It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions to crash Premier's meetings in Moncton.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Nurses from across the country are demanding that health care top the agenda as Canada's premiers prepare to meet in Moncton, N.B., this week.

"We are going to crash their party to try to bring the health human resources issue to their attention," Linda Silas, president of the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions, said yesterday.

Premiers from all 13 provinces and territories will be in Moncton for the Council of the Federation annual summer meeting, starting Wednesday.

Link to story

The CFNU are looking to keep Health Care and the chronic shortage of health care workers in Canada at the fore front of the First Minister's minds.
The chair of the conference of all the health ministers in Canada said we would meet them in Moncton.

They say in the article that there is 18 MILLION hours given to nurses across Canada each year.
They say it equates to about 10,000 jobs

Thats a lot of extra time by our front line workers. No wonder my friends are always complaining about being burnt out!!!

I will be providing more about this conference as the week goes on.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I'm a nurse and I'm waaaay past burnt out. Have been for years. With Canada's socialized medicine health care program, I'm surprised they can find any nurses willing to work at all. I am currently doing (by myself) a job that used to be done by 4-5 nurses. I have never once heard the higher ups say, "kudos, well done, thank you." I do hear them say on a daily basis, "you didn't restock the supply cart, we're not paying you for working through your lunch break and if you didn't get to pee during your 8 hour shift, too bad-quit drinking coffee before you come in." I once had my blood sugar drop to 16! I've coded people with higher blood sugars. My head nurse told me to "pass your noon meds and you can go to lunch." If it had been one of her patients with that blood sugar she would have been stomping down the hall with the crash cart and hollering for someone to call the doctor but since it was just another nurse she expected me to "soldier on" and don't drop dead until after I clock out. It's an abusive profession and we get no respect from the doctors, fellow nurses, administration, families, patients, housekeeping. The list goes on. We're basically slaves and are expected to donate our free time (unpaid) for community health clinics, etc. I hope those nurses can make their voices heard. I've been doing this for 27 years but I foresee socialized medicine coming to America so I'm currently in the process of learning a new trade (at 49 years old) to escape having to be a nurse in such an environment. Keep us posted on what you find and thanks for the info.

new topics

join