It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koreas Announce Historic Summit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Koreas Announce Historic Summit

news.bbc.co.uk

Leaders from North and South Korea are to hold a summit, only the second ever between the two sides, officials have announced.

President Roh Moo-hyun will meet North Korea's Kim Jong-il in the North's capital, Pyongyang, from 28-30 August.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
www.rttnews.com
www.washingtonpost.com
home.kyodo.co.jp

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I wonder how this will turn out. North Korea seems to be playing fair lately, if you read the mainstream news. I'm just gonna sit back and hope for the best with this one.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Wow, good to see. I guess this is a positive step, N.Korea has quit acting so bad in the last year or so.

It'll be intresting to see what happen in 3 weeks, its not like there has every been an incedent were people were brought into an area with the hopes of peace talks/negotioantions and things went bad... is there...
(a hundred times yes)

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I don't think there'll be any foul play...it wouldn't turn out good for N. Korea if there was. Nevertheless, the North Koreans don't seem very interested in change, so I'm afraid this summit is just a waste of time.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm sure a lot of people are already familiar with the conditions/mindset of NK. To those who aren't aware - the people there are basically brainwashed into believing that they are still at war with the US (and that were are the ultimate evil) and that they more or less owe their existence and everything they own to the "great leaders". My wife DVR'ed a speical oprah had on and had me watch it. They are completely shut off from the outside world. Any attempt to open themselves up to the world and get their heads out of their asses would be in their own best interested but I think there would be a LOT of resistance from the people because they've been so deeply programmed with propaganda. It would at the very least be shocking and difficult adjustment for them to have their whole viewpoint on the world change. So yes, while this is a step in the right direction, I can't help but wonder if there will be any blowback from turning their culture upside down if they were to open up to the world.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Wow, its hard to believe that an entire country full of people are so cut of from the rest of the world. Especially in this day and age.

I was not aware of the extent of social deprivation in N. Korea. Do you have any links, videos, or other material that documents this? I'd like to look over it.

Kim should quit goofing around in his one piece uniforms and flashy sunglasses and actually do something productive. I guess thats just not in his nature. :sad:

Fingers-crossed for the summit.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
My bet is that North Korea's nuclear tests didn't get quite as much attention or respect as they'd expected and their leadership has finally caught on. Either way it's about time, more leaders need to sit down and talk things out, regardless of differences.

I doubt we'll see any huge changes overnight, but at least it's a good step in the right direction so far.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Agreed, CyberDude. While I do hope for positive result from this, I certainly do not expect fireworks. There's still a good number of news days between now and then. Anything can happen.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
My wife DVR'ed a speical oprah had on and had me watch it.

Do you think that makes you well informed on NK?

They are completely shut off from the outside world.

Were you not before you watched the special?

I think there would be a LOT of resistance from the people because they've been so deeply programmed with propaganda. It would at the very least be shocking and difficult adjustment for them to have their whole viewpoint on the world change.

And how are 'we' any different?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Fair observations, SteveR.

This is what made me ask for links earlier so I could check that out myself. I have no doubt that the North Koreans live in an "egg" so to speak, I am just curious now as to the extent.

Can anyone find documentation that paints a picture?

new topics

top topics

join