It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
We do we have a lot of Atheists who try to bring Christianity down?
I mean there are many other religions you can try to make a point
out of. Why must it always be the bible this, or God that?

One
two
three

My point is if Atheists do not follow any religion, then why do they mostly pick on Christianity? I mean there is many other religions out there. Every thread you make concerning Christianity, ends up with prove God exists, and we ask prove how the universe was created. It is the same pattern over and over again. How come you barely make mention why the Koran is this or Buddhism is that. I am getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

Do not get me wrong I enjoy arguing, but it gets very annoying when people
come at us with the same questions and accusations. I do understand there is almost the same thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
However I am not looking for an argument, I am looking for an answer
from all the Atheists out there.
What do you guys think of this? Why do you not write anything about
the Koran, Torah's or any other holy book?

[edit on 7-8-2007 by Equinox99]

The question was : "Why do atheists pick on Christianity?" The answer is in the scriptures.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by katco
The answer is in the scriptures.

Isn't it always?

Seriously though, nothing in those verses says why Christians will be persecuted, only that they will be. "Just because" stopped being an answer for me when I was roughly six years old, so forgive me if I don't accept it now.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I REALLY WISH SOMEONE WOULD ANSWER THIS FOR ME. IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING, THAT ATHEISTS DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD. IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE, WHY DO THEY TRY SO HARD TO FIGHT SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN? I DON'T BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS, THE TOOTH FAIRY, THE EASTER BUNNY, ETC. BUT, I DON'T FIND IT NECESSARY TO TRY TO OBLITERATE THESE BELIEFS FOR THE ONES THAT DO BELIEVE. I DON'T TRY TO ABOLISH ISLAM, BUDDHISM, ETC. I RESPECT EVERYONE'S RIGHT TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY CHOOSE TO BELIEVE. WHATEVER THAT MIGHT BE. I RECALL AN FEW OLD SAYINGS THAT WOULD MAKE THE WORLD A WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE. "LIVE AND LET LIVE!!" "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!" "SWEEP AROUND YOUR OWN BACK DOOR!" COULD WE TRY??

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thousand

The answer is in the scriptures.

Isn't it always?

Seriously though, nothing in those verses says why Christians will be persecuted, only that they will be. "Just because" stopped being an answer for me when I was roughly six years old, so forgive me if I don't accept it now.

I can't give you the why because I'm not the one doing the persecuting. You'll have to ask the atheists. Christians have been persecuted throughout history (just as Jesus said we would be), I'm sure each group doing the persecuting had it's own agenda.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
At every turn one of your kind opens their mouths and quotes their delusions as a reason, excuse, or answer to something.

Let me give you an example that happens too often at ATS.

Someone comes to the board and posts some obvious pyschological problem they are going through. One of you ill educated primitives shows up in the thread and tells them that they are being attacked by demons or some such nonsense.

The craziest among you encourage the madness of others, and that is dangerous.

The nearly craziest among you are constantly posting total BS claims about the end of the world, and conspiracies of all kinds. You waste our time. Your sources are complete bunkum, and your faith in these sources shows your complete lack of logical rational thinking.

A persecution delusion is standard people with mental illness.

You may want to have yourself committed instead of looking for free psycho-therapy on the internet, because we are not paid to be nice to you the way nurses, doctors, and orderlies are.

Now if you believe in your books, then the answer is in those texts, or so all you seem to say when you don't have a logical educated answer for things.

Sit down and stop crying you made your choices, now live with it, or find
a way out of either your religion or this world, because the world isn't going
to change to help you grow up, our taxes did the best they could for the twelve years
you wasted in school.

Except for the homeschooled, a big thing among faithful, in which case all the problems people of faith cause in the world are their parents fault.

People have answered this question for how many pages now?
Pull your head out of your armpit and read.

Most of the threads posted by angry atheists are from teenagers.
You actually feel bullied by some lonely nerd with zits and braces over the internet.
How pathetic.

Spend less time on the net and go to church or something where others of your ilk can cry about being picked on.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Legalizer]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I can't give you the why because I'm not the one doing the persecuting. You'll have to ask the atheists. Christians have been persecuted throughout history (just as Jesus said we would be), I'm sure each group doing the persecuting had it's own agenda.

