It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
What about American Indian beliefs, or Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime?

They're ridiculous as well, but they generally don't have the strength of numbers, or the motivation to kill me. You can see how effective these aboriginal belief systems were at protecting them against the steamroller that is Christianity. Squish.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

And indeed the current popularity of Buddhism, seems to have an untouchable sheen over it. Don't dare criticize teachings of the Buddha that you don't agree with. Don't dare suggest that reincarnation and karma possibly aren't the way the world works.

Are you kidding? If you don't agree with a Buddhist, their response is a shrug. I'm not familiar with Buddhists burning people alive because they don't follow the Eightfold Path.

Now, Muslims, on the other hand, particularly the Taliban, are nobody you want to cross in their own country because just like the Christians of old, they'll gut you to show you the error of your ways. They have no proof that Allah exists, either, but since they haven't been placated by the Masons, they're all up for putting a truck tire around your neck and setting it on fire.

Praise God in all his glory.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I started a thread earlier addressing almost this exact same topic.

And to answer your question, most atheists (i am one, but I ceased the attacks and criticisms a long time ago and have made my peace with god as I see god) attack christians because christians attack us. They are by far one of the two most oppressive and pushy religions on the planet (muslims being the other). Being an atheist, it gets a bit irritating to have "god" thrown in your face on a near constant basis.

In other words, just picture waking up tomorrow (if you are religious) and everywhere you went you saw billboards with GOD IS DEAD on them. And everytime you opened a magazine you saw ads that had pictures of Jesus having sex with mary magdalene. I know this is a bit extreme, but to those of us that are firm believers that there is no god, it gets a bit annoying being subjected a constant barrage of Jesus and religion in general. Does that make it right to act like assholes however? Nope, sure doesn't, which is why I ceased doing it a long time ago. I learned it's better to raise myself above it all.

Also, getting told you are going to hell everytime you see one of those money hungry preachers on tv, gets a bit annoying.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just in case this is already pointed out, I only read the first 2 posts. Bad I know, but I'm busy at the moment. Why constantly try to "bring them down". At least for me it's based off the fact that I have always been shunned for being an atheist by *drum roll* Christians. No one else of other religions seem to be as almost hateful towards other religions then them. This is a generalization, but it is only based off what I've experienced. I can't say that all are like this just the ones that I know.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
First you must understand that Atheists aren't necessarily trying to bring christianity down. It may look like it from your perspective but atheists typically support evolution and christianity has declared war on evolution in the form of Intelligent Design and Creationism.

Now just so noone gets kooky, let me say that I'm not speaking about or for, ALL christians or ALL atheists.

Christians who support ID present false information to disprove evolution and thats what smacks in the face of many athiests. Over the last few years, many ID proponents have tried to get ID taught in schools alongside Evolution. I firmly believe that your beliefs are your beliefs but they have no place in public schools especially when proposed to be taught as fact.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

And indeed the current popularity of Buddhism, seems to have an untouchable sheen over it. Don't dare criticize teachings of the Buddha that you don't agree with. Don't dare suggest that reincarnation and karma possibly aren't the way the world works.

Actually Buddhism actively encourages the questioning and debate of the belief structure. Buddha himself stated to not believe anything one says, even if he himself says it, unless you look into yourself and feel it is true. Debates of believe and philosphy is a healthy and greatly promoted part of buddhist philosphy.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
What do you guys think of this? Why do you not write anything about
the Koran, Torah's or any other holy book?

Here's my effort to redress the balance, equal opportunity criticism for the abrahamic trio:

[edit on 7-8-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

Well christianity is the most widespread religion on the planet
[edit on 7-8-2007 by DarkSide]

Only if u say catholicism is considered the same as prodestant... which i dont think they are, and put them together. then i think its something like 36% and muslims are like 20%... so really christianity is not the largest religion since its split up into two sects...

But yeah i drove behid an aethiest the other day and all the bumper stickers were mocking christianity

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

What about American Indian beliefs, or Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime?
The mythology of both those native cultures is treated with a lot of respect, which again is fine, but is it okay to say, "Sorry, but this "Spiritual Connection with the Land" stuff is bull. So snap out of it, buy a business suit and get a proper job!"?

The reason American Indian beliefs and Aborigines are treated with respect is because they respected the earth they didn't rape the land, they took what they needed, never wasted and didn't leave a wake of pollution. Most organized religions have mammoth buildings that consume energy, and money constantly, they need to campaign daily or weekly for money to support their infrastructure. Idolatry if you wish to call it. Most people think the building is the church. Wrong!

We should have learned from the Native Americans instead of destroying everything they stood for.

Religious organizations try to out do each other with bigger and better buildings. What did the Native Americans do? Respected the land and all creatures on it and never left a mark on it.

Most religions use tactics to scare, they talk about Gods they can not prove exist but want people to believe, they talk about hell, eternal damnation. Think about it! "I want you to believe what I say because that is what is written in this book?" Come on now we live in a physical world. And when something spectacular happens religious people claim that God did it or it's a miracle. Ok! I am game.....Prove it's God's work, in fact prove that God exists.

