It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China threatens 'nuclear option' of dollar sales

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
Dae

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
America is not a member of the European Union, so how can it join the Euro or the Eurozone?

Perhaps a better question is; would America join up with the 'Eurozone' to become the Eurodollar that kacou theorised in an earlier post? As they say, the pen is mightier than the sword.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
I talked in earlier threads we are on the brink of financial Armageddon...anyone who watches Cramer on Mad Money knows he already thinks were there, and he's well connected on Wall Street. Make no mistake about it, China has the ability to destroy our dollar....They hold TRILLIONS ...how much is our national debt...yeah they have that much control.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-8-2007 by DisabledVet]

[edit on 7-8-2007 by DisabledVet]

Well, this is where greed gets you huh? All that lovely cheap chinese labour doesn't look so good any more, does it? This is the inevitable result of limitless 'economic growth' - as they like to call it. If your lust for money knows no bounds, you eventually wind up with very strange & dangerous bed-mates...

[edit on 8-8-2007 by jimbo999]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Gone are the honeymoon years of 2002-2004 after China first entered the WTO. It was touted back then, that the new relationship would open the market, and increase US exports to the mainland. This we were told, would support hundreds of thousands new American jobs, and ultimately lead to a reduction in the bilateral trade imbalance (already huge).

Guess it hasn't worked-out that way.

It was never meant to...

[edit on 8-8-2007 by jimbo999]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
isnt china destroying itself anyways?

look at the pollution problems they have (prolly the worst on Earth)
look at the other problems they have (food tainted , etc)

so touting china as the superpowerful untouchable that everyone seems to enjoy (new fad i guess) isnt exactly "Accurate"

India is doing better , IMO

anyhow, how come yall think buying gold and silver will help anything?

does gold and silver protect us from massive radioactive fallout? lol
is gold or silver worth anything when 99.9% of the earth is dead in nuclear war?

what u SHOULD be buying, as your only hope
is Seeds, and fertilizer

if theres anyway to survive the coming catastrophy, its to avoid nuclear war, and then become a farmer and take care of yourself, imo

gold and silver will also become somewhat worthless , becuase u cannot eat them for survival ...

just a thought or two...i could be wrong

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemarchand
Quit blaming everyone and take responsibility when it comes to Wal-Mart. They're doing what is in their nature to do - to make profit. We are the ones that drive the market.

Wrong, Wall-Mart KNEW that by moving it's supply chin to China it would negatively affect the American businessman whom wants or needs to get his products into their stores to be successful. Regardless of their nature, it is still a responsibility of a US company to not undermine the very economy they derive their profits from... thats like biting the hand that feeds you.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I buy Wal-mart or target etc. only if I have no other option. I would rather spend a little bit more and buy locally than save at Wal-mart. Its the principle. Wal-mart destroys community businesses. The only reason I buy at Barnes and Nobles is the shortage of independent bookstores and music stores in the Roanoke valley.... out of a population of 250,000 we have 3 independent book stores (and the owners of 2 of them are crazy, one certifibly) 2 used book stores and no independent music stores. Pathetic. For books I will go to the one bookstore with the passably sane owner first before I go to Barnes and Nobles and for music its Amazon, iTunes or Barnes and Nobles and that is it.

And its becoming more and more like this where ever you go outside of the major cities. Talk about the great wasteland.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
China crashes the dollar and the US will nuke their cities in the name of NS.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

You have to wonder what weapons the chinese have too. They may not be as primitive as you people suppose.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
apc, thanks for your further information. My sources have shown a 6.8% increase in the last year (depending of course when you invested, so am using 200DMA (daily moving average)), and an increase in demand. The price has been subdued by unannounced sales of gold from the Swiss and Spanish Central Banks of 53 tonnes in july alone.

When things turn sour US Dollar wise however, there will be no further need for trying to hide any longer that the US economy is crumbling, and the Central Banks will likely refrain from further sales. This will decrease supply and see the price rise, which along with current increase in demand for nanotech technologies, the possibility for Chinese people to invest in gold since a few weeks ago, and the possible 'run' to gold as the economy recesses. Why 'run' to gold? Because basically put, after 2000 years the same weight of gold still buys the same goods. So would you rather invest prudently as you suggest (low risk generally mean low returns, so inflation will probably catch you here also), or invest in something which will allow you to still have the same purchasing power as before the inflation driven recession?

Just a few thoughts (China has set up a board to invest in overseas oil and gold companies - I just keep thinking of examples ;-) ) which may be worthy of note. Perhaps you will end up right, and somehow I hope you will be, but my opinion leans in the other direction however.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think i told you so doesn't quite cover it.

How long ago was it that i was stating this is what China, alongside some other countries like Russia, want to do to the U.S.?

There is something some members don't seem to understand. Something like this doesn't happen over night, nor in 8 years.

There is something that China wants more than even the 2008 Olympics, and that is Taiwan.

China knows the U.S. will step in if they attack Taiwan, and the Chinese are not that stupid, hence the one way they can stop the U.S. stepping in, is economically weakening us, and that does not happen overnight.

