It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Surge' not working?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Adhamiyah residents oust terrorists from mosque, help uncover weapons cache

www.mnf-iraq.com...

Adhamiyah residents oust terrorists from mosque, help uncover weapons cache
Multi-National Division – Baghdad PAO

BAGHDAD — Fed-up with violent and indiscriminate terror tactics, a group of more than 80 residents of the Adhamiyah District on the east side of the Iraqi capital banded together to oust suspected terrorists from a local mosque Aug. 5.

After order was restored, the Iraqi Army received a tip about a weapons cache hidden in the vicinity of the mosque. At approximately 7 p.m., Iraqi forces returned to the Abu Hanifa Mosque and uncovered a massive illegal weapons cache in an outside courtyard. The cache contained several already-assembled improvised explosive devices, dynamite, mortars, rockets, landmines, bomb-making materials and various weapons

Immediately afterwards, Iraqi and U.S. forces returned to the Abu Hanifa Mosque area to investigate reports of additional weapons caches. Iraqi soldiers again entered the building to search the mosque compound and the cemetery behind it.

They discovered two more weapons caches, which contained two IEDs, 16 mortars, two hand grenades, a sniper rifle, remote detonation devices, radios and more than a dozen weapons. Twenty-eight suspects were taken into custody.

So it seems that Iraqi's are starting to take back their cities and towns from the terrorists (finally), all this because of the 'Surge' which, conveniently, the dems & libs all say is not working.

I'm also glad that it was an Iraqi force which came upon the scene initally and restored order. Maybe the Iraqi forces are finally coming together.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
One of the worst aspects of this is the measure of success.

What ever the BushCo admin says is success is success. At one point they said because there was MORE violence and death that meant we were winning.

What does "working" mean ? "Working" in what sense ?

We're still killing folks.
They're still killing us.
We're still wasting billions of dollars.
We're still destabilizing the entire world.

The US economy is headed for total collapse , how is this "working" ?

And yes, the war does have to do with the economy. Troops in Iraq should be here in American _at work_ (reservist). Money flowing into Iraq should be part of our economy here instead of being tossed into that blood drenched sand pit.

Every plane launched, every bomb dropped, every soldier deployed cost us thousands and millions of dollars.

How is this "working" ?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
In terms of the surge the strategy is fine but the US military lacks the man power to replicate the strategy in urban areas outside of Baghdad . The other problem is that the surge was or is a gradual build up which has allowed the enemy to adjust his tactics. The US needs to take a calculated risk and pull ten to fifteen thousand troops out of South Korea and retrain them and then deploy them to other urban areas in Iraq.

US troops could also be pulled out of Germany in the same manner.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Escalation. "SurgEscalation. "Surge" is another lie.
It is good to be alive, even on the darkest nights.

I DO NOT SUPPORT U.S. TROOPS nor do I support any executioners in the name of a perverted patriotism.

The Vietnam War is over and need I remind you that the U.S.A. LOST and it will also lose in Iraq.

We should oppose all unjust wars and not condone the participation of our Raza in unjust wars in the name of local unemployment.
Before long the U.S. military machine will get up towards aggravating a Latin-nam that has already been building up for decades. Let it not surprise us who are suppose to be in the know about such inevitable historical junctures.

I understand the sentiment behind supporting troops, but they are not my troops. I sent no one anywhere over the pond to kill anyone for me. Many people have been killed and their killings allowed without condemnation by good patriotic citizens in the name of patriotic sentiment.
No Iraqi has ever attacked me or my family!
Someone who joins an army for money is a mercenary with a gun, a hired killer.

Those over there in Iraq from the U.S.A. joined, they were not drafted. We cannot claim ignorance now, especially after the Vietnam War fiasco.
I have an Honorable Discharge from the USAF but joined after the Vietnam War that I later burned. I was not allowed into the Air Force 'for the convenience of the government'. Probably for the best as at the time I would of gone in and snuck in on a pilot's blind side and slit his throat and engaged in other straight up subversive action.

