It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food in McDonald's wrapper tastes better to kids: Study Reports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
One month ago, 11 major food companies including McDonald's agreed to changes in its advertising to children under 12 years old.

The study begins with 63 children, aged 3 to 5 from Head Start centers in San Mateo County, CA.

Full CNN Article

"Anything made by McDonald's tastes better, preschoolers said in a study that powerfully demonstrates how advertising can trick the taste buds of young children.

In comparing identical McDonald's foods in name-brand and plain wrappers, the unmarked foods always lost.

Even carrots, milk and apple juice tasted better to the kids when they were wrapped in the familiar packaging of the Golden Arches.

The study had youngsters sample identical McDonald's foods in name-brand and unmarked wrappers. The unmarked foods always lost the taste test.....................................

Study author Dr. Tom Robinson said the kids' perception of taste was "physically altered by the branding." The Stanford University researcher said it was remarkable how children so young were already so influenced by advertising.....................................

The research, appearing in August's Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, was funded by Stanford and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation..............."

Interesting to see the effects of marketing. I think it will end up spawning more studies, and most likely, put more pressure on the types of marketing allowed for children under 12. This is not a change I see happening over night. I don't see it getting to the point of the restrictions imposed on cigarette advertising like Joe Camel, but it only throws fuel on the fire.

I can see the lawyers salivating over the lawsuits. Hear the people chanting, "McDonald's made me fat and clogged my arteries". Oh wait that already happened in 2002.

Its a mess that many fast food execs are going to have to face for the next few months.

[edit: added appropriate EX tags]
Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a friend told me about this study today.

crappy food, and remarkable marketing.

Looks like Ronald Mcdonald, could make a few bucks selling reams of McDonalds wrapping paper.

Can you say, McBrussel Sprouts?

Parents could really use this to their advantage!

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
"perception of taste was "physically altered by the branding"

I disagree... I think it's more like "this food taste exactly the same... Ill just say the Mc Donald's is better.
I doubt it alters anything but... the taste test probably just confused the kids.

CX

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Can you say, McBrussel Sprouts?

Parents could really use this to their advantage!

Already done it when my two were little!

My youngest (then 5 years old) was trying to negotiate her not eating the pie i had in the oven for her. When it came out, i got a marker pen and wrote a big "M" on the bottom of the foil container.

The pie did'nt even touch the sides it went down that quick.!

It was only done for a bit of a giggle, but it worked a treat. I would'nt encourage the practise though, the further i can distance my kids from that place the better in my opinion.

CX.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
How about we take all this money and effort spent on these
stupid studies, that just give the overeducated something
to do when there is nothing to do with their fancy educations,

and build greenhouses, and grow food for the needy. Now that
is something mankind can use.

McDonalds uses subliminal advertising too. It's called Ronald
McDonald. Now a bunch of those kids grew up to be fat adults,
with fat kids, cause they eat at McD's too.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Eating out is not that bad. Sometimes its just nice to go out for once instead of sitting barricaded in your home eating yogurt or whatever health food is popular these days. Even if you dont like McDonalds there are 1,000 other fast food places that are much better (and somewhat healthier) such as Quiznos, Panera, Nathans hotdogs are pretty good (skip the fries however), etc. In moderation I see nothing wrong with eating out.

We are all going to die sometime so we might as well enjoy life. I eat fast food/casual dining (ex. Applebees, TGI Friday's, etc) at least 5 meals a week and I am not overweight (I am actually underweight) and I have no serious health problems. The problem is when people eat out for each and every meal.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Maybe the kids are having a Pavlovian response. We all know McDonald's food is unhealthy because it is loaded with fat, sugar, and salt. Kids however, crave fat, sugar, and salt in the proportions in which they appear in a McDonald's food. So when kids see the McDonald's wrapper, they associate it with a junkfood fix.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If your 100 lbs overweight, and you stop at McDonalds on your way to you stomach stapling operation, there is something wrong there.

Don't think McD's and most of the other large chain type businesses haven't sold their souls to the marketing companies, who's life study is new ways to manipulate the masses.

The love of money, is the root of all evil. These big companies don't give a sh*t about their customers, just their wallets. That is why selling healthy, and well built products have become an American oddity. Sit back, let China do the work, while the fat cows line their pockets, at our expense. And we envy their wealth.

We are headed for hard times.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055
"perception of taste was "physically altered by the branding"

I disagree... I think it's more like "this food taste exactly the same... Ill just say the Mc Donald's is better.
I doubt it alters anything but... the taste test probably just confused the kids.

