It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov Supercomputers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Any thoughts about supercomputers becoming the super weapon of the future? The possibilities these computers have are limitless. What’s to stop them from using their limitless computing power for destructive purposes, if there not already doing that.

The most powerful supercomputer, BlueGene/L, is currently helping this government program, Stockpile Stewardship: "BlueGene/L is a revolutionary, low-cost machine delivering extraordinary computing power for the nation's Stockpile Stewardship Program." A government program that is doing this, "Maintain the science and engineering institutions needed to support the nation’s nuclear deterrent, now and in the future. Refurbish and re-manufacture weapons and components, as required."

Everything in the quotes is straight of a .gov website listed below.

Links:
www.llnl.gov... ,
www.top500.org... ,
www.llnl.gov... ,
www.nv.doe.gov... (Stockpile Stewardship Program)

[edit on 7-8-2007 by BostonOrange]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If they had something along the line of this: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It'd render it a moot point, and the US government is not going to let anyone else beat them to the punch, as such a system's data deciphering skills would vastly outstrip their ability to encode it..

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
IIRC, NSA owns the bulk of supercomputers, vector and array processors, and general purpose DSP boards produced.

You use supercomputers for nuke simulations, for calculating stealth planforms, for sonar and radar processing, SAR processing, on and on.

The gubmint uses a lot of them. That's one reason they get all excited about the Cell being sold to other governments.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Got to read a bit more into this, but the first thing that springs to mind is that sa computers get more and more powerful (along the current silicon chip based technology we use now) don't they get more and more vulnerable to what I call 'caveman' attacks?

I'll clarify a little - as the processing power increases the build scale decreases dramatically (i.e the size of all the various paths that the electric current passes) either that of the chips get exponentially bigger - not practicable. Also the power (amperage) used for each component gets smaller and smaller (overall the computer will prob use more power - this is individual chips etc).

So in short the tolerances are smaller, finer more delicate.

I would term a cave man attack as any thing from literately a spanner in the works to interferences from poorly shielded equipment, the ubiquitous EMP.

So as a super weapon yhea its possable - but vunerable in so many ways, you could hide it under a mountain, totally shielded guarded by a thousand men - but without the ability to communicate with the outside world (which will at time require using open sections - and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link remember) you could run simulations till the cows come home - all youv'e got in actuality is the worlds most advanced computer weapon with a mountain on top of it!

Where I can see a supercomputer becoming the ultimate weapon is when it is part of the ultimate weapon - off the top of me head the starship Enterprise springs to mind, so todays equivalent would be a super aircraft carrier.

But somethings can be too complicated, after all why do you think they mostly run 386 processors on the International Space Station? (not got a link at mo) it's because the build tolerances are more robust and less likely to be affected be adverse conditions.

P.s. the above only really relates to todays tech (or what we get to play with
who knows what the next generation of computing is actually gonna bring)

I stand down from this virtual soap box! ~ peace!

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Super computers are a waste , they are totally expensive.

Distributed computing is the way to go. Projects like Folding@Home can harness as much (and sometimes) more power than expensive super computer for much cheaper.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Don't be silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Computers do what are programmed into them. Some people believe they will turn on mankind. Not within 500,000 more years of development at the rate we're at. The only "super weapons" are developing PARALLEL to computers and we simply use the computers to guide with GPS, track infantry, vehicles, planes, launch weapons, communicate drop zones, communicate with satellites, etc. However the computers themselves only do what is coded into them.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Computers do what are programmed into them

Don't be silly, research.

Some of IIB's threads might be of interest..

Beyond Conspiracy: Artificial General Intelligence (Newsletter Special)

Dubya and Al Gore's unknown unholy alliance.

DARPA's iXo Artificial Intelligence Control Grid

It unveils the governments numerous and ongoing programs related to A.I., "NBIC", the "Global Information Grid", nanotechnology, biotechnology, autonomous drones, "naval sea-bases", space weapons, weather modification… or more directly: domestic and global totalitarian technological domination. American Imperialism meets Artificial Intelligence.

DARPA's programs can be found on their site:
- Defense Sciences Office (DSO) Programs
- Information Processing Technology Office (IPTO) Programs
- Information Exploitation Office (IXO) Programs
- Microsystems Technology Office (MTO) Programs
- Strategic Technology Office (STO) Programs
- Tactical Technology Office (TTO) Programs

And here's a link for Converging Technologies for Improving Human Performance

And another member Advisor started this thread:
DARPA AI .mil & more

Check 'em out.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What I’m getting at is a computer capable of anything. By anything, I mean the computers processing power is so great that if it determined this post as a threat it could easily send a missile to my house. It could easily scan the internet in a matter of seconds and in less than a second calculate what is a threat or not. Take control of missiles, ships, phones, power grids, anything that it needs to accomplish its goal. How can you hide from a computer like that? With quantum power already in the near future, computers will fight are wars for us. Imagine two of these quantum computers going at it, only way to win is for both to lose and blow up the planet. A computer so powerful that it can look a billion years ahead, now compare that the human mind that can only look to each moment.

Think of this scenario: computer show us a plan to overthrow this government and install a puppet government completely loyal to us. In a matter of seconds a plan is drawn up, a plan so perfect that the computer even calculated for human error. A plan that so perfect that there is no possibility of it failing.

These computers of the future can bring the war to every doorstep of every human on this planet.

That’s my 2cent of on the super weapon of the future.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, BlueGene is IBM's pride and joy. Isn't it also being used for research into IBM's quantum computing project?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The top UK and US Government secret services do not use conventional computers and I would think are at least 5 to 10 years ahead of conventional technology. The UK states they buried their computing technology they used at Bletchley Park after the war, I find this absurd, they’re probably using chips based on light or quantum mechanics, the supercomputers they buy are merely masks for the civilian projects, superfast supersecret government computers are used for mass surveillance and decryption using artificially intelligent monitoring software, monitoring phone calls, internet activity (via equally superfast hidden fibreoptic readers) digital and analogue radio / microwave transmissions. They are all monitored all of the time by these types of machines.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
The top UK and US Government secret services do not use conventional computers and I would think are at least 5 to 10 years ahead of conventional technology. The UK states they buried their computing technology they used at Bletchley Park after the war, I find this absurd, they’re probably using chips based on light or quantum mechanics, the supercomputers they buy are merely masks for the civilian projects, superfast supersecret government computers are used for mass surveillance and decryption using artificially intelligent monitoring software, monitoring phone calls, internet activity (via equally superfast hidden fibreoptic readers) digital and analogue radio / microwave transmissions. They are all monitored all of the time by these types of machines.

where did you get this from????could i see the source

new topics

top topics

join