It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLU-114 - Blackout Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The BLU-114/B is a special-purpose munition for attacking electrical power infrastructure. Although very little is known about this highly classified weapon, reportedly it functions by dispensing a number of submunitions which in turn disperse large numbers of chemically treated carbon graphite filaments which short-circuit electrical power distribution equipment such as transformers and switching stations. The weapon is sometimes referred to as a "soft bomb" since its effects are largely confined to the targetted electrical power facility, with minimal risk of collateral damage.

This previously undisclosed weapon, carried by the F-117A Nighthawk stealth fighter, was used for the first time on 02 May 1999 as part of Operation ALLIED FORCE strikes against Serbia. Following these attacks lights went out over 70 per cent of the country. The munition was subsequently used on the night of 07 May 1999 to counter Serbian efforts to restore damage caused by the initial attack.

MORE....

These pictures were taken at Obrenovac powerplant in Serbia

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 09:18 PM
link   
its not that classified remember in oceans eleven when they used an electromagnetic pulse to disrupt power in las vegas

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with EMP if I'm correct, it has to do with effecting the grounds in the power grids by supplying "new" conductors? In either case, carbon isn't a permanent magnet so I don't see how it can be an EMP which was in Ocean's Eleven....they just took that idea from a "nuke" without the nuke. doesn't necissarily mean it exists.

Although I think it is interesting how more "peaceful" our weapons are becoming. It is almost to the point where you put people into the stone age by hiting them with foam mallets

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Correct FreeMason, it has nothing to do with EMP.

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 07:37 PM
link   
oh my bad
*hangs head in shame*

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
EMP is cool, but i still prefere the B-2 and a MOAB...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Sorry I mean "The black out bomb"...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Nice, it is basically just short circuiting the electrical equipment. A pretty simple idea, but it sounds pretty effective.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Does this bomb actually penetrate the power source disrupting it or causing it to short circut, like a conventional bomb might, or does it remain outside of the target and disrupt power from there?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is kind of old news..I remember hearing about this some time ago, in what context I don't know..

Anyway...

The way it works is very simple, they drop those canisters like normal munitions, from normal aircraft.

In mid-air above the target, the cannisters break open, releasing a drifting cloud of conductive filaments.

The filaments fall down onto the high voltage wires that carry power to and from the relay stations, and the filaments get caught in the gaps of transformers and relays, and they cause a massive short circuit.

They basically just blanket the area with these filaments, and the electricity crosses every which way in uncontrolled fashion, overloading the capacity of the lines and tripping the breakers in some cases, causing fires in others.

It's a great weapon in the sense that it does not cause any signifigant loss of life, and is very effective at reducing the effectiveness of any kind of defense. Communications and transportation grind to a standstill, and the invading army has a much easier time of it.

It's just the warfare equivalent of sticking a really big fork in your enemy's jumbo outlet.

Edit: I just thought of a very cheap, very effective counter against this weapon. Pop a tent. Seriously, just throw up a canopy over all the substations and relays, and the damage done would be minimal. You could do the same thing with forced air currents, or electro-mag disruption, but basically if you can redirect or deflect the munitions away from the power stations, you've got no worries.

So invest in tarps..lots of tarps - the key to national defense.
Works against these, and with some duct tape you can fend off chemical weapons too.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It seems a lot like one of the military's "devistatingly simple" munitions, fortunately it appears (WyrdeOne :lol
there is a simple way to protect against it.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Great find!

For some reason about a week ago I was trying to remember the name of this bomb. I remember hearing about them during the bombing of Serbia, then I didn't hear anything else about them. It is an outstand weapon to take out a nation's defenses without having to destroy everything in sight.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Supposedly, the EMP theory does or would work.
There has been much talk about it lately.
Nukes detinated in the outer atmosphere, creating waves of knockout power to electrical and computer chip stuff.
I don't know.

Maybe.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Is this device like a pinch? I could be wrong, I'm not that smart when it comes to weapons. I should be though since I'm from Oklahoma everyone has weapons.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
alias a 'Pinch' is a colloquilism for EMP

Great post

Interesting how the most simple things can work. I read somewhere about the Falklands War... one of the British ships a frigate I think was saved from 3 incoming Exocets as the Captain turned into the cloud between them and fired tons of Chaff which amplified the radar image the chaff produced as a Lure for the incoming missiles.... the chaff floated within the cloud and they escaped from the cloud...no Missile strikes.

Those Exocets are pretty good missiles too.

I cant be bothered to source that incident at the mo its late...but its true and will get it sourced if anyone wants it.

as I said thanks interesting post

BeingMischevious

bj

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
These were also dispensed by cruise missiles during the opening air attacks of the first Gulf War. The submunitions are basically sized like a Rockeye, which is carried by cruise missiles and cluster bombs. As noted, they basically drift over the high voltage stuff and short things out. The general idea is to knock out the equipment for a while without totally destroying it. If you're mostly tripping safeties and shorting stuff, much of it should be pretty easy to put back into commission later.

The kinder, gentler weapons.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I recall hearing reports of 'fibreglass' being dropped on power lines in Iraq during the last (current) conflict to do the same thing, and how the cleanup was hurting the restoration of the power grids owing to the fiddly nature of it.

One online reference is here which goes on to speculate that it was graphite, (and reports that it was also used in Serbia).

new topics

top topics

join