It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
short answer:

no Hindu has ever asked me to take his beliefs as literal truth, superior to science.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
SV, about the atheist presidents, I was surpirsed to find this out about Lincoln

There was the strangest combination of church influence against me. Baker is a Campbellite; and therefore, as I suppose with few exceptions, got all of that Church. My wife had some relations in the Presbyterian churches, and some in the Episcopal churches; and therefore, wherever it would tell, I was set down as either one or the other, while it was everywhere contended that no Christian ought to vote for me because I belonged to no Church

www.positiveatheism.org...

There are a lot more.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The paralle,
>Thousands of people have been attending mass ceremonies in India at which hundreds of Hindu Dalits converted to Buddhism and Christianity.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Several states governed by the Hindu nationalist party, the BJP, have introduced laws to make such conversions more difficult.

Officially, caste discrimination was outlawed when India gained independence in 1947, but many of the country's 180m Dalits say that people's attitudes towards them remain the same.

The caste system doesn't seem scientific, rational, or enlightened.

Once again it is about power and control, by the priestly class, no matter what you worship.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am an Atheist and I personally don't knock any single religion I knock all of them. Simple way to look at the possibility of a god is to go back to early man. The caveman had no god as he had no perception of a higher being. As they had no speech as such, then they had no way of passing on Stories (which is what religion is based on) and therefore had no way of honouring any god if there was one.

If a god created heaven and the earth he would have surely wanted his early creations to know of him/her/it. He would not after millenia have turned round and said oh # I forgot to tell my children I am their father I'd better get someone to write my auto-biography so they realise.

Don't know what I'm going to do about all those who have already died and did not know about the kingdom of heaven (or whatever you call yours) they have obviously been sinners going about killing each other, being from different tribes and that. Plus bugger me if I didn't forget to give them speech so they haven't been able to praise my name, well bloody hell they're already dead so what they don't know won't hurt them. # I've just said bloody hell and really I haven't invented bloody hell yet I'd better see if I can get that mentioned in the book but I might just shorten it to HELL, it has a bit of a ring to it, like BELL.

So all you religious people out there give yourselves a good talking to and then come and join us in the real world.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Thousand, I might have agreed with you at one point in the history of Christianity, but I don't see Christianity as dangerous at this point, that's not to say it couldn't happen.

Christianity is currently held in check by Democracy. I imagine that if it were taken out of the picture, the US would be a few short jumps from a fundamentalist theocracy. The elements are there.

I am sure this has been brought up a million times, some athiest run governments have a horrific track record.

They have horrific track records yes, but not because they were Atheistic. No army has been told to kill another because they didn't believe in evolution. As I mentioned before, it was Totalitarianism that did the killing, not Atheism.

I don't think telling people to love is a mental illness.

Telling people to love is a great thing. Telling them to do it or an invisible man in the sky will cast you into a lake of fire for eternity is not, and it lands squarely in mental illness territory.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazmar
The caveman had no god as he had no perception of a higher being. As they had no speech as such, then they had no way of passing on Stories (which is what religion is based on) and therefore had no way of honouring any god if there was one.

Of course prehistoric man had speech and language. But since they didn't write it down those languages are lost forever.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
ok so atheist dont follow any religion and dont believe
u really think thats healthy?
EVEN IF ALL RELIGIONS IS made up IT STILL HELPS to believe in a highter power that will help u if u believe and prey.....couse when u know someone there is helping u u are more relaxed,have more confidence and luck.....cant touch me

and my life has prooven that THERE IS SOMETHING HIGHER that helps u
i life was not once saved by "unexplained events"
like when i cross the street some **** is speeding and some weird power holds me in place and stops me in the moment i turn my head and see the car coming at me......the guy passed a santimeter next to me....one more foot close....and i was dead.....and i dont believe my reflexes were that good couse something really stoped me

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
short answer:

no Hindu has ever asked me to take his beliefs as literal truth, superior to science.

My girlfriend is Hindu, and that's her #1 complaint against Christianity. She's always worried that my Mom is going to try to convert her.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
hhahahaha
i really find trying to convert people silly
i dont think any religion should have anything against living with a person with another religion

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unisol
ok so atheist dont follow any religion and dont believe
u really think thats healthy?
EVEN IF ALL RELIGIONS IS made up IT STILL HELPS to believe in a highter power that will help u if u believe and prey.....couse when u know someone there is helping u u are more relaxed,have more confidence and luck.....cant touch me

and my life has prooven that THERE IS SOMETHING HIGHER that helps u
i life was not once saved by "unexplained events"
like when i cross the street some **** is speeding and some weird power holds me in place and stops me in the moment i turn my head and see the car coming at me......the guy passed a santimeter next to me....one more foot close....and i was dead.....and i dont believe my reflexes were that good couse something really stoped me

Honestly to all the Atheists I see what you mean now, and I am sorry to have questioned you. I am still a believer, but I see what you guys mean
from your point of view and I respect it.
Thanks for the replies!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
thank u i didnt want to talk bad about them either its just an opinion and i respect others view
but i really think that we should make use of our weak minds that are easily manipulative...even if we have to lie to ourselfs....in my theory ti sometimes helps^^afcourse i didnt lie to my self about religion i belief