I see many members now are blaming all this on the current administration...but this has been happening before the current administration was in office, and even before the Clinton administration.

Russia and a couple other countries will also gain from something like this. They want the U.S. and NATO to leave Europe, or at least to lose power.

This weakening of the U.S., and this is not only being done economically, has been happening for at least a couple of decades, if not more.

Putin has even called for a new global economy, why does everyone think he has been calling for this?....

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well, that certainly is an understandable viewpoint, MD, but I want your take on how exactly China can weaken the American economy without crippling their own?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Well, that certainly is an understandable viewpoint, MD, but I want your take on how exactly China can weaken the American economy without crippling their own?

Uber...take a look at the article on this thread itself. China is more than willing to cripple the U.S. economy, and they have been forming an alliance with other countries who have the same thing in mind.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i know the following article is not about China, but it emphasizes what i am saying.

Putin wants new economic "architecture"
By Andrew E. Kramer Published: June 10, 2007

ST. PETERSBURG: President Vladimir Putin sought to reassure investors and foreign leaders that Russia remained committed to free trade and investment for businesses that work here, in spite of a chill in political relations with the West.

But Putin said Russia would integrate with the world economy on its own terms - and possibly not by embracing the current rules of the global economic order.

Speaking at a business forum here Sunday, Putin called for a new world economic framework based on regional alliances rather than global institutions like the International Monetary Fund.

The new system, he said, would reflect the rising power of emerging market economies like Russia, China, India and Brazil, and the decline of the old heavyweights of the United States, Japan and many European countries.

www.iht.com...

Do you think in this new economy that Brazil or India would be the top superpowers?.... The top superpowers will be China and Russia.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It still doesn't strike me as a sound plan: "Hey, let's cobble together some alliances with economically weak countries, and maybe in the aggregate they can replace the trading relationship we have with world's most powerful country!"

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It still doesn't strike me as a sound plan: "Hey, let's cobble together some alliances with economically weak countries, and maybe in the aggregate they can replace the trading relationship we have with world's most powerful country!"

Maybe you should read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

Deception: Appear weak when you are strong...

The Art of War is a military strategy book from the 6th century, which the Chinese military still uses to this day, not only for military reasons, but as an economical strategy also.

The Chinese have been playing chess for decades, meanwhile we (western powers) have been playing checkers.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'll believe China's plan can work when I see it...

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I'll believe China's plan can work when I see it...

Right now China is in no place to just do whatever it wants as so many on here are saying. This is a lot of political rambling coming from Beijing right now. Why? Because Congress is threatening tariffs which will decrease China's exports and hurt them so in turn they say, "We'll hurt you".

If China was untouchable, they wouldn't even give what Congress did a second thought.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
the top economic power before WW2 was germany...and well the world economy collasped. war usually is used when economies collaspe...either they see it as a diversion or they see it as a way to get out of the economic problems...I think it's the latter really.

but think about this...
germany was the economic power, we are sent into the depression, and about the same time as this happens, germany becomes the bad guy, starts rounding up their undesirables, sending them away to their concentration camps, starts picking on their neighbors... alliances are formed, and other alliances cease to exist...

anyone else see a similarity here?

like maybe the time for the US to be the prime economic superpower is over. the plans have already been made, the new successor has been chosen, and well.....the war has been started.....and this time around it's the US that will be listed in the history books as the bad guy...lest the populations of the world feel sorry for us...

but, it was good while it lasted...

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

"Hey, let's cobble together some alliances with economically weak countries, and maybe in the aggregate they can replace the trading relationship we have with world's most powerful country!"

You and many others are stuck in the past IMO, unable to see the new reality of the global economic situation.

They are not "economically weak" they are either resource rich countries or up and coming consumer societies.

In the new world of 6.5+ billion people all racing toward the "good life" the scramble for resources will be paramount. Economies with resources will dictate terms (Venezuela & Russia are good examples and the nations with the capacity to pay/trade for them with goods (from a solid manufacturing base) as opposed to worthless currency will be the ones to get their hands on them (China being the prime example). You should look up the terms "BRIC Alliance" and "Shanghai Co-operation Organisation" ATS linky

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
No dawnstar, no similarity, the U.S. is not what Germany was...

Germany set out to conquer other nations, countries conquered by Germany couldn't vote for whatever representatives they wanted...

The Germans also tried to exterminate races that they saw as scum.

Sorry, but there is no similarity between Germany during Hitler's time and the U.S. today.

apc

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nextstep
apc, thanks for your further information. My sources have shown a 6.8% increase in the last year...

kitco.com reports a +4.3% one year change. Regardless, I'm not looking at a one year history when talking about sound investments. I'm looking at a minimum 10 years of solid stable growth. Gold is anything but.

I don't like speculating on how well something might return in the future. Especially something as hypothetical as a full blown economic war with China.

I prefer to see how an investment has performed in the past, as that will be your true indicator of the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join