It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few questions I have(towards Atheists)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Love your neighbor.. not "Change thy neighbor"

He said this again and again and again, but evidently no one listened.

You make a great point there friend.

I like what my Pastor once said, "People don't change People".

He also said that he's given up on people and even himself, because if God doesn't confirm His Word through His Spirit to us nothing won't change 'for His Good'.

Thanks again for making a nice point there in your post.

God if I don't believe you can change my evil heart, why think that I can give someone else a pure one?,
Connie

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Anytime Connie! And thanks for putting up with my gadfly ways

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
My personal reason for always questioning christianity over other religions is because i used to be christian and i dont know enough about other religions to make reasonable arguments against them. One thing i do know is that im not convinced by any story ive heard about god or the creation of the universe.

(especially scientific ones, i mean years ago we were absolutely sure the world was flat, that the sun revolved around the earth and that flies were made out of thin air from rotting meat.)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I am an Atheist too, but, as Islam is rising here in Europe (in a few decades Islam will be the predominant Religion in Western Europe, and that's the worst catastrophe to hit Europe since Hitler and WWII), I feel i have more in common with Christians (the reasonable ones, at least) than I thought.
What is bugging me about Christians is not their faith, but their ignorance towards the danger of Islam. They even repeat "Islam is Peace". Yes, maybe for Muslims, but not for Non-Muslims. Once again, Religon will bring Death and Terror over Europe, but this time its not the Christians but their ignorance.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZEV93
I am an Atheist too, but, as Islam is rising here in Europe (in a few decades Islam will be the predominant Religion in Western Europe, and that's the worst catastrophe to hit Europe since Hitler and WWII), I feel i have more in common with Christians (the reasonable ones, at least) than I thought.
What is bugging me about Christians is not their faith, but their ignorance towards the danger of Islam. They even repeat "Islam is Peace". Yes, maybe for Muslims, but not for Non-Muslims. Once again, Religon will bring Death and Terror over Europe, but this time its not the Christians but their ignorance.

It's kinda like Santa Claus. For the most part, the myth of Santa Claus did nothing but inspire children to behave and give them a role model of altruism. However I'm sure between age 7 and 10 there were a few kids who got in fights over someone questioning the existence of him.

Of course with Islam, you have it's adherents believing that it is their duty to fight for Santa Claus. In the end, it's still a childs mindset that propels them and any other religion which resorts to force in order to "be right".

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The problem does not exist with the "CHILDREN" although that is what the parents or the "Legal Guardian" would like you to think. In every aspect people use thier children to take advantage of the " MOM and POP world they have created.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Quazga is exactly right, if a religion believes its right then why try to make others believe, shouldnt they just be happy with the thought that what they believe effects them and not worry about other peoples beliefs.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The problem with the islamic 'Children' is, they are either unable or unwilling to question their beliefs. There was never an Enlightenment in Islam as there was in Christianity (though looking at these Anti-Darwinist, one begins to wonder).
However, they don't blast themselves up in trains or stab people on the street.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

God bless you Connie! Well spoken. CONNIE FOR PRESIDENT!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I dislike anyone who comes down on others for their beliefs. It is my humble opinion that God equates to the elephant, and we are all the blind men. Each of us reaches out with our spiritual hand (most often guided by what we have been instructed is the "right" path to reach down) and feel some aspect of God. We conceive of what God is, based on what we feel.

Of course, from my perspective, each of us is just as right about God as each blind man was about the elephant. None of us sees the whole, though like the blind men, we each think we fully understand.

I believe God functions multidimentionally (as we are finding this Universe of ours to be multidimentional, though we can only directly perceive the time/space dimentions) and because we are limited in our dimentional perception, so are we limited in our perception of God.

Therefore... None of us knows "The Truth," but only the small parts that we can perceive.

Your views may differ (and probably do if you are convinced that you know "The Truth").

Any civil discussion would be welcome.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

*chuckle*

You are no irritant nor will I label you as 'raca'. (Matt. v. 22) For even the hard sand in an oyster has meaning; in time it becomes a Pearl.

You are a pearl, my friend, worthy to keep around,
Connie

[edit on 8/13/2007 by Jesus-Is-Real]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

No,...no. Don't bother voting for me, I will let you down at some point. But I know 'One' who won't; Jesus Christ The Righteous. Vote for Him, for God has already.

