It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does space end?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
No, space is a closed loop system.

Reality is a complex vibration set on the surface of a 10 dimensional sphere.

If you traveled far enough in any given direction, you would return to your starting point eventually.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

The material Universe just kind of "soaked" into existence, like water through a paper towel. But I'm sure there are smarter people than myself who would disagree with me.

That was just......... b e a u t i f u l

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmoebaSized
Yes, space ends. Back in 1964, Preries (spelling) and Wilson of AT&T Bell Labs found the background radiation (left over from what is preceived to be the Big Bang) all around. So yes, Space does end even if it is expanding. At the boundary, it is a few tenths of a degree above absolute zero all around any direction you care to look. (The background radiation boundary.)

The CMB boundary is not the edge of the universe the area mapped is known as the "last scattering surface".

I'm still learning about this but so far, I'm inclined to believe the whole thing is a fraud of immense proportions.
Did you know the instrument collecting the radiation from the sky has only one input with a 7 degree radius.

Then there's this, The CMB curve
and this, "Axis of Evil" a cause for cosmic concern

The CMB is meant to be definitive proof of the big bang, nothing could be further from the truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If space is a looped system, then there is nothing outside the loop? Just nothing? There is always something behind something. I think we cannot comprehend this, with our little brains. And we can educate and do math what we want, but it will take a long time IMO, to be sure what and how space really works, and if its infinite.. The things that are now being proven, are proven on paper..

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Does Space End ?

Well, let's say that our universe is expanding, it has to expand into something, so that something has to be well, empty space, so while our universe has an end to it, the space it's filling does not have an end to it.

In Theory, mind you.

So, going by that theory we can speculate that there might be other Universes [an oxymoron as Uni means One] out there doing the same in the greater MultiVerse of all that there is out there.

Again only a theory, none of this can be proven as fact.

Now to really bend your brain there's also infinite dimensions in the greater MultiVerse. A great Science Fiction Writer once said, " The Universe Is Not Only As Strange As We Can Imagine, It's Stranger Then We Can Imagine It" and so far, he's been right.

- W -
* What's weird is I can imagine some pretty strange stuff as it is *

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pazzzzz
If space is a looped system, then there is nothing outside the loop? Just nothing? There is always something behind something.

Not nothing, it's the infinite anything I talked about in my earlier post.
A fractally infinite and infinitesmal arena of matter/energy for us privilaged consciousnesses to bring into our experience.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hlesterjerome
No, space is a closed loop system.

Reality is a complex vibration set on the surface of a 10 dimensional sphere.

If you traveled far enough in any given direction, you would return to your starting point eventually.

True. In my personal opinion, "What start's, end's". But in this case. I agree completely with you.

P.S. My first post

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras

Originally posted by styxxz
Cool topic OP.
I don't think the universe has a definable size and I believe it's never ending.

This stuff about expanding universe, hmmm, considering no one knows the size how can we be sure it's expanding. Sure we observe galaxies receding from us at an accelerating pace, but that doesn't *prove* the universe is expanding. Rather something out there is pulling on these bodies making them move away from us. Even if the universe is expanding, why are these bodies moving away. My guess is there's something massive out there we've yet to detect.

To sum up, I think the universe is infinite. There may be places in the universe where nothing exists (void), but that doesn't mean that's not part of the universe. Also, regarding multiverse. No reason to assume that multiple *verses (dimensions) can't exist in the universe.
WOW does that make sense

There are a number of reasons to support the idea that the universe is expanding, and they are pretty well documented. Here are some of them:

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

He has a very good point. Space was thought to be one of three shapes: a sphere, a flat plane, or a hyperbola (like the shape of a saddle or pringle's chip). If it was shaped like a sphere, than it would eventually re-collapse and space would be finite. If it was a flat plane, space is barely infinite. If it was a hyperbola, it would expand forever. I believe through observations of space through different wavelengths, it is basically accepted that space is flat and would just barely expand forever.

PS: I am an astronomy minor
And it is my first post as well

[edit on 8-8-2007 by midnightrider07]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
hmmm u know space expanding forever is a very plausable theory if u ask me nicely done

my theory is that space 3d no matter how big is surounded by blackness from all sides,and in this blackness its like a black hole...when u reach it u go into another reality/dimension/time/universe/or reapear in another point/or else
if u think thats also very plausable