Uh huh.
Well, from your posts, I'm getting the vibe that the persecuting is due to the True Word of the Lord etc etc.
So it's just the atheists persecuting Christians now?
Also, I don't think 'Argument by persecution' is a good, well, argument.
I could say that pedophiles 'are onto something' because they are being 'persecuted', but does it give any validity to my argument? Are the 'pagan' religions onto something because they were persecuted by Christians? Or Muslims?
Also, from a historical perspective, the 'Jesus said there would be persecutions' thing could be due to the fact that, well, the Roman Empire kinda loathed Christianity.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Personally, I don't see the use of sinning in a church.
If I were to be a Christian, with my own personality, and I had sinned?
I would repent for it in real life once or maybe twice, but not by going to church and talking to a Priest, I would talk to "God" himself (probably through a prayer at home?), and when I die, (This of course IF heaven and all that exists), I would try to apologize to God personally.

As for the atheïst nitpicking (I'm not an atheïst personally, lol, i'm more of a non-religion man, I believe in the POSSIBILITY of anything).

As said before, I think it's because of those that corrupt the religion, as said a few pages back, some of you christians act like you are directly connected to God, and are superior to all of us because you know the truth and you are enlightened and we are mere sheep in the dark.

And then even worse, some even MOCK us for it.

That and, I guess that most people indeed are Christian on this forum.
Haven't seen that many people that follow the Islam for example (though they could've of course never mentioned it)

[edit on 8/8/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Only if u say catholicism is considered the same as prodestant... which i dont think they are, and put them together. then i think its something like 36% and muslims are like 20%... so really christianity is not the largest religion since its split up into two sects...

They're still all christians if you like it or not. Why didn't you seperate the shi'ites from the sunni too? (both muslim)

I think that both evolution and creationism are theories, both with supporting evidence and evidence against.

creationnism is a religious belief not a theory, there's nothing scientific about it.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by janasstar
I REALLY WISH SOMEONE WOULD ANSWER THIS FOR ME. IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING, THAT ATHEISTS DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD. IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE, WHY DO THEY TRY SO HARD TO FIGHT SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN?

Please don't yell, we're all right in the room here with you

We fight against it because we view it as a kind of mental illness that is plaguing humanity, one which, if given the slightest opportunity to do so, would turn right around and wipe our kind from the face of the earth. We are against it because it is dangerous, and most are too caught up in it to be able to see why we could say such a thing. Live and let live is a great concept that only seems to work when both sides are so evenly matched as to be unable to overthrow the other.

We are much like the concerned family members of a smoker who, despite being told time and time again the horrors of lung cancer, continues to smoke because it's 'his choice'. We're concerned, as it's a habit that seems to smack reason full in the face and yet is so universally accepted as normal that we're seen as the oddballs.

Few things have the power to keep me awake at night with worry. Religion is one of them.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Equinox99, take the demographics of ATS and you'll find something.... most of the religious people are christians. the problem with making a thread questiong something like islam and the koran would be the handful of christians that would crash the thread talking about "islamonazis"
and the problem is that i know only about 1 or 2 muslims on all of ATS... i know that most are christians. you argue over what causes the most dialogue

christianity is the biggest religion on ats, it'll clearly be the biggest target of discussion.

just look at FST, how many threads do you see about islam? not how many threads by atheists questioning islam, how many threads ABOUT islam? now how many threads about christianity do you see by christians?

point made

further point, most people on ATS come from western nations were christianity is the primary religion, atheists from these areas would be more used to arguing with the majority religion.

i find all religion equally ridiculous, just to make things clear.

[edit on 8/8/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
janasstar wrote,

I REALLY WISH SOMEONE WOULD ANSWER THIS FOR ME. IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING, THAT ATHEISTS DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD. IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE, WHY DO THEY TRY SO HARD TO FIGHT SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN? I DON'T BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS, THE TOOTH FAIRY, THE EASTER BUNNY, ETC. BUT, I DON'T FIND IT NECESSARY TO TRY TO OBLITERATE THESE BELIEFS FOR THE ONES THAT DO BELIEVE. I DON'T TRY TO ABOLISH ISLAM, BUDDHISM, ETC. I RESPECT EVERYONE'S RIGHT TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY CHOOSE TO BELIEVE. WHATEVER THAT MIGHT BE. I RECALL AN FEW OLD SAYINGS THAT WOULD MAKE THE WORLD A WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE. "LIVE AND LET LIVE!!" "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!" "SWEEP AROUND YOUR OWN BACK DOOR!" COULD WE TRY??

HOPEFULLY A FEW ANSWERS
1. WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?
2. I never have had an atheist come to my house, knock on my door and tell me why I'm going to hell.
3. I don't want religion taught in science class but thats what a lot of christians want.
3a. Religion is faith based which requires NO proof. Science is fact based and REQUIRES proof.
4. Religion has been the cause of more suffering and wars then anything else, throughout history.