Even so, thanks Jana I see your heart,
Connie

LOOK TOWARD ----]JESUS[---- WHOM GOD SENT!!!

[edit on 8/13/2007 by Jesus-Is-Real]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I dislike anyone who comes down on others for their beliefs. It is my humble opinion that God equates to the elephant, and we are all the blind men. Each of us reaches out with our spiritual hand (most often guided by what we have been instructed is the "right" path to reach down) and feel some aspect of God. We conceive of what God is, based on what we feel.

Of course, from my perspective, each of us is just as right about God as each blind man was about the elephant. None of us sees the whole, though like the blind men, we each think we fully understand.

I believe God functions multidimentionally (as we are finding this Universe of ours to be multidimentional, though we can only directly perceive the time/space dimentions) and because we are limited in our dimentional perception, so are we limited in our perception of God.

Therefore... None of us knows "The Truth," but only the small parts that we can perceive.

Your views may differ (and probably do if you are convinced that you know "The Truth").

Any civil discussion would be welcome.

I must agree with you. Theres a passage in the Bhavagad Gita where Krishna tells Arjuna that those who think they know me in truth do not.
Only the pure devotee can know me because he knows that im unknowable.
We are limited by our material senses as they are extremely imperfect. But all real bonifide religions were sent from God through his Avatars, Acyras, and his countless incarnations. God and his representatives teach according to time, place, circumstance, and intelligents. no one and i mean no one person, people or tribe own god. To know the truth or become a pure devotee you must submit to God. I dont mean submit like a slave I mean give yourself to god. When you speak speak of the lord, when you eat only eat that which is offerd to the lord, when you sleep dream about the lord, and when you think think of the lord. Give up your worldly possessions to come before the lord. when you submit to the lord or renounce the material world then you can start to know god, and understand what he wants from you. Until then you must rely on a choosen scripture or sastra. what religion or sastra??? That is for the individual to decide.
But what ever religion you choose you must follow with faith or you are just spinning your wheels and doing more harm then good.
As far as leaving someone to there own beliefs. I dont necesserely believe that s the right thing to do. There are alot of people out there who are lost, and need a beaken of light. As children of god we are all breathern no matter what we believe. And I am my brothers keeper and therefore try to help them as much as I can. I may not have my spiritual eyes yet but I do have a spiritual flashlight direct from god. I see alot of people who dont understand there scripture or dont want to follow it. I feel these people need alot of help especially because they seem the most vocal and as Jesus said .. he who breaks the least of the commandments or teachs other to will be called least in heaven.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by plague
As far as leaving someone to there own beliefs. I dont necesserely believe that s the right thing to do. There are alot of people out there who are lost, and need a beaken of light. As children of god we are all breathern no matter what we believe. And I am my brothers keeper and therefore try to help them as much as I can. I may not have my spiritual eyes yet but I do have a spiritual flashlight direct from god. I see alot of people who dont understand there scripture or dont want to follow it.t I feel these people need alot of help especially because they seem the most vocal and as Jesus said .. he who breaks the least of the commandments or teachs other to will be called least in heaven.

I agree that those who are seeking should be welcomed and taught whatever they are willing to learn, but one must be careful not to label others "lost." One who may seem closed into their own beliefs - seemingly "lost" perhaps - may not be seeking. And those who are not seeking are not "lost."

As for scripture... Most claim to be the "only" truth, so I must believe that the human ego entered into their creation, obscuring some things, distorting others. And so I look for the common elements as signposts. And since I also cannot accept any scripture that delineates worth by sexual configuration, I also must suspect the ego rather than the Font as the source of those such words.

But that is me, and I would never say another must perforce touch my piece of God.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Wouldn't you say thats ignorance though? I mean if you do not understand a
religion you read up on it. So why do you just "attack" a mainstream religion
rather then read up on some facts and make it a more widespread debate.

If you keep talking to the same people about the same thing then you will
get the same answers as before. Why not do a little more research and
see what other cultures need to say about the subject?

Hmmm...this being a 'western' forum - most of the religious zealots and loonies (well, all of 'em really) posting here are overwhelmingly Christian!! That's why it's always about christianity - simple really. And to be honest, if the threads these people tend to start came from any kind of rational, logical, educated angle - they wouldn't get thrashed like they do
And they always do.

