It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Try to see it from our perspective for a moment. Any time somebody gives themselves a label, particularly a religious label, they're saying, "I'm different from you because of what I believe." Okay, people are different. And it would be fine if it stopped there.

But what that person is also usually saying is, "I'm not only different than you, I'm better than you, because I know the truth and you don't." And that really chaps my hide.

Most Christians don't feel like they're making that statement, but they basically are. Just like all Jewish people are saying, "We are God's chosen people." With the implication that, "You're not." Any time you define yourself like that, you're implying that you're better than me and anyone else who doesn't agree with you.

And, since you have absolutely nothing -- and by that I mean absolutely nothing -- with which to back up your beliefs, you might see where that could be a little annoying to others.

These days, it doesn't so much matter. But history has shown that it doesn't take much for a bunch of your type to get together and start burning people like me at the stake. Or maybe rush off to fight a war with the Muslim infidels, who are equally sure that they are better than you because you're obviously disobeying Allah's First (and arguably most important) Commandment by blasphemously claiming that Jesus is also God.

But you're Christians. So you'll literally have to forgive me if I think that you're alarmingly ignorant, horribly misguided, and have clearly proven that you are potentially dangerous.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by SuicideVirus]

That's funny, because what you describe is exactly what atheists do, i.e; you use subjective logic to demean and criticize religious folk while maintaining yourself on a pedestal of "reason and free thought."
Hell, your last line makes my point perfectly for me, no effort required on my part. It's ridiculous how you talk down to Christians for doing the exact thing you're doing to them. You seem to have a massive inferiority complex, maybe you need to get past that before making any more hypocritical statements regarding something you don't understand.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kranil
That's funny, because what you describe is exactly what atheists do, i.e; you use subjective logic to demean and criticize religious folk while maintaining yourself on a pedestal of "reason and free thought."
[/quote[

subjective logic? evidence for these smears?

Hell, your last line makes my point perfectly for me, no effort required on my part. It's ridiculous how you talk down to Christians for doing the exact thing you're doing to them. You seem to have a massive inferiority complex, maybe you need to get past that before making any more hypocritical statements regarding something you don't understand.

ooo, a bit ad hom there. attack the argument, not the other person.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
How come you barely make mention why the Koran is this or Buddhism is that.

Buddhism is not a religion it is a way of life. Buddha was a person so in my opinion you can be atheist and buddhist. And are you under the impression that atheists hate christianity? Just wanted to clear that up

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

A lot has changed since I made this thread. I have turned into an Agnostic because I seen how Atheists are treated but some Christians. Here is a thread that describes it:

Below Top Secret

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I focus on Xtianity because it's what surrounds me in the US. I'm terribly disgusted with the hypocrisy of the Xtian "faith". I'm aware that the Muslims are fairly hypocritical as well, but they're not next to me at the store or in the theatre or at the mall.

I don't have issues with Buddhism and similar religions or nature-based faiths because they make more sense to me.

Remember, you asked.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I am a Pagan and I have seen more than my share of Christians calling me evil and harassing Pagans. I've never gotten this from any other religious group, although I'm sure it does happen, it's just that I haven't seen it. Many Christians absolutely refuse to learn anything about my religion and when anyone tries to inform them that we are not Satan worshippers and don't even believe in Satan, they still refuse to either listen or believe what we're telling them.
Another thing is that I've never had anyone come to my door to proselytize, except Christians. I don't like having Christianity rammed dwn my throat, as many Christians tend to do.

Having said that, I also know many, many Christians who are genuinely good, loving and tolerant people who do not bring up their religion at every opportunity. They live their life according to Jesus's guidelines and I have no problem with that because I believe Jesus lived and that he taught us how to love and how to live - I live according to his principles and always have. But I'm also Pagan and do not like any form of organized worship or having the Church tell me what I should believe in.

I do try to respect other's religions and be tolerant and I do try not to ever think that any one group contains people that are all exactly alike and believe the same thing. It's the intolerant Christians and people of other religions that are intolerant that I have a problem with.

I don't like it when non-Christians accuse Christians of hate, intolerance, etc. because there are many Christians, as I said above, who are really good people and very tolerant of other religions. Atheists and other non-Christians can't expect to make blanket statements about Christians and receive respect and tolerance back, because they haven't practiced it themselves regarding Christianity. Nor do I like to see Christians making blanket statements about non-Christians; some are tolerant and some aren't.

