It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the differance between riot & local police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
i have been watching a lot of police brutality vids latley and it seems that riot police can just beat the snot out of whoever they feel. Are these police just the whole station out in riot gear or another entity alone? Are these police charge with any crime for such brutality?And if it is the city cop or local cop how does that make you feel beating on the people your sworn to protect?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am not exactly sure what you are asking or what jurisdiction you live in, but I hope I can answer your question at least in part...

I spent nearly a decade of my life on a city PD, just left a few months ago for a better job, and in our fairly large department we had no special "riot squad," rather the officers who chose to have that training and be a part of that unit simply carried the "riot" gear in the trunks of their cruisers. If it was needed, we would meet at a staging area and put on our gear. There was no special station dedicated to the unit, the only difference was that we met a few times a month for our own training outside of normal department training.

As far as brutality goes, I never did find myself in a violent "riot" situation so I can not truthfully respond. My philosophy, and I think I will speak for most LEOs when I say this, was simply that I would do whatever it took to go home alive at the end of my shift. I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. However violence for violence's sake, for example an officer beating on someone just because he or she thought they could get away with it, is completely unjustifiable in any situation.

That is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Rainmaker, I think thats how it is in almost every LE agency in the US. The ultra large agencies like the NYPD (the Tactical Disturbance Unit and the Emergency Services Unit have riot control training as do volunteered patrol officers and detectives), LAPD, LA County Sheriff, etc may have special riot units that are supplemented by additional officers with riot training when needed.

new topics

join