It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Do you go to hell if its your surroundings (nurture) that made you do the actions that broke that thin line?

Because if you don't, the majority of this world should go to heaven. Most people aren't born evil.....its how they our brought up correct?

What our your opinions?

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Society might create evil, but that doesn't necessarily make it excusable. We are all aware that society gets it wrong sometimes and it's therefore up to you to buck the trend.

If you look at Nazi Germany during the 40s, you have an example where the people knew that what they were doing was wrong but chose to go along for reasons of human passion - i.e power and wealth. A lot of Germans were guilty of evil and they weren't blind to their actions. They got around the problem by creating a German God. A God in their own image.

And there lies the problem. Man changes God to suit his own needs. If he does something that is recognised as evil, he changes the religion and God's nature to make it acceptable. Luckily though, we are given freewill. And it is up to you to decide what is right or wrong. Of course, sometimes that is difficult when you are living in a society which bombards you with dogma and politics, but it is up to each individual to search for the truth.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
everyone in this modern pig society goes to hell because we're a bunch of selfists who wouldn't know what good was if it smacked them in the face, unless it came with an expert to tell them they needed to buy it, then they'd say it's good

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
dang, banjoechef, read your signature!

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Society might create evil, but that doesn't necessarily make it excusable. We are all aware that society gets it wrong sometimes and it's therefore up to you to buck the trend.

If you look at Nazi Germany during the 40s, you have an example where the people knew that what they were doing was wrong but chose to go along for reasons of human passion - i.e power and wealth. A lot of Germans were guilty of evil and they weren't blind to their actions. They got around the problem by creating a German God. A God in their own image.

And there lies the problem. Man changes God to suit his own needs. If he does something that is recognised as evil, he changes the religion and God's nature to make it acceptable. Luckily though, we are given freewill. And it is up to you to decide what is right or wrong. Of course, sometimes that is difficult when you are living in a society which bombards you with dogma and politics, but it is up to each individual to search for the truth.

What about people that are not influenced by any particular societies. Are there actions inexcusable? Maybe they were born and raised cannibal. Not ever knowing of any other way. Inexcusable still? They must go to hell I guess....because they never knew any better.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

What about people that are not influenced by any particular societies. Are there actions inexcusable? Maybe they were born and raised cannibal. Not ever knowing of any other way. Inexcusable still? They must go to hell I guess....because they never knew any better.

Different societies have different versions of heaven and hell. For a Christian society, I believe that my statement holds true.
As for a society that has evolved differently (ie. some of the Papua New Guinea tribes) why assume that their religions also didn't change over time with man's meddling? They cannot be classed as any more ignorant or any more enlightened than so-called "civilised" societies.
To us, cannabalism is unacceptable, but to certain tribes it was a way of life and who is to say that for their individual belief system this was wrong? Obviously, man evolves and as he does so there are certain actions of his past that he recognises as being in error. Christianity and Islam make exceptions for this with the act of a penance - a sort of covering up of past misdeeds.

I don't believe that "not knowing any better" condemns you to hell. It's "not looking for better" that is the problem.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Im refering to people who are born in a violent lifestyle. Its not like they chose that life, it came to them when they were born. I don't feel these people would go to hell because its the atmosphere that made them the people they've become.

Obviously the nazi regime should not be included in this, because in my opinion they were naturally evil. But maybe it was all the wars before that shaped them into the evil creatures they turned into .......not really sure

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Im my opinion i cant understand why hell(if it exists) would be a bad place. If the Devil punishes you for being evil then he is in reality working for God, therefore not evil. The Devil would want to to do his will and go against God so it would not make any sense to me for the devil to torture you in hell for doing his will.

new topics

top topics

join