I think also that some Christians see non-Christian opinions as an attack on Christianity, when in fact people are just stating why they don't like Christianity. It's fine to disagree, but respect must come from BOTH sides if we are to live peaceably together and engage in productive dialogue.

To the OP, thanks for asking the question in a respectful way. I'm glad you posted this, it seems like you are truly seeking truth and trying to understand atheists' viewpoint, instead of bating people to attack. I appreciate that, thank you for allowing us to express our opinions.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

A few questions I have (towards Atheists)

We do we have a lot of Atheists who try to bring Christianity down? Why must it always be the bible this, or God that? My point is if Atheists do not follow any religion, then why do they mostly pick on Christianity? How come you barely make mention why the Koran is this or Buddhism is that. I am getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

Do not get me wrong I am not looking for an argument, I am looking for an answer from all the Atheists out there. What do you guys think of this?

OK, Mr Equinox99, I’ll volunteer. As for why we don’t harangue Muslims or Buddhists or others, it’s because there are not enough of them here to matter. Further, we live in a Christian culture. Only the Christian religion plays a significant role in our society. Honestly, I know next to nothing about Muslims and nothing at all about Buddhists. And I have no plans to learn about either from a religious point of inquiry. Of one thing I am certain: All Religions are EQUALLY Bad.

Anyone who studies Christianity in depth must at some time read the seminal work by Sir Edward Gibbons (1737-1794), “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” published in 1776. It is actually a history of the development - say evolution - of the Catholic Church in Rome and Italy. When he published his work, the Catholic Church took very seriously its list of BANNED books. Gibbons hoped to escape banning which could mean the difference in a successful publishing venture and a failed one. History: It is generally agreed the Roman Empire grew out of the Republic when Julius Caesar became the first ‘Consul For Life’ in 41 BC. The end of the Western Empire is frequently given as September 4, 476, when Romulus Augustus, the last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire was deposed by the barbarian Odoacer.

But one German scholar Professor Alexander Demandt published in 1984 a collection of 210 theories on why Rome fell. There is therefore, no consensus why it fell but I heard one historian remark that it was amazing that it took 500 years to FALL! That in itself was remarkable. One theory I like is lead poisoning. The Romans piped water into the homes of the Rich and Famous - our R&Fs - in lead pipes. Lead first makes you crazy before it kills you.

IF God was Just and IF God healed, then we’d have no hospitals or sick people. Christians are goofy. In Lexington Ky, on August 29, 2006, Comair Flight 5191, crashed Sunday morning (the Lord's Day) about half a mile past the end of a runway at the Lexington airport, killing 49 of the 50 people onboard. I have actually heard people say it was a MIRACLE the 1 person survived. I suppose it was an equal miracle that 49 people were killed? Total nonsense unworthy of a 8 or 9 years old child.

Now I’m not going to tell you how old I am but I will say that for more than a HALF century I have heard or seen the reigning Pope offer his Christmas prayer. It's always the same. I could recite it if in an emergency. He prays for peace, of which there has been no time where the world was at peace. He prays for the sick, of which 15,000 died in the US last year from cancer because they had no health insurance. He prays for th hungry, but the Christian Children’s Fund says 27,000 children die every day from starvation or diseases exacerbate by malnutrition. He prays for the homeless but the Pope has 4 palaces and carte blanch anywhere in the world yet in my hometown of Jacksonville, FL, there are 15,000 homeless people.

The Pope claims to be GOD’s voice on earth. It seems GOD is either NOT hearing the Pope or the Pope is asking the wrong things of GOD. It looks to me as if they are NOT speaking on the same wavelength. GOD routinely ignores the Pope. Although this put-down was used against Bush43 it applies equally to the Pope and his adherents: What is insanity? It is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result the next time.

I’m not knocking the Popes any more than I mock Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Oral and his philandering son, Richard Roberts, or the Crystal Chapel guy in CA or the ex-dance instructor in South Florida. They are all frauds. And I’d bet 80% of them are atheists.

Voltaire liked this man's prayer: "Oh God, if there be one, save my soul if I have one."

[edit on 12/29/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by Kranil
blah blah blah

subjective logic? evidence for these smears?

blah blah blah

ooo, a bit ad hom there. attack the argument, not the other person.

If you're asking what subjective logic is, well, I probably should have used the term "subjective reasoning" instead. Basically what I meant was, atheists want to disbelieve in god, so they base their logic around that. This makes it difficult to talk with atheists, because they're predisposed to believe that everything they think is right, and everything you think is wrong. Almost exactly like fundamentalists(which just tickles me pink, let me tell you).

