It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North, South Korean soldiers exchange fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

North, South Korean soldiers exchange fire

www.msnbc.msn.com

North Korean soldiers fired several shots toward a South Korean guard post in the eastern part of the Demilitarized Zone that divides the Korean Peninsula. South Korean soldiers immediately returned fire, a statement said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Didn't see any discussion about this thus far and thought it was ironic that the shooting comes a day a. of aid-for-disarmament talks. All t would take is one of these 'exchanges' to take out a soldier on either side to end the cease fire and start up the still dormaint war that's not officially over.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Perhaps the n.koreans realize that and hope to send that message to strenthen their bargaining position.Such a stunt like sending missiles over japan a few years ago to shake people up.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No one wants a fight here and hopefully that's determent enough.

North Korea doesn't have the resources (besides man power) and South Korea doesn't have a big enough military. And it's not like we can help either.

Hopefully this turns into nothing.

Last thing this world needs right now is for N/S Korea to "pop off".

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xfile
Perhaps the n.koreans realize that and hope to send that message to strenthen their bargaining position.Such a stunt like sending missiles over japan a few years ago to shake people up.

That was my thought as well when i first read the article. N/K seems pretty infamous for doing so.

Although lately its seems as though steps have been taken in the right direction to try and preserve the cease fire and their version of peace in the region.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
To be fair though if it did kick off i think the U.S could help quite enough. With about 36,000 troops in S.Korea i don't think the Northerners would risk it, what would they have to gain other than an invasion or mushroom cloud?. Do not underestimate the reach of the US. They may be a country on the wain, but that is when a country is most dangerous and unpredictable.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Also dont under estimate the s.korean soldiers.Ive just found out recently from a vietnam vet friend(2 purple hearts)pilot that the vietcong HATED engagments with s.koreans.It seems their viciousness even appalled them according to my freind.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
To be fair though if it did kick off i think the U.S could help quite enough. With about 36,000 troops in S.Korea i don't think the Northerners would risk it

North Korea has one of the largest standing armies in the world. The only thing the US would need to do is prepair 36,000 body bags. They have something in the neighborhood of 1 million troops.

This is old, but to give you an idea :

Seventy percent of their active force, including approximately 700,000 troops, over 8,000 artillery systems, and 2,000 tanks, is postured within 90 miles of the Demilitarized Zone. This percentage continues to rise despite the June 2000 summit. Most of this force in the forward area is protected in over 4,000 underground facilities, out of over 11,000 nationwide. From their current locations, these forces can attack with minimal preparations or warning.

link

By the way Seoul, the capital of South Korea is only ~ 30 miles south of the North Korean border and has 10 million people. No shortage of people to kill in this situation.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by discomfit]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xfile
Also dont under estimate the s.korean soldiers.Ive just found out recently from a vietnam vet friend(2 purple hearts)pilot that the vietcong HATED engagments with s.koreans.It seems their viciousness even appalled them according to my freind.

Very true ... the North Vietnamese People's Army and the VC were quite afraid of the ROK Army. Supposedly the ROK Army commandos would sneak into the communist bases and cut the throats of all the guys on sentry duty and sneak away. It pretty much scared the beep out of them to the point where they were shooting their own soldiers because they were refusing to go on sentry duty.

Between our special forces and those of the other nations involved in Vietnam we had the VC and the PAVN quite afraid in their own backyard. Their exploits really were the stuff that make up Hollywood movies and its one of the little known aspects of the Vietnam War.

apc

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There's been a few threads started about these little bullet trades in the past. It seems this is pretty common and doesn't really mean anything. Almost like a game the men on both sides play with eachother. Gotta be boring sitting on the DMZ all day.

top topics

join