It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bell 407/ARH 70 for the tandem RAH 66

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Now that the US Army has abandoned the tandem seat, no passenger RAH 66 for the side-by-side ARH 70 which can take passengers, what are EADS, Agusta and all the rest going to do with their Tigers and Mangustas?

With the end of the cold war and the threat of Soviet armour gone, Europeans are converting the PAH concept to UHT (for instance with the German Tigers). The Westland Lynx had it right all along. We could have had up-armoured EC 155s (ËC 655) instead of the Tiger at half the price (the EADS Tiger actually costs more per unit than a Boeing Apache); or an Agusta A 109 Hirundo to do what the Tiger and Mangusta now claim to be their ARH roles.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaehkimx
We could have had up-armoured EC 155s (ËC 655) instead of the Tiger at half the price (the EADS Tiger actually costs more per unit than a Boeing Apache); or an Agusta A 109 Hirundo to do what the Tiger and Mangusta now claim to be their ARH roles.

Just a note, but the recent acquisition of AH-64s by Greece and other countries indicated that the unit cost for an AH-64 is more like $55m, and the Tiger has a cost that varies from $38m to $50m.

The original unit cost of the AH-64 was $18m in 1984 dollars, which is about £35m in 2006 dollars.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just a note, but the recent acquisition of AH-64s by Greece and other countries indicated that the unit cost for an AH-64 is more like $55m, and the Tiger has a cost that varies from $38m to $50m.

Thanks, I just googled and confirmed, AH-64 costs more than Tiger. Also I saw that a UAE block 60 F-16 costs $80M while a JSF will cost $50M per unit. That doesn't sound right?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I believe that factored into the UAE purchase is numerous pieces of support equipment, training and weapon systems. Wheras that very optimistic price of the F-35 i believe is a case of 'batteries not included'.

Jensy

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That 50 million unit price for the F-35 is most likely the price for the base airframe that doesn't come with the extra goodies that the F-16 Block 60's would be coming with.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Sorry folks, I went back to the home page and realized the RAH 66 subject is a long dead horse. Sorry I brought it up again.

The End

top topics

join