It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 7
3
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Here is an article about atheist US soldiers in Iraq, being mistreated by the US.

scienceblogs.com...




posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
We do we have a lot of Atheists who try to bring Christianity down? I mean there are many other religions you can try to make a point out of. Why must it always be the bible this, or God that?


Not being an Atheist, or a Christian, you will have to excuse my supposition, but here's what I think to be so:

Christianity is the dominant Western religion. When one is trying to analyse the theological psyche of our culture, it is impossible to do so without taking a look at Christianity. The popular cultural points of reference for spiritual ideas are borne out of Christian mythology.

Everyone is familiar with the concepts of Heaven, Hell, spiritual redemption and judgement, and these come to us by way of Christianity. One does not have to be Christian to know instantly what these concepts are. As a dominant force in world history, Christianity has been the driving force behind European politics and colonisation for nigh on 1500 years. It would be impossible to take an analytical look at all these issues without taking in Christianity.



Originally posted by Equinox99
My point is if Atheists do not follow any religion, then why do they mostly pick on Christianity?....How come you barely make mention why the Koran is this or Buddhism is that.


Basically a large percentage of people here haven't grown up in an atmosphere where the Buddhist or Islamic faith is entrenched in the common psyche and national schooling programs like Christianity is. As the dominant state-sanctioned religion in many Western countries, It is the fact that Christianity is the basis for much of our common cultural ideas on spirituality.

When one wishes to analyse and muse on spiritual ideas, the starting point is often questions about Christianity, it certainly was for me.

To put your faith in the ideas, rules and dogma of others, that one has not first analysed for oneself is a very dangerous mindset to be in, especially on a scale of mass-population.

I don't think Christians should get bent out of shape that their particular mythology of choice is put under the microscope - It's a testament to the domination of mass-thought that the "official" Christian churches have been able to foister on our societies with their decades of colonisation, censorship, mass-murder, persecution, corruption, greed and war. It takes a long time to be that Evil.



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
Here is an article about atheist US soldiers in Iraq, being mistreated by the US.

scienceblogs.com...


such a shame, the christians that claim to be oppressed being the great oprressors.



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think Atheists tend to resent Christianity more because Atheists usually tend to be from Christian families and go rogue during teenage rebellious period of their lives. Usually Christianity is forced on them as a child and then assuming they don't go to a faith school, they will be indoctrinated by the government and become to resent Christianity as being all evil etc. etc. for "brainwashing" kids etc.

I think parents should let the child choose when they are of the age, not brought up either Atheist/Christian.

Regarding this article, I think this just shows pure intolerance and Christians should also be tollerant and accepting. There was an article a while ago about a girl who got booted off the netball team and eventually out of school for being an Atheist, which was out of order.

Catholicism the parasite of Christianity.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by otester]



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
How can Christianity have only ONE parasite? All religions (which are ALL only psychotic cult brainwashing, however popularly accepted as normal today) need to be cured by science, and that doesn't mean the popular mindset of the strictly materialistic, "if it doesn't squirm when we attach electrodes to it, it doesn't exist" version of "science." Religion and bad government need to be cured, for starters, by revealing secrets and rejecting rule by official secrecy in general. How to accomplish that? Beats me. Who can say if it will be primarily "Acts of God" or grass roots activism? Either way, we're definitely headed for something huge. Interesting times.



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What would Jesus do? Would Jesus spend any time at all arguing with Atheists online about his very own existence?



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I wonder if military personnel like that Major knows where all those really cool planes, bombs, tanks and artillery they use comes from...from god maybe?



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightworth
How can Christianity have only ONE parasite? All religions (which are ALL only psychotic cult brainwashing, however popularly accepted as normal today) need to be cured by science, and that doesn't mean the popular mindset of the strictly materialistic, "if it doesn't squirm when we attach electrodes to it, it doesn't exist" version of "science." Religion and bad government need to be cured, for starters, by revealing secrets and rejecting rule by official secrecy in general. How to accomplish that? Beats me. Who can say if it will be primarily "Acts of God" or grass roots activism? Either way, we're definitely headed for something huge. Interesting times.


Science will cure religion when it proves MACRO-evolution, which it never will.

Bible actually spreads light on bad government and what they intend to do, without the Bible, we would have no accurate knowledge, just speculation.



