It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

UK seeks Guantanamo men release

page: 2
6
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I think the new UN Human Rights Council should say something. Yeah, the yanks haven't signed the treaty, but still have major influence. The European Court should be supporting all Europeans who are held in Guantanamo.

The U.N.H.R.C. has said "something" a lot of times in the past regarding the treatment and detention of "terrorists" in Guantanamo - but nothing happened. Italy and Germany have open trials against CIA, which have ILLEGALLY kidnappede their citizens and taken them to Gitmo - but nothing happened. The entire Europe has a problem with phantom CIA planes, flying around and landing and taking off wherever they want to and later take whoever they want to directly to the last station of Guantanamo Bay Cuba - but nothing happened. And the more I think about it, the more I see that there is actually a secret deal going on between CIA and the European governments, which actually support this kind of completly illegal action by the American intelligence agencies, so - NOTHING happens.



btw, Road To Guantanamo is an excellent film

Agreed. Makes you think for real, who the real "terrorists" in Gitmo's are...




posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Personally I don't think that the US will have any problems in releasing these men. They will demand assurances that the UK will make sure that they are under control and they will also demand that they are treated humanely by the UK(!) but once they have saved face the men will be released.

The US administration has a huge problem with Guantanamo and if it can get friendly nations off its back by releasing detainees into their "custody" I think they'll jump at the chance.



posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   


they will also demand that they are treated humanely by the UK


Oh sure, this comming from a country, who has flung the geneva convention on human rights out the window. I take this comment was sacarsm???? Kinda a ridiculous request from one of the biggest human rights violator eh.



posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The point being threefold...

1. They can attempt to take a high moral stance (now matter how foolish they may appear once they do so).
2. They can legitimately wash their hands of detainees who are becoming a severe embarrassment.
3. Potential destination countries that might allow detainees to carry on with their less desirable hobbies are also likely to be those which may not pass the humane treatment test which makes it fairly simple for the US to refuse release when they want to.



posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
The point being threefold...

1. They can attempt to take a high moral stance (now matter how foolish they may appear once they do so).
2. They can legitimately wash their hands of detainees who are becoming a severe embarrassment.
3. Potential destination countries that might allow detainees to carry on with their less desirable hobbies are also likely to be those which may not pass the humane treatment test which makes it fairly simple for the US to refuse release when they want to.


I think the people in Guantanamo, once found to be unlawful combatants by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal, should be given a choice--face the American military commissions established for unlawful combatants or face the criminal justice system of whatever country they are from, if America has stable diplomatic relations with that country. It would be pointless to capture an Iranian saboteur, determine him to be an unlawful combatant, and then send him into the open arms of those that hired him in the first place. On the other hand, as someone pointed out, other detainees would probably much rather go through US military commissions than go through their own country's criminal "justice" system.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Luap]



posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
Personally I don't think that the US will have any problems in releasing these men. They will demand assurances that the UK will make sure that they are under control and they will also demand that they are treated humanely by the UK(!) but once they have saved face the men will be released.


Are you kidding me? BushCo does things their way and their way ONLY! They will be adamantly opposed to this just for the sake of being the opposition, and for trying to get the point across that nobody, including their allies will get their requests or demands met unless the U.S. "deliberates" on the issue first. And this coming at the same time as the financial problem with China.... all is not right with the world, especially the U.S, but then again when has it ever been?



posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
OK,

Let's give it a little time and see where we end up. My money is still on an agreement - probably already discussed at the recent Bush/Brown meeting.

I'm guessing that offering a crafty fiver on the outcome is somehow against the T's & C's?



posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
Let's give it a little time and see where we end up. My money is still on an agreement - probably already discussed at the recent Bush/Brown meeting.


I wish so badly to see a transcript of what goes on during those meetings. It'd be very interesting to compare to what Bush tell says to the press.



new topics

top topics



 
6
<< 1   >>

log in

join