It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashes on Monitor: Virus or Something MORE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I have a dilemma!

Recently, I've noticed a series of distinct flashes across my monitor screen whenever I'm online. It doesn't matter which web site or what type of material I'm looking over or reading. These flashes will appear even when I'm reading email from someone discussing topics that aren't exactly what I, or anyone else, could describe as "interesting."

Now, the flashes are just that; they typically last under a second, so they are very fast and cause no further disturbance. They look like the fuzzy static that you would generally find on a TV channel that isn't tuned -- straight across the middle portion of my screen, appearing from the right and streaking quickly to the left before it disappears. They are extremely bright and similar to a camera flash. And they always look the same.

As I said above, this has only recently started happening... I'd say within the past 4 months. But its happening everyday now! I purchased this computer about a year ago and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. My virus scans are always clean. I keep daily maintenance. So... I'm perplexed!

Does anyone know if some sort of tracking could cause this? Do you think its just simple computer issues?

Anyone else see these flashes on your screen?

Its really been puzzling me lately, and I'd love some input or thoughts anyone may have!

-Mea

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It could be a disturbance involving the cable that connects your monitor to your video card. If you're having enough trouble, you might see even more spectacular effects -- for instance, tapping the cable on a friend's old computer would cause the entire screen to turn red, yellow or blue. Your trouble could also be caused by subtle power fluctuations: flashes like that would be more typical of hardware issues, I think.

Well, cheers!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Doubt it's a virus.

It's most likely either (most probable to me listed first):

Your monitor
The cable connecting your monitor to your computer.
Your video card (even if it's built into the motherboard)
The cable connecting your monitor to the power outlet.
Your power outlet

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
yes what the other guis sayd..its probably some monitor cable problem.
dont start thinking everything for mystery u know

last night there was some strange noises why i was TRYING to sleep...turns out some water drops were leaking between the walls dropping from the rain

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks to both Mr Jackdaw and Johnmike!

I'll definitely have someone take a look at my monitor soon.

I've heard mention of programs that can creep into your system and track your keystrokes, as well as everything you do and see online. Such a thought doesn't suit well with me in the least. I value what (little) privacy I have far too much for that.

Thanks again to the both of you for your helpful replies!

-Mea

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
well now ill cry i love helping people
so let me help
the best anti spyware program is "scan spyware" it clears all the trojans,key stroking programs,and ad programs and all the little viruses the antivirus dont catch
the best antivirus hmmmmm well either kaspersky or nod32,avg also does the work but not as the above
the best program to keep ur computer working fresh....u should get tuneup utilities 2007,it cleans registry,frees space and many many many things more,changes boot,welcome screens and yea...many more^^
you should get a defragment program like diskeeper to defragment ur hard drive to make the system fast as brad new
also learn to know ur proceses in ctrl+alt+del

excuse me if u know all this stuff i just wanted to help

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Unisol,

Thank you! I'll go check out the programs you mentioned. I am already using a couple programs for disk clean and defragments, but I'm always interested in finding another that may work more efficiently.

Thanks again for the info!

-Mea

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What type of monitor do you have? LCD or CRT?

Also, how old is the monitor itself?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
What type of monitor do you have? LCD or CRT?

Also, how old is the monitor itself?

Hi Rasobasi,

Its actually a Dell laptop/notebook I was talking about. So, it really isn't a separate monitor -- I wasn't sure if I should call it a monitor or just a screen. Its an LCD display, either way.

I purchased it a little over a year ago now from Dell, so it came directly from the factory. I've owned a few Dells in my time (both notebooks and desktops) and never had this problem with any of the others! As of now, I have a notebook and one desktop from Dell -- the desktop is STILL utterly flawless and I ordered/purchased them both on the same day.

But besides this small issue I'm having with the notebook, its otherwise running pretty good. (Even better after I get an upgrade!)

Do you know what it could be? It definitely isn't water or moisture damage -- I take great care of all of my belongings, so no abuse or anything close. Any ideas??

Thanks for inquiring and trying to assist!

-Mea

new topics

top topics

join