It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock Market Meltdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Stock Market Meltdown

globalresearch.ca

On Friday the Dow Jones took a 280 point nosedive on fears that that losses in the subprime market will spill over into the broader economy and cut into GDP. Ever since the two Bears Sterns hedge funds folded a couple weeks ago the stock market has been writhing like a drug-addict in a detox-cell. Yesterday’s sell-off added to last week’s plunge that wiped out $2.1 trillion in value from global equity markets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.inteldaily.com
www.stockhouse.com

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
All i can say, is that i hope those computers that they have on wall street that are supposed to halt the advance of a second Black Tuesday kick in soon...

[edit on 6-8-2007 by D.E.M.]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
these 280 point drops are not what they used to be. they don't induce the panic selling that people expect, mainly because the percentage drop isn't very large and, as a result, the fear factor is not as prevalent. I think the doomsday writers make the drops out to be far worse than they are. This can be seen in the 280 point rise today. Clearly, after a weekend of sweating out a large drop in values, one would expect the market to drop further as the weak stomached investors cash out but that hasn't been the case of late.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Stocks rebound

Hardly anything close to a meltdown as stocks jump right back up.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well i feel sheeepish >.>

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
People should always remember that the europeans will keep america going for as long as it takes to get what they want. The europeans will decide when it goes bad if ever.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
don't. the press loves to make a big deal out of these drops now. they love instilling fear into markets. they also love pumping up the big increases so you get lots of articles talking correction while you will find almost as many articles talking about a speedbump with no real change in the upward trend etc.

if the writers of these articles knew half as much as what they claim they know, they'd be too busy making millions in the market to waste time writing articles about how the economy is going to collapse.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
While I wouldn't use the term meltdown, stocks are going to be headed south more than north in the upcomming year. This recovery / bull market is running out of steam ( it is already one of the longest in history, but don't tell Bush haters) just like they all do. History has a way of repeating itself in the stock market, does anyone here really think Google is worth $510 a share?

Many stocks are overvalued and still people keep buying them, remember you are supposed to buy low and sell high? Suprisingly many people just don't seem to remember that little piece of advice and will get in too late to a bull market (when prices are already not the best) and stay too long in a bear market (selling at the low), only to start buying again after the real gains are to be made.

We will have a recession that will follow this recovery that will last about 1 to 1 1/2 years (historical avg) and will cause stocks to drop by about 15-30%. It will take the average investor about 3-5 years just to get back to where they were prior to the recession. The actual best time to sell is when it's high and then just wait till stocks become a value again, near the bottom of the recession. I am simplfying things, but that is the historical record of the stock market for the last 100 years or so. If I were a betting man, I would give more weight to the market being lower a year from today rather than being higher.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by pavil]

[edit on 6-8-2007 by pavil]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think the Dow went up over 260 points today right? I dont know if that constitutes a melt-down because the Doow fluctuates on any given day.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
I think the Dow went up over 260 points today right? I dont know if that constitutes a melt-down because the Doow fluctuates on any given day.

Stocks will go through a pattern of more volitility as the markets inch closer to a non Bull market, then they go into a Bear after that. Total Volumes should increase as well. You can't just look at a day or a week for the pattern, it is incremental. Stocks have been getting more volitile since Feb/March.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
blame Jim Cramer's video shenanigans all over the internets!

new topics

top topics

join