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
and especialy the other day there was a storm
my pc shuted down and refused to power on....i thoug my god its dead,the motherboard is probably damaged or sometin....i tried again and again and it just was dead....then i preyed
couse i really cant live now without my pc
and the pc resurected omg after pressing the button it went alive

then again today i was punching some pvc bottle of soda from the freezer that was becomed ice
i was punching the ice to break it inside then opened the bottle and the air inside exploded(what a surprise i have iq of monkey) and forced ice particles to blast throw but thank god the plasma screen and the tv were unharmed....my parents were going to kill me if the plasma god damaged from the...ice grenade....thank god

+i passed my driving exam today....thank god again i guess

i know these events dosnt make any sense or proof but still its quite funny

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You're right, they don't prove anything at all. There is a logical, rational, EARTHLY explanation for all those things.

There's a video that demonstrates why prayer is superstition here.

Here is a short article on statistical analysis of prayer.

The thing about prayer is, it is very much like what shill psychics like John Edward and Sylvia Browne do. Bear with me. With those "psychics" as with prayer, you remember when they got things right, or the prayer was "answered," and forget about the times they were wrong, or the prayer wasn't "answered."

What happens is that the outcome of whatever situation you are praying for a resolution to falls under the laws of probability, just like everything else.

How many times have you prayed for something that didn't happen? Many more times than the opposite, I'd be willing to bet.

There is a video that explains how prayer is like an optical illusion here.

Of course, I don't expect anyone who actually believes that prayers are answered to watch these videos, nor believe them if they do, but the truth is that prayer does not do anything except perhaps give the pray-er some sort of release of tension.

Now, where did I put my asbestos armor? I'm sure the BBQ is about to commence.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
SPEAKING OF SCIENCE. FORGIVE "ALL CAPS." I HAVE VISUAL PROBS. NOT SHOUTING. DID ANYONE SEE THE FRONT PAGE OF NEW YORK TIMES? 8/8/07, WWW.NYTIMES.COM . SEEMS THE FOUNDATION FOR THE EVOLUTION THEORY IS CRUMBLING.
HOW'S THIS FOR SCIENCE: IN GENESIS, WE ARE TOLD THAT GOD FORMED MAN FROM THE DUST OF THE GROUND. FOR MANY MILLENIUM WITHOUT BENEFIT OF SCIENTIFIC LABS, WE HAD TO TAKE THIS FOR GRANTED. BUT IN RECENT YEARS, SCIENTISTS HAVE BROKEN DOWN THE COMPONENTS OF MAN AND FOUND THAT HE IS COMPRISED OF THE VERY SAME ELEMENTS OF THE DUST OF THE GROUND.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Regarding genesis:
There is an old X-men cartoon episode that is similar to what happened on 9/11. Is that scientific too?

Actually the foundation for evolution is stronger then ever.
Missing links have been found
genetic research re-enforces evolution continually

There are mound of evidence that evolution is correct and NO evidence supporting creationism.

I could read any book and make parallels to whatever I want if I look hard enough.

You must keep in mind that the bible in NOT an encyclopedia but a compilation of stories.

Even the pope has said he believes evolution is correct !!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
janasstar,
I didn't know you have visual problems. Would it be easier if everyone posted in caps if that is possible?

or different font or point size?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
here is a video which demonstrates why a lot of Americans are fed up with religion/Christianity. it has some bad language so look out.

link

[edit on 8/8/2007 by homeskillet]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I DIDN'T ASK FOR SPECIAL CONCESSIONS FOR MY LIMITATIONS. I ONLY WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WHAT I TYPE IS AS CORRECT AS I CAN MAKE IT. BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR VERY KIND AND CONSIDERATE OFFER.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
WHY ARE YOU ATHEISTS SO FULL OF HATE AND ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A FIGHT? I'M A PEACE-LOVING PERSON. SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT CHRISTIANS WERE MENTALLY ILL. I HAVE TO WONDER ABOUT PEOPLE WHO ARE SO FULL OF HATE. THAT'S A SOCIAL BEHAVIOR DISORDER, OR A PERSONALITY DISORDER AT THE VERY LEAST. PERHAPS THEY NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE.
I HAVE TRAVELED OVER MOST OF THE U.S. AND PARTS OF MEXICO, AND VISITED MANY CHURCHES OF VARIOUS DENOMINATIONS; AND NOT ONCE HAVE I EVER HEARD ANYONE IN THE PULPIT EVER SAY, "LET'S GET THOSE ATHEISTS!" SOME OF THE CHURCHES WERE EVEN SOME I DIDN'T CARE FOR. AND I'LL STILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING. WE ARE NOT STUDYING HATE. WE ARE STUDYING BIBLE SCRIPTURE AND HOW TO STOP REPEATING BAD BEHAVIOR AND BE BETTER PEOPLE TO ALL OF MANKIND. GEEZ! PEACE GUYS! TAKE A CHILL PILL! NOBODY IS GOING TO MURDER YOU IN YOUR BEDS.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join