It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban launch frontal attack on US base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Taliban launch frontal attack on US base

news.yahoo.com

GHAZNI, Afghanistan - A group of 75 Taliban militants tried to overrun a U.S.-led coalition base in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, a rare frontal attack that left more than 20 militants dead, the coalition said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is extraordinary. I was in Afghainstan from 2005-2006 and nothing like that happend. I do not recall anything on that scale happening prior either. I am surprised that the Taliban would try to do this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I would say they were trying something bold, copying from the insurgents and terrorists in Iraq. They were hoping to get something out of this, like capture of American troops or showing the dead for their propaganda purposes.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 7-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I was thinking they may of become very desperate.

Pakistan has been really delivering the pain to the Taliban since the low level insurgency began last month there. The Taliban is being squeezed in a vice between US-Afghan and Pakistani forces. I just hope they dont stop squeezing till the Taliban are crushed.

Pakistan bombards militant hide-outs
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sounds like those militants were on a suicide march for sure. The only reason they've survived this long isn't because they fight head to head its because of their gierrilla warfare tactics. If all the militants came out of their hole and fought this war would have been done a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hopefully if we are lucky the rest of the Taliban can try their luck at the same tactic and we can end the Afghan phase of the war.

Its wishful thinking though, the Afghans are not stupid. They learned alot from fighting the Russians and from the insurgents in Iraq, they know that all they have to do is keep killing Americans and eventually the wimps back home will demand we give up and leave.

new topics

top topics

join