It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shoot to space from antarctica or the north pole?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
ubercanist, yours is a name I recognize and respect here at ATS, please read nothing negative into my post. OptionToChoose is a newbie here; however, the spirit who inhabits the name has been almost religiously an at-least-twice-daily part of ATS since summer 1994, albeit in lurking form.

I've been entertained by the Sleeper posts, felt the light sprinkle of mindshock after having read of John's soul-catcher position, et al, and if he is truly disinfo, then that would truly be eff'd-up. But like a big-eyed-Gray abducting someone other than me, how could I prove it one way or the other, at least if all I even know of John Lear is text and pics on my computer screen? Yet -- with regards to the potential and quite-likely existence of ET, at least -- I have personal experiences, almost weekly now, precidents for which do not exist in my mental database, nor is there conventional reasoning for. One less-dynamic example (and this topic is what made me take the plunge and join ATS): the nightly bright stars which twinkle furiously with different colors (heavy reds and blues), and if viewed telephotographically -- lo and behold (key word "behold") are not "stars" at all, every now and then a smaller light will streak in or out of one. Maybe tomorrow night "Venus", who was bright as hell tonight, will not even appear in the western sky, same bat time. Nothing I've learned about planets corresponds with such visible changes.

I also follow Zorgon and co a lot, and am completely blown away by his knowledge base, and his apparent devotion to what I recognize personally as truth. He and John seem to be in a very good way. Birds of a feather tend to flock together, and tho I don't want to come across as naive, there's just a lot to sift through to even begin trying to reach some distant facsimile of a conclusion about all this "conspiracy" stuff, and my very profession, digital imagery, has not made that job any easier (can you say, "Chad Drone?")

People think I'm crazy, and tho I might be, I'm not.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
LOL!
carnival, you just made me spit mine out!

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
OMG!!!

I just reread my post . . . I meant summer two-thousand 4!!

. . . brainfog . .

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Back to the OP's original question for a moment...

It seems to me that he was asking if the solar system 'above' the geograhic North pole (which basically points one direction perpendicular the solar ecliptical plane) and 'below' the geographic South pole (which basically points the other direction perpendicular to the solar ecliptic). The solar system's ecliptic is a flat disc on which the orbits of all of the planets and asteroid belt lay flat (basically). The OP may have confused the issue by talking about launching probes from the poles to see what's there.

We know that the planets and the asteroid belt orbit more-or-less along this ecliptical plane. I think the OP wanted to know if the area perpendicular to the plane has been explored. One post already (by 'uberarcanist') discussed the Oort Cloud which is basically a shell surrounding the entire solar system, made up primarily of comets.

There is also the Kuiper belt which contains asteroids and other minor objects that do not necessarily orbit along the solar ecliptic -- Pluto is one of these objects, and astronomers have found others such as 'Sedna' and one even larger than Pluto named 'Eris'.

The Kuiper belt is starts out beyond the orbit of Neptune. The inner Oort Cloud is beyond the Kuiper Belt, and the outer Oort Cloud totally surrounds our solar sytem like a shell and extends way-way out...about a fourth of the way to the next star. To answer your question, I don't think there is much 'above' and 'below' the ecliptic until you get to the Kuiper Belt.

[edit on 073131p://17087 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
If you spin a ball, the outer edges of the ball move alot faster per rotation that the ends ( Poles ) so to get a slingshot boost you would launch ideally from the equator.

Dead balls on mazzroth! This is why we have launch " windows ". You would lose an incredible amount of free energy by launching from the poles.

Nevermind the bad weather to contend with. . .

2PacSade-

<< 1   >>

join