It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the deep ones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was looking around online when i ran into some gods called the deep ones (refering to ocean dwelers) can anyone shed a light on this for me

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A link to what you found would help the most here...but if you can't find it, my first instinct is to claim that the children of Neptune (mermaids/men and sea monsters) would best fit this profile.

Still, that could be way off and I need to see the link.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It sounds like something out of the works of HP Lovecraft...

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

You're right on the money, bub.

en.wikipedia.org...

I hate to say it, but case closed. That was too easy.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

Yes, they are from the HPL story "Shadow Over Innsmouth".

Ancient race, live in the sea, etc. I'm a huge Lovecraft fan and could go on, but read the story, its a good one.

Vas

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
sorry here is one of the pages i was looking at
www.mystae.com...

oh late post but yeah its about that, however it seems like this is based on more than just someone's writing though i've seen MJ12 mentioned someplace i will have to dig for it online

[edit on 8/7/2007 by razor1000]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000
oh late post but yeah its about that, however it seems like this is based on more than just someone's writing

You have no idea how in depth the whole Cthulhu mythos is. It is pretty detailed and, as the site you just linked said, it is a complete invention but drawn from real sources which is why it is one of those things that just stick in your head. There are people out there who have heard of Cthulhu, Old Ones, Ryleh etc etc but think they are actual ancient cults. Lovecraft was a literary, horror, sci-fi genius.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
You have no idea how in depth the whole Cthulhu mythos is. It is pretty detailed and, as the site you just linked said, it is a complete invention but drawn from real sources which is why it is one of those things that just stick in your head. There are people out there who have heard of Cthulhu, Old Ones, Ryleh etc etc but think they are actual ancient cults. Lovecraft was a literary, horror, sci-fi genius.

Don't forget the Necronomicon. I always get a laugh when you hear people that think that's real.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well, the Necronomicon is real. Now. Somebody "translated" it into English and published it a couple of decades ago. I had a leather bound silver edged copy my grandfather ordered for me.

Unfortunately it's out of print, and I can't find a link for it on Google because there are just so very many references to Necronomicon there.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
MM, I hate to burst your bubble but most people don't believe the NN is real. I think this link addresses things quite well.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It wouldn't be this book would it MM? Unfortunately it is actually a replica of the Necronomicon which features in the Cthulhu mythos.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
No, it's not. And I'm not saying it's a real tome of information, I'm saying that some kooky publishing firm in New York threw together a bunch of Sumerian mythology with a bunch of made up spells and scary stories and called it the Necronomicon.

I don't believe in ANY gods, not even the Elder variety.

This is the paperback version of the deluxe leatherbound one I had:

Rats. I've Googled my fingers to the bone, and there isn't a copy of the deluxe limited edition one I had to be found, not even on EBay. I wish I hadn't sold it now. I think there were only 5,000 printed.

LMAO I have to get one of these for my kids.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm a big Lovecraft fan, as well. And yes, if you Google up "Necronomicon" it brings up a bewildering number of links, most either irrelevant or just not very good.

Here's my favorite site for Necronomicon info (if i have to pick one)-

www.geocities.com...

Some interesting stuff there, if you're a Lovecraftian and have an interest in The Necronomicon. But it's one of those sites with a funky background making it somewhat difficult to read. Why do people do that?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

LMAO I have to get one of these for my kids.

Lol, that's funny! Your kids are gonna be messed up for sure.
Good job, MajorMalfunction!

[edit on 9-8-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

top topics

join