I don't think it confused them Bumr055. What you are saying is exactly the point the doctors were stating. When the exact same foods were presented to the children (McDonald's in both), the one the children believed were from McDonald's tasted better to them.

Its a trick our minds play on us. When I was a little kid and my mom would make me eat the brocoli on my plate. I had a perception that brocoli was gross, so I would gag and feel sick trying to force it down. Now that I'm older I realize that there really isn't much taste there and that I actually like brocolli.

I do believe the kids really liked the taste of the McDonald's wrapped food better even though the two taste the exact same.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stompk
If your 100 lbs overweight, and you stop at McDonalds on your way to you stomach stapling operation, there is something wrong there.

Don't think McD's and most of the other large chain type businesses haven't sold their souls to the marketing companies, who's life study is new ways to manipulate the masses.

The love of money, is the root of all evil. These big companies don't give a sh*t about their customers, just their wallets. That is why selling healthy, and well built products have become an American oddity. Sit back, let China do the work, while the fat cows line their pockets, at our expense. And we envy their wealth.

We are headed for hard times.

It does take two to tango. Everybody knows or should know that McDonald's is not healthy. People should be responsible and not allow themselves nor their children to eat McDonald's too frequently.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Its not difficult at all to eat healthy in this country. I say no restrictions on junk food and let natural selection sort it all out.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It's obvious - McDonald's perfected the "Looker" system.

If you look closely, you'll see a faint blue flicker in the clown's eye when they start the sales pitch!

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It's funny. I've always heard people say they like Coke at McDonald's more than the store bought kind. I believed this was due to the ice but maybe this is the true reason behind it.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This really does'nt surprise me.

I saw a show on PBS I think about kids and food.

Basically they gave them the choice of an Orange or an Orange covered in
Harry Potter & Scooby Doo stickers and the kids concurrently chose the one with stickers.

Another thing they did was to take a normal vegetable and gave it to the kids to eat,
than they gave them one with some fancy colorful (edible but tasteless) decoration,
and they said the decorated one tasted better when in reality there was no difference.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Honestly, I don't see why people like McDonald's so much.... Or Burger King either for that matter. Their food taste terrible. Its usually burnt and incredibly greasy. How most people can stomach that garbage is beyond me. Its truly amazing what good marketing can do for a product, that w/o it, would probably have gone out of business a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saturn
Honestly, I don't see why people like McDonald's so much.... Or Burger King either for that matter. Their food taste terrible. Its usually burnt and incredibly greasy. How most people can stomach that garbage is beyond me. Its truly amazing what good marketing can do for a product, that w/o it, would probably have gone out of business a long time ago.

Well its convenient, fast, and cheap to get it at those type of restaurants. Plus the high level of fats and salts do make it taste pretty decent for the price. I had a Whopper last night and it was delicious. McDonald's on the other hand, doesn't taste too good to me besides the milk shakes and ice cream.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It's all mind over matter! XD

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
It's funny. I've always heard people say they like Coke at McDonald's more than the store bought kind. I believed this was due to the ice but maybe this is the true reason behind it.

I don't think it is due to the marketing. I always felt that the drinks tasted better because the fountain soda machines mixes the carbon into the drinks right there. It is fresher than bottled soda.

Possibly the type of crushed ice has something to do with it. Of course, you can't forget the straw. Don't ask my why, but drinking the same drink out of straw changes the taste.

I tried this with a cold can of Pespi I had at home. I opened up the can, and drank directly from it. It gave me what I call a small tinny taste. Then I added a straw, and there was no tinny taste. It tasted different, and if I let myself, I could have drank the entire can quickly through the straw. Then I took the Pespi, and added it to a glass with ice. It still tasted a little different. For some reason, I will not drink it as quickly. A glass can last me a good three hours. Then again I really like the taste of it after it gets even colder from the ice, and the ice actually melted into smaller cubes.

I will not drink Pespi straight from a can unless it is really hot, and I'm thirsty. By that time, I'll go get the water.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here is another taste test I would like to see. Give the kids McDonald's fries. One that comes in the McDonald's container, and the other perhaps in one of those long rectangle containers that some carnivals use.

But let the fries in the McDonald's container get cold, mushy, and maybe over salted a little. The one in the other container be fresh, crisp, and correctly salted.

Which will the kids say taste better then? If the kids still choose the nasty fries in the McDonald's container, then it has to be the marketing. They are brainwashed. Those of us who grew up eating at McDonald's are more than likely still brainwashed to some extent.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That's a good idea. I bet your hypothesis holds true, and that kids would still pick the McDs fries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join