It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nukes in space to protect us from Asteroids -NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Ok, I dont know if this has been mentioned before but I'm a little freaked out right now because of this article.

NASA'S "Asteroid Prevention"

Designed by NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, this latest system would consist of six missile-like interceptor vehicles that would launch aboard an Ares V cargo launch vehicle, each carrying with them a 1.2-megaton B83 nuclear warhead. That, NASA says, should be enough to deflect an asteroid the size of the Apophis asteroid that's expected to pass within the orbit of the Earth and the Moon in April of 2029.

When I read this I immediately thought of Carol Rosin from the Disclosure Project.

What do you guys think of this, because I am quite stunned to say the least.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by koenw]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Funnily enough, I thought of the exact same thing when I saw the thread title. Something about it just doesnt seem quite right

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Check out the info about the asteroid in question

From wiki:

Additional observations of the trajectory of Apophis revealed the "keyhole" would likely be missed and on August 5, 2006, Apophis was lowered to a Level 0 on the Torino Scale. As of October 19, 2006 the impact probability for April 13, 2036 is estimated at 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 has been identified, however the impact probability for that encounter is 1 in 12.3 million.

Despite the fact that there is no longer any significant probability of an Earth impact, the Planetary Society is offering a $50,000 prize for the best plan to put a tracking device on or near the asteroid.

---

Seems like a lot of damn money and effort for 1 in 1.23 million.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ha! Discovery Channel said NASA was many years away from working on such a project, if not at all.

I smell a disaster.

If they have such a thing in place, there is something out there threatening us- or even worse, that so called HOAX could be coming true

Great. Further, that thread which i brought back from the dead about the members prophesy about lights in the sky could be very true.

OMG :shk:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Either its something threatening us, or its just a ploy to get weapons in space so that no one here on Earth messes with the powers that be. Judging by the 20-30 year time frame of the project, Im inclined to think its the latter, unless Aliens have penciled in a time date for the start of war in agreement with Earth officials haha

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras

Seems like a lot of damn money and effort for 1 in 1.23 million.

I'm as baffled as you are.
Yet when you think about it, it does provide them with the perfect oppertunity and reason to put more weapons into space. And because Apophis is a planetoid it justifies their use of nukes

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Its seriously not a big deal. Anyone who has watch TV since the 80's knew this would happen.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Those who favour a non-nuke solution maybe check out the B612 Foundation... there's more data on this thread for those with an interest.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I hate to say it but what if one day we are in the path of a rock that could destroy all life on earth. What are our options, I can't think of too many better than what was posted above. So maybe this is not such a bad idea, the weaponization of space is inevitable. The U.S. may as well get a good head start, because we will need them one day.

As to the aliens not wanting us to weaponize space well, I guess they will have to make themselves know to us. As our technology increases we will naturally to begin to colonize and explore space. We will need to defend ourselves.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwatcher
I hate to say it but what if one day we are in the path of a rock that could destroy all life on earth. What are our options, I can't think of too many better than what was posted above.

Depends on what the thing was made out of. I think that a nuclear laser might work pretty good if you can find it quickly enough to nudge it just right.

Otherwise, so we're doomed. It won't be the first time.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Geez..Hasn't NASA watched armageddon or Deep Impact? Geez the whole nuclear thing just doesnt work according to hollywood *grin*

new topics

join