I have no problem with anyone believing what they want. I do have a problem when they try to force their beliefs onto me.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Do the gods of different nations talk to each other? Do the gods of Chinese cities speak to the ancestors of the Japanese? To the lords of Xibalba? To Allah? Yahweh? Vishnu? Is there some annual get-together where they compare each other's worshippers? Mine will bow their faces to the floor and trace woodgrain lines for me, says one. Mine will sacrifice animals, says another. Mine will kill anyone who insults me, says a third. Here is the question I think of most often: Are there any who can honestly boast, my worshippers obey my good laws, and treat each other kindly, and live simple generous lives?

the above quote is from 'children of the mind' by orson scott card (part of the 'enderverse' book series) and pretty much sums it up for me.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I would have thought it was pretty obvious why Xianity is the main focus of discussion about religion itself in all forms, and why atheists also focus on its critical analysis on this site.

I'm sure the vast majority of atheists here were brought up in a culture where Xianity is rammed down their throats whether they like it or not. In literature, art, film, peers, irritating fools harrassing people in the home, you name it, Xianity is the prime religious contact for most people here.

Thus, if atheists are going to criticise religion, why would they spend time pulling apart the Qu'ran, when there are likely less than a handful of muslims here and people have much less experience of that faith? I think the muslims have enough focus in other ways, heh.

If I made a thread saying chapter x, verse y of the qu'ran is a completely illogical and therefore literalism is stupid, would it be worth it?

[edit on 8-8-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

But what that person is also usually saying is, "I'm not only different than you, I'm better than you, because I know the truth and you don't." And that really chaps my hide.

Funny you would say this because I feel this is what atheists are saying when they put that label on themselves.

But you're Christians. So you'll literally have to forgive me if I think that you're alarmingly ignorant, horribly misguided, and have clearly proven that you are potentially dangerous.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by SuicideVirus]

And there you go. Proving that you think of yourself as better than us "Christians"...Thanks for illustrating my point.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Really? You don't think you're right, and that I'm wrong? How is that not thinking that you're better than me? Oh, you think that I'm an okay person, just ignorant, but it I knew The Truth like you, then we could be equals. So you maybe feel sympathetic towards me. Well, how that different than thinking that you're superior to me?

[edit on 7-8-2007 by SuicideVirus]

Really? You don't think YOUR right, and us "Christians" are wrong? How is that not thinking you're better than us?

See, I can do that too. You display all the attitudes that you say you dislike in Christians...We think we have the answers and you think you have the answers. I guess some day we will all find out.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I'm sure the vast majority of atheists here were brought up in a culture where Xianity is rammed down their throats

Darn good point and I fit this description, and this brings up another question,

Why have those brought up Christian fallen away?

Then why are followers of Islam are so dedicated to their faith even though it is much stricter then modern Christian beliefs?

Maybe the Christians aren't ramming the throats as much as you think?

I wonder what will replace it?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Coming back to the question on this thread, I have my thoughts.
I am not a religious person because I have no “faith”. I run my won life, and if my life is not going the way I have it planed then must probably it is my fault.
I am not a atheist person because then I will not have full control of my life, as evolution has a control of atheist life.
Above is what I am, maybe many people are like me and don’t know about it because of society influence.
If you want to break a piece of wood you will proceed by trying to split it in the middle.
This is what Atheist are doing with Christianity.
If you want to disprove the major religious beliefs then your best shut will be to start by the one in the middle, which is Christianity.
When you are done with this one in disproving it, the other two will crumble also because they related to one another.

Only a thought.

Kacou

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

We fight against it because we view it as a kind of mental illness that is plaguing humanity,

Thousand, I might have agreed with you at one point in the history of Christianity, but I don't see Christianity as dangerous at this point, that's not to say it couldn't happen.

I am sure this has been brought up a million times, some athiest run governments have a horrific track record.

Jesus said,

"It is from within, from men' "HEARTS", that evil intentions emerge:

Here is how I cope with the dogma just follow what is good, " love one another,

I don't think telling people to love is a mental illness.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well I've always been an Atheist, but it's not my fault it's just the way God made me.....

Peace....

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
kacou

When you are done with this one in disproving it, the other two will crumble also because they related to one another.

You think it is that organized?

Christianity is a off shoot of Judiasm, so one would have to start there, however, Christians and Muslims think their religious thought was introduced by new prophets and new revelations.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join