It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ron Howard Apollo Film : Shadow of the Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just found out about this film which will premiere September 2007.

Contrary to the title, it looks like a patriotic look back at the Apollo program. Although I honestly think that Ron Howard is a brilliant and talented director, I am kinda kurious as to why this film now. Perhaps his Apollo 13 movie didn't satisfy his thirst for the subject, or we need to be reminded of our illustrious past space explorations.

The trailer looks pretty interesting:

www.intheshadowofthemoon.com...

Excerpt from News Section:

-- In the Shadow of the Moon, a feel-good flick that recounts the gutsy glory of the Apollo space missions, has become the first documentary hit at this year's Sundance Film Festival.

Director David Sington's film, which uses previously unseen NASA footage and new interviews with 10 surviving Apollo astronauts to illuminate the historic space program, played this week to sold-out Sundance crowds and became the festival's first nonfiction film to be sold to a distributor.

I am especially curious about the "previously unseen NASA footage".
Oh yea.....like what has been held back for nearly 40 years?

I look forward to your thoughts on this. The lunar landing skeptics and proud Americans who are certain we went there.

regards....kk

[edit on 7-8-2007 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It was screened for NASA employees and appears to be mentioned very favourably on NASA Deputy Director Shana Dale's blog here.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 7-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
It was screened for NASA employees and appears to be mentioned very favourably on NASA Deputy Director Shana Dale's blog here.

Wow thanks VK, I especailly like this quote from your link:

I mentioned to David that I was disheartened because I had been reviewing some blog entries someone sent me and they were all about the theory that the Moon landings were a hoax. For those of us who were alive during those Apollo missions and watched the events on television leading up to the first landing, it is inconceivable that these missions were staged and filmed on some Hollywood set. There is no way anyone could realistically keep the lid on a hoax of such epic proportions.

Read: They watched them on TV....they must be real.

Nice find....regards...kk

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If you liked that you'll love this... want NASA's new slogans and "Media Construct" or how about the new PR Czar? Spacef Link reporting Internal Memo and the new guy with the new message at this NASA page. He was appointed June 6th... works fast - puts out fires. Interesting history.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 7-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Wow...thanks again Vic. Sounds like the NASA PR machine is fixin' to get wound up big time.

Plus, your links allowed me to get more info on Shana Dale who you mentioned in your prior post.

www.nasa.gov...

Quite a lengthy political past. No wonder she was nominated by Bush.
( Not a bad looker either. )

Thanks again...much obliged....kk

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I read a quickie impression of the movie. I want to see it, but will wait for DVD or maybe if it were to come to Ontario Place... But then again I am of that age that followed from the time of Sputnik. Who knows?

The next Kubrick? Ron Howard is a great movie maker... almost like those of the "Golden Age" of Hollywood? Having one's own historical perspective to measure against the re-constituted Hollywood version leads to some "historical" accounts coming off as theatre, sometimes worse. I really thought some portions of Hanks' From The earth To The Moon were good but "jazzed up" a bunch. One does have to sell movies if one wishes to make them... NASA powers imagination!

Cheers,

Vic

top topics

join