As for ad hominem attacks, I suggest you take a step back and read the post I quoted, particularly this part:

But you're Christians. So you'll literally have to forgive me if I think that you're alarmingly ignorant, horribly misguided, and have clearly proven that you are potentially dangerous..

This is a common trick atheists like to use, i.e; "You're stupid 'cause you think dif'rent than me!", and then promptly calling any response ad hominem. That's why they're all just silly.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kranil

Has anyone on this thread mentioned the very excellent exposition on atheism and its rationale, The End of Faith: Religion Terror and the Future of Reason, by Sam Harris? 346 pages. 2004, by W. W. Norton & Company.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in the logic of atheism.

I also recommend this one "God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything." by Christopher Hitchens. This is Mr Hitchens 18th book.

See and hear him "live" at the following URL
www.booktv.org...

[edit on 1/3/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
i dont really believe in any of the religions stories, but i have to admit there is something ... Spiritual out there, somewtimes i think a combination of all religions is what is closer to the answer,

but through my findings i would "rather" worship Satan than god.

the reason i think many atheists attack christianity is because, oh i dont know, maybe its the largest religion in the world, its imposed on our society (ex. dollar bill - "In god we trust") because christianity keeps pushing itself in our face that is what we tend to deny, also everytime i tell a christian i dont believe in god, they give me this weird look and tell me thats bad that im going to hell, and i just laugh and tell them ill be sitting at the left hand of the Devil sipping a martini,

they tend to get mad after that one, what i dont understand is why they dont just try to be atheist or agnostic, it makes no sense to me

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

you can be atheist and buddhist

To be Atheist and a Buddhist is actually impossible....the two contradict each other......to be an Atheist you simply don't believe in god / a deity, or any supernatural stuff....angels, demons etc...

To be a Buddhist you do believe in god, but that god has no connection to the human life, for example...no matter what you do with your life, it makes no difference to god, god has no impact in your life, it is up to you how you control your life.....and while living that life, you're on a basic quest to reach enlightenment, nirvana or something like that....in other words...your life has nothing to do with god......

So to be an atheist means you deny the very existence of god, but with Buddhism...you accept there is a god, but it's just that you have no ties with god, your life is separate...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

...and while living that life, you're on a basic quest to reach enlightenment, nirvana or something like that....in other words...your life has nothing to do with god......So to be an atheist means you deny the very existence of god, but with Buddhism...you accept there is a god, but it's just that you have no ties with god, your life is separate...

I have two main reasons for not believing in the existence of a personal God or for that matter, in any God at all. First, since the Age of Enlightenment, mankind has learned a great deal about the universe we reside in. I will not attempt to recall all the major contributors to today’s knowledge, but I will always be indebted to Voltaire as best combing all the good qualities of curiosity, insight and thoughtfulness into one man.

Good science has proved beyond a reasonable doubt the Universe began 13.7 billion years ago - but always subject to further refinement as we are able to measure Hubble’s Constant more accurately - from one point, a singularity to outdo all other singularities. For me, it is fairly easy to accept as I think of it to have been “almost infinitely hot, almost infinitely dense.” “Almost” being the operative word.

The harder part for me to conceive of or express, is the notion that before the Big Bang - misnamed for the Great Expansion - there was not only a so small as to be nearly invisible assemblage of all matter, but there was NO space. Blank. Zero. I will not pretend to be able to “comprehend” the idea of NOTHING so let it remain that I do accept that. Not on “faith” but as I also accept Euclid’s geometric propositions without performing them myself. Or the value of pi without doing the division.

I also accept there remains (with no doubt) much more to know about our Universe than we already know. White holes. Worm holes. To name but two of the more recent hypotheses. One of my earliest readings was the best selling book by Sir Fred Hoyle, “The Steady State Universe.” Timely written as a Christian’s counter-poise to the newly concocted proposal of a singularity and expansion, I believe it was Hoyle who in an interview despairingly described the “other side” as proposing the universe began in a “big bang.” It stuck.

I liked Sir Fred’s idea but it was not long after the book's publication that Hoyle admitted he was wrong and the “other side” was more nearly correct in describing the origin of our universe. And thus fell the only serious and respectable effort to rebut the Big Bang. Even Voltaire’s Master Clock Maker is not needed in the Singularity. To even go there is to beg the question. The Universe is here and we do not need GOD.