On the other hand I can not prove God doesn't exist, so at this point I would say we have a stalemate. My personal opinion. I think all of us are God everyone of us and we don't even know it. I don't think there is one omnipotent being, but we are all part of what is called God.

Most religions try to prove they are the correct one or the only one, that in itself is flawed and judgmental, so if it works for you use it, and if you have doubt then question it, but don't ever follow anything or anyone blindly.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
My Opinion:
A little bit of religion goes a long way. Radicals and extremists (from ANY religion) Are wackos. Basically if you don't push your religion on me, I wont spout off... But if you try to make me convert to your world view (or say you're superior to me) I take offense to that. BTW: I'm an agnostic heretic.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Suicide, have you ever heard of the Bonpos? They and the Buddhist had somewhat of a holy war with the Buddhist suppressing the folk shamanistic, animistic religion of Tibet, called Bon, And Zen Buddhism and their pro WW 2 backing,

Then there are the

WARRIOR-MONKS OF 16th CENTURY JAPAN
www.geocities.com...

www.tamilnation.org...

We have westernized views of buddhism

www.geocities.com...

www.lankaliberty.com...

I too was shocked

Fighting monks of Shaolin
www.buddhismtoday.com...

I too think people single out Christians, and in so doing fullfill prophecy.

Also not unlike Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, and Islam all believe in the end of the age, and hell, buddhism has many hells.

Hell R Us
www.khandro.net...

Dalai Lama Says Terror May Need a Violent Reply

Dalai Lama, winner of Nobel Peace Prize and one of world's most prominent advocates of nonviolence, says it might be necessary to fight terrorists with violence,

select.nytimes.com...

[edit on 7-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I feel that the reason everyone is harping on the Christians is:

1) They are the largest religion in the 'civilised' world
2) They are the pushiest religion in the world. (have you ever seen the Jehova's Witnesses? They are another 'offshoot' of catholicism and they have the nerve to bother me at home!!:flame

3) Being the largest religion in the western world they have the BILLIONS of dollars to advertise, campaign, pay off politicians etc. to get more exposure

Any time someone puts religion in front of me forcefully then I will forcefully show them the error of their ways, and that goes for any religion. I love a good debate!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You must understand though, I personally do not care about what you believe. If you wanna believe in a green shoe thats your belief. I do not criticize you for what you have faith in. However I come on here I see people bashing Christianity the most. I mean I have spoken to Muslims and they can debate pretty well too. I have spoken to a Jew they have great debate sessions too.
All I am trying to say is if you attack one Religion, then why not attack them
all for having a holy book, having their own Gods and deities and having their own unique beliefs.
That is what makes this world unique. I say if you do not like something, then do not do it. I am not here to turn Atheists into believers, all I am doing is trying to see why they have a grudge against Christianity and not other
religions.
Yes Christianity is the most dominant religion in the world. They have 2.1
billion believers, that is a lot, Islam has 1.2 billion people which is a lot as well, Hinduism has 900 million people. I mean if this is not a lot of people
then I do not know what is considered a lot now a days.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I feel the same about Christianity as any other religion; it's just that living in America I get to see how ridiculous Christians can be. Anyone ever seen Jesus Camp? Anyone ever driven through the south? People are so gung-ho about Christianity it makes me sick to my stomach. And then to think how Christianity just stole all their stories and beliefs from previous religions and then put anyone down for believing in those religions also just makes me sick. Most Christians don't even know all of the ten commandments yet still worship the bible harder than they care about their own family values. It's just disgusting to me to see people whole heartedly believe in the Christian bible and feed it to their children like it's the honest truth. Bleh!

[edit on 8-8-2007 by xstevenx]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Hey, if Islamists or Buddhists etc flooded these forums with threads like 'This is why Islam/Buddhism etc is right and everyone else is wrong', I would take the flamebait.
Also, the main problem with the aforementioned threads are the rampant I am the world logical fallacy:
'If I am a Protestant/Catholic/Eastern Orthodox follower etc, my views on religion are right, everyone else' are wrong and they can go to hell for all I care.'

I've got a question as well:Why all the 'Jewish Observations and Revelations' threads?
I mean threads that start with 'After some study I have found that the Jews control the world/dominate the media/poison wells'. They're about as annoying as the 'My religion is the ONE AND ONLY TRUE RELIGION' threads.

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
They're ridiculous as well, but they generally don't have the strength of numbers, or the motivation to kill me. You can see how effective these aboriginal belief systems were at protecting them against the steamroller that is Christianity. Squish.

Well, when you decimate/enslave/torture the native populace until they give in,
The main problem with your argument is that these belief systems were static in nature:They didn't openly proselytise.
Maybe you'd view it differently if Native Americans spread a bioweapon in your town, tortured and killed those survivors that didn't change religion, and destroyed any non-Native American religious texts and icons.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Interesting topic.

I am a Christian, however; I too tired of the closed mindness and lack of logical thinking within many in the church. In fact, I haven't attended a church for about a year. I've been thinking about going back, but get irked by much of what I hear and see. In fact, I know of at least 2 "ministers" that were accused of rape or sexual misconduct, and in one incident was not at all happy with the results (the other the church expelled the minister and supported the victim).

