It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists reveal secret of levitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Scientists reveal secret of levitation

news.yahoo.com

LONDON (AFP) - Scientists have discovered a ground-breaking way of levitating ultra small objects, which may revolutionise the design of micro-machines, a new report says.

Physicists said they can create "incredible levitation effects" by manipulating so-called Casimir force, which normally causes objects to stick together by quantum force.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Casmir force can be observed by looking at a gecko's ability to stick to surfaces. This technology uses the reverse force, and will repel in a vacuum. This technology could reduce friction in nanomachines, and maybe even eliminate friction at one point.

Although they are able to levitate tiny objects, they say they are unable to levitate anything that is not on a micro scale. Scientists say it may be possible one day, but that day is far off.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hi Aces. I read your post and the web site linked and this seems interesting, but as far as I know a gecko has thousands if not millions of tiny hairs on the surface of its "feet" and these cause the suction that we see. I don't understand how scientists will simply "reverse" this effect to cause levitation. How will they reverse this effect?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedEyes
I don't understand how scientists will simply "reverse" this effect to cause levitation. How will they reverse this effect?

They are not reversing this effect in particular, the part about the gecko is just illustrating the Casmir force itself-the force can attract or repel.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Additional info on the Casimir effect, including history of it's understanding and development as a technology: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Everything is magnetism. Magnets work in numbers, the more magnets you have connected, the stronger they can pull, or repel. Connect yourself with Earth correctly, and the magnet Earth, and the magnet You, will combine together enough to make things weightless at the touch of your hand. You already do that now, but you don't have a good enough ground to Earth, you have shoes on, so you can only pick up light weight (strength) objects. Heavy objects are huge magnets that you can not pull away from Earth, because that heavy magnet's force and the Earths force combined are greater than the Earths force and Yours combined.

The Secret Of the Universe Is:

nothing and everything

[edit on 7-8-2007 by 11 11]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ongoing news discussion...

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join