My second reason is based on my love of archaeology and especially that in the Holy Land. I may have begun with books by William Albright (1891-1971) who was one of the earliest scientific excavators in old Palestine. Wikipedia says this about Albright: “Albright was not, however, a biblical literalist, his Yahweh and the Gods of Canaan, for example, putting forward the view that the religion of the Israelites had evolved from polytheism to a monotheism that saw God acting in history - a view fully in accordance with the documentary hypothesis and the mainstream opinions of the preceding two centuries of biblical criticism.”

I am also much in debt to Dame Kathleen Kenyan (1906-1978) English scholar and archeologist who was the first woman to win international acclaim in what had been exclusively a male domain. She was designated Dame Commander in the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for her outstanding contributions to our knowledge of the Holy Land. "Dame” being the female equivalent to the male “Sir” as in knighthood.

Among others to who I owe much is Herschel Shanks, long-time publisher of the Biblical Archaeological Review - BAR - who was instrumental in obtaining the release to the public of the Dead Sea Scrolls which had fallen into highly self-serving and restrictive hands. I once owned all 40 of the first ten years of the quarterly BAR. And I read and re-read them. And etc.

Finally, Yigael Yadin, although his work at Masada has fallen into serious professional criticism, he is nevertheless an interesting read. He is accused of “salting” the 10 ids that he said represented the final lottery to select the men who would slay the over 800 others rather than surrender to the Romans. Flavius Josephus is likewise called into question as there is no evidence of the numbers (nearly 900) he recited his magnus opus The Jewish Wars. Recent excavations have found 8 skeletons of children and women.

The result is this: what is today referred to as the Holy Bible is no more holy than this writing. The Hebrew Bible or the Christian’s Old Testament was copied from the translation said to have been done in Alexandria by 70 scribes, hence called the Septuagint. There is no proof that any of that is true. But why let the truth stand in the way of a good story? The KJV New Testament we love so much, well, we Protestants “love” it more than do Catholics but that gains us nothing.

Sometime around 325 AD, Emperor Constantine summoned a number of the leading bishops from around the Mediterranean basin to Constantinople and charged them to produce a BIBLE. (I am not sure the Bishop of Rome was even invited to join this group). In any case they reached a consensus on 26 of the books now found in the KJV or AV.

It was sometime later when they finally added No. 27, what is called the “The Revelation of Jesus Christ to John” or for short, Revelations. It apparently was a favorite of a sect of Christians who were close to practicing Greek mythology mixed with the cult of Isis from Egypt. Is it any wonder no one can understand it today? Constantine then had 50 copies made and put one in each church he built or remodeled in Constantinople. None survive to this day.

I often ask whimsically what if the people who named our books in the Bible - we don’t know who or when - had named Genesis instead Origins of the Hebrew People? Heck, we could stop looking for the Garden of Eden and the last remains of the Ark on Mt. Arafat.

And my last offering, what if the verse in 2Timothy 3:16 had been translated “All inspired scripture is given of GOD . . “ rather than what it is, “All scripture is inspired of GOD . . “ The LITERALISTS could go to bed and sleep peacefully. And maybe, just maybe there would not have been Wars of Religion in Europe. The 100 Years War and the 30 Years War in particular. Hmm?

[edit on 1/5/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It wasn't atheists who drove planes into the towers on 9/11. It was religious fanatics. It wasn't atheists who burned people at the stake during the dark ages for going against the dogma of the mother 'church'. It was religious christian fanatics. It wasn't atheist who burned women at the stake declaring them to be witches. It was religious christian fanatics. It was not atheist who cut a swarth of bloodshed, rape and murder all through the OT by orders of their god. It was religious fanatics. It is not atheists who reduce women to the level of an animal with no human rights. It is the religious fanatics. It is not just evil men of no beliefs who molest little innocent children. It is religious evil bastards such as the countless priests and clergy all over the world. It is not the atheist who kill in the name of god. It is the religious fanatics. It is not atheist mothers and fathers who kill their children claiming god told them to do so. Guess who that would be!!!! The three largest religions, judaism, christianity and islam, all claiming to be the children of Abraham, would love nothing more than to destroy one another in the name of their god.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sayso
It wasn't atheists who drove planes into the towers on 9/11. It was religious fanatics. It wasn't atheists who burned people at the stake during the dark ages for going against the dogma of the mother 'church'. It was religious christian fanatics. It wasn't atheist who burned women at the stake declaring them to be witches.