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ok heres the deal GOD is a myth! Why you might ask? Think about this the buddhists have been praying to buddah for over 5000years the muslims pray to allah for several thousand years and christians have prayed to jesus for over 2000 who is right!! They cant all be right can they? I mean jesus's dad was god just a generic deity no name no proof nothing just a book written by men who thought you could walk off the end of the earth. Science has already proven how our universe was made by seeing other systems being created through the hubble telescope.GOOGLE THAT If the story of adam and eve was true doesnt that mean our whole foundation as a people started through incest? I dont want to sound negative but most christians wont even talk about the possibility that god is a myth.Here is a good example my local college had a debate on creation vs evolution the creation speaker was a preacher who traveled colleges just to debate this the evolutionist was one of the schools science teachers. Well to make a long story short the creation guy spoke first and not 10 seconds after he finished his speech half the audience got up and left LMAO I thought to myself why the hell even show up they obviously wanted to make sure no real knowledge passed between their ears and shatter their fragile when I die I go to heaven world. Whats even better is when the preacher tried to tell everyone that the earth is 7000yrs old lol and that if you had a string that one inch represented a decade relative to the age of the earth according to science that the string would go all the way to the pacific ocean(i live on the east coast)
and that that was just impossible he said ROFLMAO.

Now my question for you. What kind of god would allow little boys to be molested in the church they were alter boys at, and by the very men that in their eyes represented god. I guess they had it coming for some sin they commited right!!!

[edit on 9-8-2007 by 187specialist]



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by otester

Science will cure religion when it proves MACRO-evolution, which it never will.

Bible actually spreads light on bad government and what they intend to do, without the Bible, we would have no accurate knowledge, just speculation.


Wow... did you really just say that? Without the bible we would have know accurate knowledge? What makes you think we have *any* kind of accurate knowledge today?

Wow...



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by otester

Science will cure religion when it proves MACRO-evolution, which it never will.

Bible actually spreads light on bad government and what they intend to do, without the Bible, we would have no accurate knowledge, just speculation.


Wow... did you really just say that? Without the bible we would have know accurate knowledge? What makes you think we have *any* kind of accurate knowledge today?

Wow...


Such have read "we would have no accurate knowledge of where bad government will lead us" my bad



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Still though,

I think history is a good enough example of where bad gov leads us. Who needs a bible to show you that? Not saying it doesn't point that out too, just that you don't need a book to show you the ends of government, good or bad.

By the way, there is no *good* form of government. Government is simply a control mechanism, I mean it's right there in the name...



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 187specialist
Ok heres the deal GOD is a myth! Why you might ask? Think about this the buddhists have been praying to buddah for over 5000years the muslims pray to allah for several thousand years and christians have prayed to jesus for over 2000 who is right!! They cant all be right can they? I mean jesus's dad was god just a generic deity no name no proof nothing just a book written by men who thought you could walk off the end of the earth. Science has already proven how our universe was made by seeing other systems being created through the hubble telescope.GOOGLE THAT If the story of adam and eve was true doesnt that mean our whole foundation as a people started through incest? I dont want to sound negative but most christians wont even talk about the possibility that god is a myth.Here is a good example my local college had a debate on creation vs evolution the creation speaker was a preacher who traveled colleges just to debate this the evolutionist was one of the schools science teachers. Well to make a long story short the creation guy spoke first and not 10 seconds after he finished his speech half the audience got up and left LMAO I thought to myself why the hell even show up they obviously wanted to make sure no real knowledge passed between their ears and shatter their fragile when I die I go to heaven world. Whats even better is when the preacher tried to tell everyone that the earth is 7000yrs old lol and that if you had a string that one inch represented a decade relative to the age of the earth according to science that the string would go all the way to the pacific ocean(i live on the east coast)
and that that was just impossible he said ROFLMAO.

Now my question for you. What kind of god would allow little boys to be molested in the church they were alter boys at, and by the very men that in their eyes represented god. I guess they had it coming for some sin they commited right!!!

[edit on 9-8-2007 by 187specialist]


Actually Christianity came before Islam did, God put us here with free will.
You want to jump off a bridge? It's your life. You wanna run around suicide
bombing? It's your life.
People say God can't exist because science says the big bang is proof.
Maybe it is, but how does that prove God being false? There is no proof
of the big bang nor is there proof of God creating the universe. So why
are you jumping with joy then.
That preacher shouldn't take the bible literally, because the first couple of books were put there for teachings and not as history.

