It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked Docs: IBM to Build Petaflop Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Thought that this was interesting, as it seems like someone else just had the "worlds fastest computer", but held it for a minimal amount of time. At what point will these speeds stop increasing exponentially every other month?

This seems like it would be good for the types of problems that require massive amounts of computing power, but what else could this phenomenal speed be used for? To challenge some chess great to a duel? To help me dl stuff faster, or to help make my cellphone have a really great network?

Documents accidentally posted on a government web site reveal that IBM may build the world's fastest computer: a $200 million PETAFLOP SUPERCOMPUTER at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. A petaflop is a thousand trillion mathematical operations per second.

IBM to build the worlds fastest computer
etaflop

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Those with an interest might find this IBM Press release of interest from their press department at IBM. Hmmm?

"Open the pod bay doors HAL", "I can't do that Dave", Kubrick.

SGI will "fight back" maybe with another new-gen Altix to run the data for??? Well a whole bunch of stuff...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
NCSA cancels its petaflop supercomputer deal with IBM

THE US NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications - has pulled out of its contract with IBM for a supercomputer that can sustain a petaflop.

I've been following this machine since it first became a possibility, and I am a bit surprised it was cancelled. Ah, well.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by macFiachna
NCSA cancels its petaflop supercomputer deal with IBM

THE US NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications - has pulled out of its contract with IBM for a supercomputer that can sustain a petaflop.

I've been following this machine since it first became a possibility, and I am a bit surprised it was cancelled. Ah, well.

I'm sure some big whig fatcat in the corporate office confused "petaflop" with "Pedaphile". Those guys in the corporate offices don't have a clue what all that techno-jargon means, they're just a bunch of PR guys who try to fool the public into thinking their stock is valuable. The only thing a modern corporation cares about anymore is keeping its stock prices high, the quality of the products they produce (if any) comes in a distant second (if not third or fourth...).

"A computer that molests children! Not at my company!

Jenkins, cancel the whole project!"

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My company is about to launch the sale of miniature petaflop supercomputers. I've been sitting on it for 3 years now in secret but I'm setting up the press conference soon...

GOD I wish I could tell you about it now but I have to wait...The only reason I bring it up now is that it's so close and it could explain why IBM backed out...

edit on 9-8-2011 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn

This seems like it would be good for the types of problems that require massive amounts of computing power, but what else could this phenomenal speed be used for? ...

I can't say yet...true convergence is only the beginning...I have to go. I'm dying to tell you all about it!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Okay, today I'm allowed to say this.

A new thread is coming...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Eventually computing power will be fast and powerful enough for my super equation!!! and i will be very very happy

top topics

join