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I believe space is expanding.It has been proven to some extent that it is expanding. They used spectroscopy (the study of light) to figure out that stars and other celestial objects are moving away from us thus meaning the universe is expanding. If the universe is expanding and if dark matter exists then eventually it could start coming back in on itself much like the big bang in reverse.] and come to and infinitely dense point.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
so its official space its expanding....and there is black matter surrounding it...i guess black holes come from that....if the black matter turnes back we all die

the space is awesome indeed

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Black matter (if it exists its still in theory) is inside of the universe. and black holes are stars that have died and collapsed in on themselves and continue to collapse in on themselves forever so they are infinitely dense and these black holes weigh so much that there gravitational pull is so great that they swallow planets and stars and even light .that is why they are black and you cant see them.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
o damn i forgot such an easy one.
well in the ends that the universe isnt expanded yet there must be complete darkness?like that everything that goes there stops existing...couse things exist in the universe?
this should be the worst possible way to die...u just stop existing

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stove167
Black matter (if it exists its still in theory) is inside of the universe. and black holes are stars that have died and collapsed in on themselves and continue to collapse in on themselves forever so they are infinitely dense and these black holes weigh so much that there gravitational pull is so great that they swallow planets and stars and even light .that is why they are black and you cant see them.

Let me explain more about dark matter from an astronomy standpoint:
Lets compare a galaxy to a sink drain. Lets say you have a bunch of giblets (amazingly underused word) that all weigh the same. If you look at the giblets as they go down the drain, the farther out you are from the sink, the less they are moving. The same with gravity (hypothetically). However, the galaxies we have observed are moving at the same (average) speeds. Using the Doppler Effect (wikipedia for more info) we have seen that galaxies are all moving at the same speeds. i.e. a star 1 light year from the center of a galaxy is moving the same as a star 50 light years away. It is hypothesized that something is exerting force on the outer parts of the galaxy making them move faster that we cannot see within the visible spectrum (hence DARK matter).

Also, right on about black holes

edit: I would honestly like to keep existing as long as possible

[edit on 8-8-2007 by midnightrider07]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
My god, the ignorance is running rampant, the theory of expansion is totally flawed, as Halton Arp has already proven. When quasars were discovered in the 60s they believed because of their high red shift, that the were at the far reaches of the space, that being the case, their brightness cannot be explained by any known means, but if their distances are judged as being close to the respective nearby galaxies by observation, everything is as expected. Quasars have even been observed in front of other galaxies with lower red shift.
If you map the distances according to redshift under this false assumption.you would see that it appears that these galaxies all have a path that points back to the earth, are they saying that the earth is the center of the universe? that's what the hypothesis shows, it is very much similar to a flat earth mentality.

The brilliant Edwin Hubble offered two alternatives regarding his discovery of red shift, The Big Bangers immediately jumped on the one that suited their theories without any real scientific investigation. Even Mr hubble highly doubted the expanding universe theory and favoured the more likely "tired light hypothesis".

Don't believe the Wikipedia rubbish when it comes to the universe. Look further.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
squiz, what is the tired light hypothesis?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The problem with the devices that can "detect" the size of the universe is they have a range of detection. Like radios and all the wireless crap. it has a range.
They say they detected the edge cause they have reached the devices detection range limit.

People want to think the universe ends cause they cant grasp the fact of anything infinate.

Just cause the scientists say so doesn't mean its true.

I also think the big bang is bull crap.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightrider07
squiz, what is the tired light hypothesis?

Basically the theory is redshift is produced from light that is losing energy as it travels through space, possible as it collides with particles, although that also doesn't quite add up, their isn't enough matter for that to occur. The other possibility is that it loses energy as it passes through the zero point field or the ether.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
My god, the ignorance is running rampant...

Sorry. Most of us didn't study astrophysics in college. But, we do find this subject fascinating. If you want to discuss this with people who are experts I suggest you go to an astrophysics forum.

Remember, this thread started off asking:

Originally posted by NateNute
Does space end? Or is it one of those things that give you a head ache because something never ending is just not understandable....opinions?

I believe the poster was looking for peoples opinions. So, please don't get upset when people's opinions don't coincide modern day cosmologist's.

Originally posted by squiz
If you map the distances according to redshift under this false assumption.you would see that it appears that these galaxies all have a path that points back to the earth, are they saying that the earth is the center of the universe? that's what the hypothesis shows, it is very much similar to a flat earth mentality.

Could it be that this theory may be flawed due to a one plane perspective? i.e.: witnessing these redshifts from only our star system? It would seem difficlut to calculate the distance of a car using it's speed as a constant when viewing it from head on.

just asking ... I'm self-admitantly ignorant on this subject and still trying to understand the theories.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The big bang is bull crap.
First, no fixed point explosion can create an infinite.
Second, They say the estimated birth of the earth is 4.5 billion years ago right?
Well they also said the universe was "Born" a couple of billion years back.
now at the same time they say the birth and death of a star can create all the elements of the periodic table. That means The universe can sustain itself forever.

They say the warmth of space is leftovers of the big bang. Wrong. There still are stray particles in space taking up stars heat and releasing it.

I still dont understand the expanding universe crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join