Get real.....

It wasn't Christians that slaughtered the untold MILLIONS under Stalin and Mao, it was ATHEIST FANATICS!

It can actually be argued that more people have been killed by atheist fanatics than religous fanatics in the past century...

Maybe thats's because they believe there is no "eternal" consequence for murder or any other crimes against humanity.

WOW!!! What a great world atheists would produce...

That being said, it is SO SAD to that atheists overlook the most obvious:

Atheisim, like any religon, is a belief...

[edit on 28-1-2008 by defcon365]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon365

As I pointed out in another thread, do you want to compare the bloodshed between Atheist states vs. religious states? Do you really? I don't think you do, because you would run out of atheist-state examples way before I finish a single religious state.

Know how many Iraqis have been killed by the actions of a certain Christian nation in seven short years? Know how many Native Americans died as a result of Christian nations? How many Africans died and were dumped overboard because of Christian nations? How many Jews have been slaughtered time and time again by Christian nations?

Not only is that just the tip of the iceberg, it's the tip of the Christian iceberg! I've got a whole religious glacier here and you've got an atheist icecube.

Shall I regale you with the spread of Buddhism through the far east? Maybe you'd like to know how many people were carved up by the Huitzolipichi cult? How many Greeks, Macedoneans, Cappadocians, Anatolians, and other Mediterranean people were obliterated by the word of an Oracle of Apollo? I could give you hours of enjoyment about hte bloodshed at the hands of Wotan-worshippers and endless war over which patch of land Tengri gave to which horse clan. I could tell you about the Islamic conquest of India, and then the Indian conquest of Pakistan, and then the British conquest of the whole subcontinent.

Not a damn one of 'em atheist.

And those latter examples are overtly religious. They don't take into account simple state action by non-atheist nations. You want a timeline of the Congo civil war? US involvement in Latin America? Annihilation of hte Australian aborigines? The Indian - Pakistani border dispures? Everu single war in Europe from the 11th century on?

[edit on 28-1-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Ok, let's talk numbers...

The Stalinist Purges produced 61 million dead and Mao's Cultural Revolution produced 70 million casualties. This number does not include the countless dead in their wars of outward aggression waged in the name of the purity of atheism's world view.

China invades its peaceful, but religious neighbor, Tibet. Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge kill up to 6 million with Chinese support. All of these actions done "in the name of the people" to create a better world.

Wanna double check numbers, go to Wikipedia...

The fact of the matter is, I am not trying to create a comparison game of who has the higher body count, the POINT is that it's common argument of an atheist to blame "religous fanatics" for all the worlds wars and ills, but not wanting to make mention their own.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18

you can be atheist and buddhist

To be Atheist and a Buddhist is actually impossible....the two contradict each other......to be an Atheist you simply don't believe in god / a deity, or any supernatural stuff....angels, demons etc...

To be a Buddhist you do believe in god, but that god has no connection to the human life, for example...no matter what you do with your life, it makes no difference to god, god has no impact in your life, it is up to you how you control your life.....and while living that life, you're on a basic quest to reach enlightenment, nirvana or something like that....in other words...your life has nothing to do with god......

So to be an atheist means you deny the very existence of god, but with Buddhism...you accept there is a god, but it's just that you have no ties with god, your life is separate...

umm what god?

"Buddhism is a pantheistic philosophy, not a religion. Buddha (the enlightened one) is not a deity, but a philosopher. There are a great many of atheistic buddhists as well, and sects of hindu and taoist philosophy which do not include the existence of gods. "

The logic in Buddhism is perfect compared to christianity. It says if the teaching of Buddha is found to be wrong, then don't believe in it. Not like some other religions, believe or you goto hell!

[edit on 28-1-2008 by AncientVoid]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SuicideVirus

But what that person is also usually saying is, "I'm not only different than you, I'm better than you, because I know the truth and you don't." And that really chaps my hide.

I have seen simular attitudes amongst Atheism.
All too often.
It's all human BS and both sides like to pretend their beliefs supercede their humanity.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon365
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Ok, let's talk numbers...

The Stalinist Purges produced 61 million dead and Mao's Cultural Revolution produced 70 million casualties. This number does not include the countless dead in their wars of outward aggression waged in the name of the purity of atheism's world view.

China invades its peaceful, but religious neighbor, Tibet. Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge kill up to 6 million with Chinese support. All of these actions done "in the name of the people" to create a better world.