J.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Sorry - you would never get my vote - not in a thousand years. The last thing the world needs now is another religious zealot running a country who want's to 'show us' the 'truth!

The Taliban are pretty hot on this stuff too... Religious belief was created by clever men (shamans) in order to gain influence and power over their superstitious fellow tribal members. It worked all those thousands of years ago - and evidently for some - it still does

J.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
i would have voted fidel castro,

2 problems- too young to vote and totally different country (canada)

funny story, here in this country i call home we had elections in schools to vote for parties (we have multiple ones here as opposed to just two), it was not legal it was just to find out what the students thought. I voted communist (for fun) and when i told people they freaked, a teacher actually lectured me about why communism was bad. I enjoyed the whole thing it was funny.

Ya this is totally off topic so ill aded something about athiesm....uh....oh i think that if their was a god he and the devil would have no power over athiests, mainly because we have not given ourselves to the power of these gods. So we athiests would be the truly free people after death. As for heaven well, read my signature.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I am an athiest. I feel that a real athiest does not despise or hate christians or islams or whatever the religion is. An athiest just does not believe in a book of fairy tales to live by. Some athiest do not belive in a god or whatever. My idea of being an athiest is that I don't think that I should worship a book of fairy tales, and lets face it people that is what it is. If you would see for yourself what was NOT in the bible then you would question religion too. I feel that common sense and morals will take you as far as you need to go. I don't believe in a heaven or hell. When you die that is just what happens...you die then decompose.
In my case, I attack certain christians for one reason and that is because I am so sick of these people pushing religion onto me. It is overwhelming and senseless to me. I feel anything that causes so much hatred is truly a worthless cause. I think that religion is mind controlling and most religous people are "brain washed" and I don't need that. Most religous people do think they are above others and I have names that probably mean nothing to anyone else but me to prove this. It is fine for people to have a reason to live and if religion is one of them then so be it but keep it in church or your personal life, not in public. It gets offensive sometimes.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
As for scripture... Most claim to be the "only" truth,...

The True God, rose from the Dead seen by over 500 men afterward.
That is never happened in Histroy, a man raising himself from the Dead.
If He can do this, then the Life that I experience in me is of that same
Christ Spirit that rose Him from the Dead. It is truly a Supernatural Word and Life we Christian's live. I so wish I could explain it to you, but that would ruin the desert. I can't anyway, my own words can't convey. But when God 'happens to you' you will understand what I'm saying.

Anyway~~~
Jesus told the Pharisees that they would be given a sign - before it happened; the sign of Prophet Jonas and it happened after Christ spoke it out. Just like how He made creation, He spoke it out and so it was. (Have you ever had someone speak a very kind word to you and it just made your whole Day, you felt a bounce in your step and your heart even felt warm inside. The spoken word is very powerful - life and death is in the power of the tongue. So speaking about the side of Life, God spoke and the heavens and the earth were soon bouncing on it's toes and it was warmed after a while.

Back to Scripture you speak of, and what being The Truth......
More than 500 people seen Jesus after His Death, after His Resurrection. Their voices (per se) still rings out. We encompassed with a Great Cloud of Witnesses.

God who has 'happened' to us understand it so clearly. Faith is living and alive, it's not dead. It works with works and is from the very Throne of God.

I'll give you a negtive to see the possitive:
When something rubs you the wrong way, it doesn't actually cut your skin or rub up against you but sitll you experience a tying thing in your life 'the rub'.

Same with God only, let me tell you, that when He "happens to you" you will experience 'the rub' for sure and not too many people can miss it can they? I would say, none can nor will.

Have a good day! :cheer:
Connie

[edit on 8/14/2007 by Jesus-Is-Real]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus-Is-Real
When something rubs you the wrong way, it doesn't actually cut your skin or rub up against you but sitll you experience a tying thing in your life 'the rub'.

Same with God only, let me tell you, that when He "happens to you" you will experience 'the rub' for sure and not too many people can miss it can they? I would say, none can nor will.

Matthew 10:34-37 always rubbed me the wrong way...

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. I came not to send peace, but a sword. ... A man's foes shall be they of his own household." For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

I don't want to have anything to do with someone who would like to rip apart my family.

And Mark 7:9,10 gave me some nasty rubs also...

7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death

I'd rather not kill my children for disobeying.

And this whopper from Acts 5:12...

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

I'm not responsible for the sins of others.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join