

Yes,please pleeeease take your identity back.Now i got a rash that won't go away.My ol lady left me and my car won't start.

just joking man.Can't turn down a good set up.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo

Originally posted by grover

Yes,please pleeeease take your identity back.Now i got a rash that won't go away.My ol lady left me and my car won't start.

just joking man.Can't turn down a good set up.

I know, I know, I have used that line a couple times (a good line is a terrible thing to waste) and every time somebody
comes up with a smart comeback like yours.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Any of the Mods/Owners got any updates on this subject?

I was going to 'cast the other night but this thread made me think about it and I didn't bother.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I saw this thread and still uploaded my latest podcast and have some more in the works.

For me, I am not going to let other organisations influence when and if I podcast. The management are on this and you will continue to hear my voice.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm with Freedom ERP on this one. The Amigos are on this so, lets continue to do what we do best. If we clam up, the bad guys win.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Agreed Justin. Now, I just need to find me some time to pop out a 'Cast. Should I get any free time in the next few days, I'll try and get one out. Thing is that I'm kinda busy at the moment, what with the debate and the OP/ED that I'm writing. Kind of leaves zero time to do much else. Anyway, here's to hoping!!

As for the topic, I think that the Amigos will be in touch once they know something. The reason they haven't responded yet is because there's nothing to respond with. I can assure everyone that since this directly affects each and every one of us, that as soon as they know something, so will we. Let's just give our lawyers some time to get things sorted out, okay?

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I even found one of my casts on there...Although I'm thoroughly confused why.

It wasn't even very entertaining

At least rip some good ones geez. Talk about thievery though...

I am in the right state of mind to take some action here. But I am glad the administrators are doing all they can to stop this from happening.

The problem with such a huge site like this is that anyone can register and download a podcast (which is fine in itself). But to be able to upload it where you please with no repercussions...Well that is where I draw the line.

Can you implement some sort of virus or program that shuts the file down after it is downloaded so it can only be listened to? This may be the only viable option aside from shutting down the podcasts completely, which I am against.

This surely happens with posts, which are a creative commons copyright so I can understand why it happens with audio as well.

It just disgusts me.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
biggie,

By law, we're well within our rights, as members of ATS, to complain when someone steals our hard work. If they do so, we should, and are, going through the motions required to getting this kind of action stopped. It won't be necessary to use hacker tactics to get even on them. Let's be the bigger person here, and hit em where it really hurts, their pocketbook.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The legal stuff that makes this right will costa few thousand dollars. We can help "carry" some of that by slamming out more content for ATS. Do your homework, and start a few thought-provoking threads. Think, then podcast. When you do podcast, be sure to begin and end with ATS ident. As The Borg might say, there's more than one way to assimilate this cat.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
hey guys! If we tell these sites that they stole our content, and put it on their site maybe we can get them to take it off and remove the parties responsible for it! I tried emailing a site that had one of my podcasts! See, try doing something like this. I'm censoring my email but I'm posting this to show you what they can do if you act on it quickly.

RE: [Odeo Contact] I'd like you to remove a podcast I have done. [51494] Inbox

odeo support
Thank you for your inquiry. Your request has been received and is being revie...
Aug 9

Reply to all Reply to allForward Forward Print Add odeo to Contacts list Delete this message Report phishing Show original Message text garbled?
odeo support
to me

show details
Aug 15

Hello,

Thanks for your email. As requested, we have contacted the responsible party accordingly, and removed the following files from the Odeo database:

Conspiracy Theory PODcasts from AboveTopSecret.com

formerly located at:

odeo.com...

Please let us know if we can further assist.

Cheers,
The Odeo support team

check out help.odeo.com for more information.

>Message:
>
>I am maverickhunter, and I own the podcast that someone put up on the site that can be found here odeo.com... Under the creative commons license, you cannot copy work without giving the author credit. You do not do this. You just give ATS credit, whereas under the license, that can be found on the site www.abovetopsecret.com, it says you cannot put any members work on another site without putting the name of the author where you put the work that the member did. You cannot steal posts without saying the author did it, the podcast was a post, so you must give me credit, or remove it from the site.
>
>Peace
>
>I just don't want anyone on your site to steal my work.
>
>I am maverickhunter on www.abovetopsecret.com, that's where the podcast came from, feel free to look it up. Feel free to u2u me on the site too. I do not feel this is a legal matter all I am asking is a removal request of the podcast that was mine on this site by an admin, that is all.
>
>This message was sent from user that isn't signed up.
>Email: (my email address)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
everyzing has, apparently, removed all 2,250 of our podcasts from their site.

now you're telling me that odeo has them up as well?

time to call the lawyers again.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter

There is no reason to request this of Odeo... they're a quality site that is properly linking to both the podcasts and the main ATS domain.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

There is no reason to request this of Odeo... they're a quality site that is properly linking to both the podcasts and the main ATS domain.

Regardless, I wasn't aware of my podcasts being put on any other site without my permission. The reason I did that was because they happened to have said that you were the owner of it, that I didn't own it.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Awesome... yeah odeo had my podcast up. A lot of sites seem to have my Maverickhunter for democrat 07 podcast up. That's only why I requested that they took it down, since a lot of other sites have it too. Just do a search for yourself.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Regardless, I wasn't aware of my podcasts being put on any other site without my permission.

That's just it... they were not on another website!.

Among other things, Odeo is a search engine for podcasts. Asking them to remove your ATS podcast from their index is like asking Google to remove links to your threads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join