I think Science and Faith can coexist and are not mutually exclusive. I think that both evolution and creationism are theories, both with supporting evidence and evidence against.

I will tell people about my faith, and about Jesus, but normally only if asked, or if the situation/discussion gravitates towards it. I do not try to be "pushy" as it tends to turn people away from the topic all together.

While many (I would say most) christians do a poor job of representing themselves, their faith, and their church with poor information, hypocracy etc...I think many athiests do the same. I have read many stories of what christians "are" and what they beleive, that frankly are just as ignorant as many "bible belt" christians are about trying to debate evolution/creationism.

One thing that really irks me is the "religon kills people and starts wars."

POLITICS and GREED start wars. Religion (and/or patriotism, nationalism, or any other "ism") is used to get the people to follow along. Especially in cultures were the people aren't allowed to interpret their relgion (or are too illiterate to read their Holy text), but must follow a religious "leader". The Crusades for Christians and the current Muslim extremism being two good examples.

But I do have a bone to pick here.

In fact, in the 20th century, the number one killer of people isn't religion, but ATHIESM, in the form of marxist communism. How many from the Russian orthadox church or supporters of the CZAR died when the bolsheviks took over? Or in Stalin's various purges? How many did the Khemer Rouge kill due to their Catholic affliliation? How about ChiaCom suppresion of Tibet Buddhism? Or it's early (even current crack downs) on Christianity? How many students protesting for democracy and freedom of religion and speech in Tinnammin Square? Or the Soviets in Hungary and Czechoslovakia in the 50's and 60's? Or Afgahnistan in the 80's (in hindsight, probably should have let them just deal with afgahnistan) North Korea and Vietnam have pretty good records their too on suppression of peoples, secret policy, torture and murder. Hitler attempted to wrap the Riech in quasi Christian terms, but was as athiest as anyone. We don't need to even add his numbers in do we? Seems like the athiests get on their murder kicks too, so don't come high and mighty and declare how that religions start the wars, kill, and oppress. Because the athiests probably in the 20th century alone.

I'd say several people here need to let that brew a little, because it isn't often pointed out.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Sr Wing Commander]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Great post SR Wing Commander!

People mostly look at the negative aspects of every Religion and culture
before they start looking in the good. Like I said before everything you take
into consideration has a positive and negative part to it.
Science is good because we have come along way since using lamps as our
light source, but it is also bad we created nukes, missiles and other weapons
of mass destruction.
Religion is the same, it is good some people follow its morals and ethics,
it is bad that some try to push their beliefs upon others.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sr Wing Commander
But I do have a bone to pick here.

In fact, in the 20th century, the number one killer of people isn't religion, but ATHIESM, in the form of marxist communism. How many from the Russian orthadox church or supporters of the CZAR died when the bolsheviks took over? Or in Stalin's various purges? How many did the Khemer Rouge kill due to their Catholic affliliation? How about ChiaCom suppresion of Tibet Buddhism? Or it's early (even current crack downs) on Christianity? How many students protesting for democracy and freedom of religion and speech in Tinnammin Square? Or the Soviets in Hungary and Czechoslovakia in the 50's and 60's? Or Afgahnistan in the 80's (in hindsight, probably should have let them just deal with afgahnistan) North Korea and Vietnam have pretty good records their too on suppression of peoples, secret policy, torture and murder. Hitler attempted to wrap the Riech in quasi Christian terms, but was as athiest as anyone. We don't need to even add his numbers in do we? Seems like the athiests get on their murder kicks too, so don't come high and mighty and declare how that religions start the wars, kill, and oppress. Because the athiests probably in the 20th century alone.

I'd say several people here need to let that brew a little, because it isn't often pointed out.

Except all of those have nothing to do with Atheism and everything to do with Communism and/or Fascism. It wasn't a disbelief in the supernatural that got all those people killed, it was the power hungry champions of modern-era totalitarianism seeking to control the world that did. And before you say it, no, there is no correlation between the absence of faith and the absence of morality, so it wasn't a disbelief in a higher power or divine retribution that allowed Stalin, Lenin, Pol Pot and Hitler to do the things they did. It was greed, hate, selfishness, and a desire to rule all that led to the murders of anyone inconveniently in the path to the top.

Originally posted by Equinox99
Science is good because we have come along way since using lamps as our
light source, but it is also bad we created nukes, missiles and other weapons
of mass destruction.

Every technology that has been used to kill has had an alternate, peaceful use. It's the people behind the science and not the science itself that causes the destruction: guns don't kill people, people kill people, as it were.

Religion is the same, it is good some people follow its morals and ethics,
it is bad that some try to push their beliefs upon others.

Do people really need religion to be morally just and ethical? (It's a rhetorical question, by the way)

[edit on 8/8/2007 by Thousand]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
(Matthew 10:22 NKJV) "And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.

(2 Timothy 3:12 NKJV) Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

(John 15:19 NKJV) "If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

(Matthew 5:44-45 NKJV) "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, [45] "that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by katco
Scripture

That's great and all, but is there a point packaged in with it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join