It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California may eliminate the "winner take all" Electoral College vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

California may eliminate the "winner take all" Electoral College vote

sfgate.com

Split ticket: An initiative to eliminate California's winner-take-all rule for Electoral College votes in the presidential sweepstakes is quietly making its way toward the June ballot.

The initiative has Republicans salivating and Democrats nervous. Instead of the winner taking the entire prize, the state's critical 55 electoral votes would be divvied up among the top vote-getters in each congressional district.

"If this change is made, it will virtually guarantee that a Republican win.."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The campaign to place this on the ballot is being run by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's former campaign lawyer. If the ballot measure passes, California would join only two other states that do so. Given the size of the state and the number of electoral collage votes, this could give the GOP a advantage in the next presidential race.

It may be in fact a targeted campaign to break the lock that the Democrats have in the state. If you take the coastal region votes out of the tally the state is surprisingly conservative.

sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think this is great, it may come off as a republican ploy but I've never really supported the electoral college system. If there are voters in California who wish to vote Republican then they should be allowed to do so. I wish New York State would do the same thing. I find it highly suspicious that regardless of who I vote for my state always goes to the Democrats.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Umm... just one thing, isn't the Electoral College mentioned in the Constitution? As such only an amendment the Constitution can allow the system to be changed. Wouldn't California be violating the "Supreme Law Of The Land"? Seeing as how a state referendum never trumps the Constitution.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I agree. I wish all states would do this. Maybe the more populated Northern Virginia could actually have it's say with dem votes. Instead of the sourthern part of the state always taking control.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I still don't understand what the electoral collage is for. what was the original reason for it in the first place. And what would be wrong with a regular vote?The kind where whoever gets the most votes wins?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Umm... just one thing, isn't the Electoral College mentioned in the Constitution? As such only an amendment the Constitution can allow the system to be changed. Wouldn't California be violating the "Supreme Law Of The Land"? Seeing as how a state referendum never trumps the Constitution.

No, because they're not getting rid of the electoral college, they're just changing the way their electors are appointed which the Constitution specifically says is up the state legislature.

Nebraska and Maine already do this. I think it'd be great if all states adopted this.

[edit on 8/8/2007 by djohnsto77]

top topics

join