It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess what? You're not special!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have a very strange belief. We aren't special. We hold a very tiny corner in this universe, which we know absolutely nothing about. We know nothing outside of the stars that we see, nor do we know anything that is out in the empty void in-between the stars.
Does anyone ever think what is actually out there? That we are somehow chosen by an all-loving God, to have our afterlife in Heaven? I just don't buy it. I don't want to cause a giant argument about this, but I can't see a paradise after we die. Do you really think that any "divine" being gives a flying
about us, nevermind construct some sort of paradise where we can reside forever and ever at his side, eating popcorn and possibly watching Ninja Terminator on Blu-ray?
I'm not saying that there isn't anything out there, but surely God (or perhaps thousands or millions of little Gods, running around like little Lou Reeds on crack and speed) have bigger more important matters on their mind, then to deal with us?
All I want to know is what is in the empty black vistas? What lies in wait in the void, where no light pierces through?

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What an awful mindset you have.

Now I on the other hand, believe I am one of the most special and unique creatures in the universe.

In fact, our entire species is the crown of creation.

There is only one being who is higher than us in the universe, that is God.

You are also special, you are the only person on the planet who has your fingerprint, voice print, etc.

Please stop with the lowly opinions of yourself, there will never be another human like you.

Realize this.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
What an awful mindset you have.

But a realistic one.

There is only one being who is higher that us in the universe, that is God.

No one knows anything about though. There could be millions of advanced alien civilisations out there and lots of them could be higher than us. And what's to say god exists?

You are also special, you are the only person on the planet who has your fingerprint, voice print, etc.

Penguin's all have unique voiceprints, that's how they recognize their young among thousands of others.
Each ant colony has a unique "odor".
Each pod of orca's has a unique sound.
I can go on...

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

Penguin's all have unique voiceprints, that's how they recognize their young among thousands of others.
I can go on...

Exactly, thanks for proving my point.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
I can go on...

You just proved his point dude.....Penquins like people are special because they have a creator....

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantlyWondering
You just proved his point dude.....Penquins like people are special because they have a creator....

Good luck with that. The fact that your more or less unique doesn't mean a god "created" you. I was pointing out how unspecial we are compared to the other species. If we were, we would be unique as a species (we are in many ways but far from totally different) and the world would be the center of the universe, which we are not, since we orbit an average sun, in a remote part of an average galaxy. Earth-like planets are probably just average too

[edit on 6-8-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
= / My mindset is awful? If some divine entity made this world(and me), then he can take it back. I much prefer the fact that he may actually be a complete bastard. That he created the world out of spite, out of hate, and created idiots to make up religions all in some way, dedicated to It's image. My view is that we just play a very minor, bit part in the universe. Imagine we are but a speck of dust in the universe, but the universe is just attached to a greater variety of solar systems, of greater universes far beyond what we can even imagine. Or better yet, one of those jobbing actors who gets to say one line, and then disappears after a frame, never to be seen again.

My views are a little strange, but I don't give a damn. Here's a question, Do penguins go to Heaven?

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, from your point of view, it really shouldn't matter. After all, if we are just dead when we pass, which I personally don't buy but I am just playing along, then we'll never know we ever existed anyway.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
we'll never know we ever existed anyway.

I was thinking exactly along the same lines recently and this is the first time I read or hear of it somewhere in those exact same words.

You know when you dream and it ends before you wake up? You'll never remember that dream. You only remember them when you wake up during a dream, which is why you can't remember full dreams. Well when the dream is happening you are experiencing it, but when you wake up you have no recollection of it that is why most people think they never dreamed that night. But you dream every time.

Well if there is oblivion then life is just like one of those dreams, so futile yet it makes sense.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
= / My mindset is awful? If some divine entity made this world(and me), then he can take it back. I much prefer the fact that he may actually be a complete bastard. That he created the world out of spite, out of hate, and created idiots to make up religions all in some way, dedicated to It's image.

Ah, another person complaining as usual.

People always say stuff like "Well if there is a God he is an a-hole." You know what dude, get over it.

if he truly is a "bastard" as you say, so what? There is nothing you or I can do about it. However, I don't believe he is like that at all.

I think it easily apparent that you have no love for life, seeing as how you complain about things that are part of life.

