It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Indian City Found After Tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I searched to see if this was posted already, and couldn't find a thread about it. It's from 2005, but I read on another thread that someone remembered reading about it, and thought I would find it and post it in a new thread.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"Archaeologists have begun underwater excavations of what is believed to be an ancient city and parts of a temple uncovered by the tsunami off the coast of a centuries-old pilgrimage town.

Three rocky structures with elaborate carvings of animals have emerged near the coastal town of Mahabalipuram, which was battered by the Dec. 26 tsunami.

As the waves receded, the force of the water removed sand deposits that had covered the structures, which appear to belong to a port city built in the seventh century, said T. Satyamurthy, a senior archaeologist with the Archaeological Survey of India."

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
That's pretty cool. I can't wait to see what they find in there.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It appears that article was posted - or last updated - on February 18, 2005. This calls to mind a similar thread that started up here; www.abovetopsecret.com...

Makes one wonder; what happens to information like this? It all seems to fade away... like the discovery of the "Tomb of Osiris" in 2001. Nothing has been heard since.

In any case, I'm sure you won't hesitate to post any new information you find.
I'll keep an eye out; Cheers!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Jackdaw
It appears that article was posted - or last updated - on February 18, 2005. This calls to mind a similar thread that started up here; www.abovetopsecret.com...

Makes one wonder; what happens to information like this? It all seems to fade away... like the discovery of the "Tomb of Osiris" in 2001. Nothing has been heard since.

In any case, I'm sure you won't hesitate to post any new information you find.
I'll keep an eye out; Cheers!

I always wonder what happens to these finds, too. Whether there were no more findings, or there were findings and we just weren't told about it.

I remember hearing about this particular find and hoping to hear more about it and then... nothing. Wa wa. It's disappointing! Ancient cities are fascinating.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I remember hearing about this particular find and hoping to hear more about it and then... nothing. Wa wa. It's disappointing! Ancient cities are fascinating.

I agree. It's not hard to see why conspiracy theories about "government suppression of information" arise as a result of these.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
There's been lots going on -- but remember, please, that it takes YEARS to dig up a site and even more years to analyze the data.

Google for "mamallapuram" and "excavation" and 2006

Preliminary reports from the dig site (slow to load):
www.ias.ac.in...

en.wikipedia.org...

An archaeologist is mentioned in connection with it -- the Indian leading the dig: Satyamurthy -- who's written at least on article about them in the acadmic press:
www.ias.ac.in...

The BBC news article covers some of the findings -- details seldom mentioned elsewhere:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Apparently these structures were seen in 1980 (so it's not as surprising to those in the area as it is to Westerners).

Remember, just because MSNBC and Yahoo and BBC are ignoring news from the area (not very spectacular or controversial finds), doesn't mean that no work is going on there or that nothing has been found or that someone is covering stuff up.

News reporters and organizations thrive on sensationalism and controversy. An "I found a temple wall with some faded carvings" gets no press compared to bombings in Iraq, mining disasters, bridge collapses, etc.

new topics

top topics

join