Science has yet to prove how the universe was created. They just have
theories, and not facts. What I believe is every religion has the same God,
but they might have interpreted things differently.



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by janasstar
Attention Suicide Virus:
That has got to be the most stupid thing you have said yet! Christians weren't even in existence when Lucifer became Satan! He brought that down on his own little pointed head! Sorry! WRONG!!!!


Have you actually ever read the Bible? Apparently not, since the story you're talking about is actually from the Book of Enoch, which is in the Apocrypha, not the Bible. Christianity only later inaccurately equates "Lucifer" with "Satan" when it misapplies Isaiah 14:12 (which is actually talking about the human King of Babylon) to Luke 10:18.

You know, it's pretty pathetic when a damned atheist like myself has to educate a true believer like yourself about the Bible. I know your local preacher doesn't want you to, since it will show him to be a fool and hurt collections, but if you're going to argue something about the Bible, maybe you should try to read it first.



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i just wanted to to say something brought up a page or two ago. atheism as defined by George H. Smith's book Atheism: The Case Against God says" atheism, in its basic form, is not a belief: it is an ABSENCE of belief."
he also says "the prefix "a" means "without," so the term "a-theism" literally means" without theism" or without belief in a god or gods."

so although there are groups that are about atheism, atheists are not a group or cult or anything of that sort .

[edit on 8/9/2007 by homeskillet]



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
ATTN Suicide Virus: Apparently you don't know as much about the Bible as you think you do. Gee I love this one on one with you. Lucifer was one of God's most cherished angels. He was 'the anointed cherub that covereth, with every precious stone.' That's according to Bible description. Then he got pride and envy in his heart and decided to try to exalt his throne above God's throne. So God and the 2/3's of the remaining angels kicked him and the other 1/3 out of Heaven and cast him down to earth. Then his name was changed to Satan. See? that's the problem with trying to read the Bible with the carnal mind. It gets taken out of context, because you try to read it like a novel or something, and that's not the way it is. The Bible tells you how it is to be read. First and foremost; it is a faith book. yes it contains some history and mistakes of mankind. but it also contains God's Word. But it is to be read line upon line; precept upon precept. and it is not hidden "from" the believer but "for" the believer.
And the Book of Enoch that you speak of, was originally in the Old testament, before 'so-called' religious scholars removed it, and it became part of the Apochrypha. Personally, I think those books should have been left in. But, I wasn't asked. I'm just a dumb woman. By the way, Suicide Virus, you are very knowledgeable about the Bible. Maybe you could go teach the Catholics what the Bible really says. 'Cos if they wait on the pope to tell them, they'll be waiting.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by janasstar]



posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I thought this post was about Atheists?


How can anyone argue about the origins of a mythological creature that is intangible?



posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Well, I am not an athiest, but I will try to unoffensivly say that Islam is a copy of Christianity, and Christianity is Judaism with the belief that Jesus Christ was the messiah that was promised to pop up eventually. I myself find Christianity contradicting the word of God, as most Christians believe that Christ was God......and worship Christ as God. The ten commandments, if I am not mistaken...is pretty clear about not having any other Gods before "God". Perhaps Jesus was the son of God....but by worshipping him you are breaking a rule that God clearly stated to Moses.



posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Edited...I posted twice on accident....sorry.


[edit on 10-8-2007 by saintnuke]



posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by saintnuke
Well, I am not an athiest, but I will try to unoffensivly say that Islam is a copy of Christianity, and Christianity is Judaism with the belief that Jesus Christ was the messiah that was promised to pop up eventually. I myself find Christianity contradicting the word of God, as most Christians believe that Christ was God......and worship Christ as God. The ten commandments, if I am not mistaken...is pretty clear about not having any other Gods before "God". Perhaps Jesus was the son of God....but by worshipping him you are breaking a rule that God clearly stated to Moses.



Yeah yeah yeah, Christ being God wasn't a facet of Christianity until the Council of Nicea where it had to be that way in order for Christianity to be admited into the pantheon of Gods. I mean, how can you have a religion about a main character who isn't a God? At least thats how constantine saw it.



new topics

top topics



 
3
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join