Wanna double check numbers, go to Wikipedia...

Well, just to quibble, Wikipedia lists the death toll of the Chinese cultural revolution at about half a million, and that's counting both civilians and the red guard, and the death toll under Stalin at twenty million - and that's taking into account the Russian casualties of World War 2. The death toll under Pol Pot and the khmer Rouge is listed at an "unreliable" 3.3 million, with a "more likely" 740,000. Maybe we're looking at different Wikipedia pages? Or maybe you didn't expect me to look?

However, I think you're missing my point. That being that, you have about seventy years of atheist nations (which you apparently need to make up numbers for) while I have, well, the absolute rest of human history. If you want me to tally up the death toll there, I can try, but I doubt you can pay me for my time, and I'm sure we both realize that religious countries have, by simple weight of time and presence, killed WAAAAAAAY more people than every atheist nation combined.

Also you might want to do a little research on Tibet. Sounds crazy, but the people of Tibet are actually better off under Chinese rule than they were under Lamaic rule. Only by a matter of degrees, perhaps, but at least their children are no longer being abducted to be raped to death by hte ruling clergy.

The fact of the matter is, I am not trying to create a comparison game of who has the higher body count, the POINT is that it's common argument of an atheist to blame "religous fanatics" for all the worlds wars and ills, but not wanting to make mention their own.

No, you're trying to claim that it's okay when your side does it, terrible when theirs does it. Classic "my steaming pile smells like roses" behavior.

Well, the atheists ARE wrong. It hasn't been fanatics, but average run of the mill religious people behind pretty much every single war in history. And perhaps they'd be more willing to own up to their own if you stopped using fake numbers.

Me, I own up to the death toll caused by my religion. Or, well, I would if we had numbers for it. Hell, all things considered, I'd probably go "Damn, wish it were bigger"

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Why do we have a lot of Atheists who try to bring Christianity down?

I hope you will take the time to read this without feeling that i put down Christian people or people of other religions.

-------------------------------
I wouldnt say atheists are trying to bring Christianity down, they are just feed up with the neverending preaches from the Christian communities, from witch I personally think, most atheist are comming from.

I dont consider myself an atheist, cause that would be like belonging to just another religious group.
I consider myself a free selfthinking creation of nature. Noone have ever been able to prove that we are not all just creations of nature.

I was raised in a very mild Christian community, you know the ones that only go to church for weddings, burrials, babtism and all that, but don't really attain the weekly preaches.

This is why my arguements against religion take root in Christianity, cause my roots where surrounded by Christians. And most of my family are still Christians, and my country is primarily of Christian value.

I do believe that people have the right, to believe in whatever they choose as long as they dont force their beliefs onto other people.

--------------

I have read the bible from start to end, and I think it is a great story, with alot of correct moral issues. But I see it only as a story, nothing more.

I have also read alot of books regarding other religions, and they are all more or less, basically trying to indulce some moral issues into people.

So I have learned alot from theese books about right our wrong, but none of the books could tell me about nature, water, earth, air and the importence to keep theese lifegiving forces healthy to provide a healthy world filled with healthy people.

My problem with religion came when i grew old enough to see that most wars and supression of people have roots in different religions!

My problem with religion grew as i learned how people have been murdered throughout the ages due to religion.

My problem with religion grows when i see people putting so much faith in religion, that they forget to think for themselfes and forget to realise that there are always two sides to the same story.

My problem with religion persists as i see people ruining the world thrue war, polution and rape of nature, always ending their speaches, praising the lord or allah or whatever religion they believe in.

My problem with religion is basically, that the foundation of religion have been altered to now give power to a few people, to rule over the many.

You can't preach or pray, your way out of the destruction of our waters, the earth and air... witch are the primary concerns for the survival and wellbeing of all life on this planet!

If all the time people spend praying and listening to preaches, was spend trying to save this planet, we wouldnt be living in the condition we are facing now.

Religion doesnt grow my crops - The nutritions of the earth and water combined with sun does
Religion doesnt crow my forest - The nutritions of the earth and water combined with sun does
Religion doesnt make me love - I am well capable of doing this myself
Religion doesnt provide my a way of life - I am well capable of doing this myself

It is not the people of the religions I have a problem with, it is the religions themselfs and the people who missuse religions or beliefs, to defend their crimefull actions.

If you wanna know what i believe in? it would be: Nature, love, life, care and peace.

I hope i answered you questions, eventhough i took a little sidestep!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join