It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In an endless life do we still count the time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hypotheticaly talking, how do you imagine time in an infinite life.
I got this tough from same time and I think it is pointless to keep track of time in an infinite life.
Is time cease to exist for us in this instace?
How do you see that?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Having read The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, I think if we could live for hundreds of years we'd probably go insane & back again a number of times. Keeping track of time would be quite hard I imagine, but I think hours would still seem like days sometimes.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
in an endless life we'd count time in the moments we spend with others. time would still be measured. we'd still have episodic television, 30-60 min episodes. we would still cook with recipes that require the monitoring of time, we'd still watch movies that are a certain length. you'd still have deadlines at work because certain things would still need to get done at a certain point in time.

things wouldn't be much different if we all lived for eternity, we'd just need a lot more to do to spice it up

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geticus

Hypotheticaly talking, how do you imagine time in an infinite life.
I got this tough from same time and I think it is pointless to keep track of time in an infinite life.
Is time cease to exist for us in this instace?
How do you see that?

Hypotheticaly, If life for us were infinite then our perception of time would be different as we wouldn't need to count hours, days or years like we do now. i.e our perception of time would be inherent to our lifespan.

G

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
Hypotheticaly, If life for us were infinite then our perception of time would be different as we wouldn't need to count hours, days or years like we do now. i.e our perception of time would be inherent to our lifespan.

no it wouldn't. we'd still need to count 3 minutes for the instant noodles to cook, time to make appointments, time for industry, etc.

our perception of time wouldn't really affect the way we live, we'd just live the same way longer. we still need to eat every few hours, we still need to expel waste quite regularly, etc.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
no it wouldn't. we'd still need to count 3 minutes for the instant noodles to cook, time to make appointments, time for industry, etc.
Thats assuming that life would be the same as it is now. If we all lived super long then our lifestyles would change to incorporate that change.

our perception of time wouldn't really affect the way we live, we'd just live the same way longer. we still need to eat every few hours, we still need to expel waste quite regularly, etc.
Again assuming that our lifes would be the same as they are now.

Granted if our lifestyles were the same then we would still count time as we do - then again we would probably count time the same but have some newer longer terms timescales. If this was the case then I think I, like virtually every other person on the planet, would get bored as hell living such a long time - Would be even worse if it involved a deity.(just my personal view)

G

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
my teacher asked me an interesting question. if you had the chance to become immortal would you?

everyone said no, because they would get bored.

I say there is so much to do in this world how could you get bored. And if i did everything id start creating my own world empire, then i would leave others in charge and start a rebellion against my own empire, oh the fun and the possiblities.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Considering the alternative, yeah, I'd live forever.

To be able to decide to start again, try life from another direction, not to be worried about time running out, the body getting weak. Life without the pressure of Time.

Certainly, I'd go alot longer than the 70-80 years currently on offer to me.
(The Vampires in the Anne Rice books are all gloomy whinging emos. Put them on antidepressants, and they'd handle their immortal undeadedness much better.)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Our souls are on a quantum state, where the past present and future do not exist. Everything is simply now.

new topics

top topics

join