At the end of the day it's better to just accept life for what it is instead of always complaining about what it isn't.

Though none of us want to experience pain, you might as well learn to accept. Most people are gonna die in a painful way whether they like it or not. Be it cancer, a heart attack, a car accident etc, it is bound to happen.

If you die tomorrow, you should feel blessed that you have had the opportunity to exist, even if it's only for a little while.

Everyday I wake up I feel blessed beyond all measure that I've had the opportunity to experience this strange and amazing life.

The opportunity to experience life, death, pain, suffering, love etc is the most beautiful thing imaginable, and I wouldn't trade in this gift for anything.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I have no problems with him/it being a great bastard. In fact, it's more comforting to know that he is. Isn't there nothing more great then to be untainted by human morality? To be a cosmological fprce on your own, must be quite intoxicating, like being in charge of a McDonalds restaurant. (The managers are power hungry sycophantic tyrants.)

My view on the entity known as God is perhaps a bit strong. I've not had the cards I sometimes felt I should have been dealt and I doubt I have any redeeming features that are of any use. I've prayed as hard as I could back in the past, yet I heard no answer.

I've looked up on different religions and found nothing in them and I looked at the whole Atheist thing, but it didn't sit well with me either. The universe must have came from something. And I don't care what anyone says, you can't make something out of nothing. I personally believe that the universe was the product of some sort of argument that gotten way, way out of hand.

I just don't feel special enough to think that some unseen force is looking after me. Maybe he/it is, but I just don't even know it. It'd be kind of nice if it did, but I just don't see it.

*If anyone is offended by what I have typed, I apologise. I've become more bitter then Bierce.

[edit on 6/8/07 by MacDonagh]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, from your point of view, it really shouldn't matter. After all, if we are just dead when we pass, which I personally don't buy but I am just playing along, then we'll never know we ever existed anyway.

Yeah, and to be frank, it astounds me as well. When we are gone, (the human race somehow destroyed by a freak blimp accident) we won't be remembered. I find that amazing. I can imagine in a million years time, some aliens coming upon Earth, but only finding a LP of Herman's Hermits, and a 1978 Gramophone magazine...with all the pages missing.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
My view on the entity known as God is perhaps a bit strong. I've not had the cards I sometimes felt I should have been dealt and I doubt I have any redeeming features that are of any use. I've prayed as hard as I could back in the past, yet I heard no answer.

I just don't feel special enough to think that some unseen force is looking after me. Maybe he/it is, but I just don't even know it. It'd be kind of nice if it did, but I just don't see it.

[edit on 6/8/07 by MacDonagh]

Sorry if my post may have sounded a bit condescending.

Don't worry brother, i know there is a god out there looking after you.

*If anyone is offended by what I have typed, I apologise. I've become more bitter then Bierce.

No offense taken, everyone has doubts from time to time.

Jesus loves you.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Different things are special to different people.

It's relative and the opinion of what is special or not is subjective perception.

What I'm trying to say is there is no universal sliding scale that gives something it's specialness rating. That is up to the opinion of the beholder day after day.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Everyday I wake up I feel blessed beyond all measure that I've had the opportunity to experience this strange and amazing life.

The opportunity to experience life, death, pain, suffering, love etc is the most beautiful thing imaginable, and I wouldn't trade in this gift for anything.

Flagged! And a WATS if we still had them! A great classic! All so true,

Thanks so much,

STM

[edit on 8/7/2007 by seentoomuch]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
of course we aren't all that special. we are soft, weak, have a relatively short life expectancy, occupy the boonies of a galaxy and have perception limited to the "middle" range of objects and quantities.

the only thing that really sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom is thumbs, upright walking, and better cognitive capabilities.... and even that isn't really making us all that special when you consider that other species that have adaptations that are just as cool yet less useful in our opinions.

we aren't the pinnacle of the universe, we need to accept this and face the facts of reality with humility. we live for an average of 60-80 years, all have our "unique" traits, and we all die. once the light is extinguished it only lives on in the minds of those it illuminated.

it takes great humility to accept that we aren't going to live on after death and just as much humility to accept that we aren't a pinnacle of the universe.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
We are a brutal kind. I don't see why any entity would be happy with what he/it has made. Unless, he had a very cynical sense of humour I mean.
:w:
:bash:

join