Have we learned nothing from all the body bags?
We who are here still amongst the living should focus on our own local areas, build up community empowerment machines and help with the basics like teaching our gente how to read and write, do basic math and other social and occupational skills to help them in their real lives.
How can we oppose a war, yet, support the foot soldiers who wage it in the name of patriotism? True patriotism does not allow our sons and daughters to go out and get killed for the monopoly-capitalist monarchy!

this military families thing may be too complex for my increasingly feeble mind. the families should protest, every single family. their kids are in harm's way for totally illegitimate reasons. maybe not in afghanistan, but iraq is a fool's errand.

i want them home. i accept, indeed, endorse, the need for an armed u.s. force. i also believe in personal accountability and commitment. when i did my time i was the best goddamned cannon fodder i could be, within the limits of my status as an unwilling conscript.

the volunteer army is so totally different than when i was a soldier. i felt i had a right to protest even while in uniform, and to follow orders as subversively as i possibly could. but a person who volunteers agrees to allow this bloodthirsty exploitation, they signed up for the unknown and now actuality is beyond anyone's wildest nightmares. so eat that ****, soldier, salute and say "yes, sir". pick up your weapon and march toward the smoke. it's what you signed up for.

let's trust to luck, i suppose, that the democratic leadership will take a radical stance and investigate, disclose the lies, and indict the war criminals and profiteers. let's trust to alternative career choices so kids don't see the military as a better choice than staying home at the mercy of the post-industrial economy.

ON this Christmas Day let us give a new re-birth into our individual and collective consciousness of a truly humane liberated consciousness with a shared history, natural bond and common destiny with all peoples who endure sufferings under unjust governments and whose sufferings in many ways continue because of our own lack of caring, lack of loving and lack of humaneness.
Get involved in life and the core social issues of these times!

Do not only care and identity with those of a similiar skin color, cultural identity and shared tongue. See the common humanity among all of humanekind and act in accordance with the new humane consciousness of a common humanity.
Whenever and wherever any innocent soul suffers somalia we ourselves are impacted whether we are conscious or it or not.
Related Link=
www.ainashe.net...
In the end, those of us who survive it all, perhaps not us as lone individuals, but our own bloodline descendants, will see that indeed we were all one people upon one planet under one Creator all along all this time.
We will see the evilness of false divisions that keep the masses divided based mindlessly upon racial stock, national origin or cultural background.
All human beings share the same basic survival needs and when seen in the big picture we should all have the basic humane rights agenda not separated by websites, fluttering flags or superficial colors.
We will all be free and live out our lives in freedom or this entire planet will be leveled out by our genuine attempts at freedom.

We want freedom by any means mandatory in the face of mass fear, mass apathy and mass ignorance!

Realistically, we need to NOT GET STUCK in a reactive mode when it comes to these reactionary propagandists. We should always focus more on doing community propaganda among our own people, our own supporters and definately among our own families.

Circumstances change in time and space and we should also change with changed circumstances.

The common denominator I see is that we are all human beings, though we may not all be really humane in all our relatons, we are all certainly ordinary human beings with basic common survival needs. It is our survival needs that form the basis of our unity, especially when we see the need for a fundamental transformation in the balance of power from its present imbalance where a few percentage control the vast majority into a true democratic balance. We are not now living under a true social democracy with proportional representation inside the USA. The General Elections are over and we are still poor, still oppressed and still alienated!

It is Monday and I have miles to go before sunset. We can learn a lot from the Black Civil Rights Movement and the early Black Liberation Movement. As Chicanos, we must not let ourselves be isolated as 'Chicanos' in of ethnic identity. In fact, we just might be a cultural missing link!

We need to be shining examples of compassionate humane beings in a multi-racial and multi-cultural society, despite all its evils and imbalances.

We cannot simply holler Brown! Brown! Brown! or Chicano! Chicano! Chicano! We must shout in the streets and whisper to the winds that we are HUMANE BEINGS with HUMANE RIGHTS given to us from the Creator from birth as our sacred birthright!

Despite all the progress that blacks have made they are still seen first as blacks, not as people. The majority of the people in many places inside the USA are still Whites. We must bridge the racial divides beween us and all other peoples of all social origins. Thus, we take a stand as being stridently ANTI-RACIST!

Always keep in mind that the concept of 'race' is a social man-made construction. It has no basis in science, in DNA and in bloodlines. We need to build up our alliances with our natural allies, get rid of any remants of racism and ignorant prejudice among us and strive to become more and more humane, move and move loving, more and more tolerant of our superficial differences. The fact remains we are still living in CLASS SOCIETY that is primarily divided along economic class lines, NOT cultural-ethnic ones. Remember Roman Formulas!

Towards Oneness Among Humanity!

I strive to raise consciousness line-by-line, step-by-step, and precept-by-precept. Maybe this sounds gross, but I believe that the most people we can reach out to and come to agreement with on the basics then the fewer enemies we will have in the future. Call it minimizing any potential collateral damage.

At root, I have always had a social-political agenda the central purpose is to promote our liberty in general as I am aware that it is social conditions that must be changed in order to dig out the roots of addiction that are deep in the ground of this sick insane society and it is these social conditions that constantly manufactures more and more drunks and dope fiends. The people of the United States are the largest consumer of drugs, legal and illegal, in the world. What is up with that?

In the end on this lifelong journey there should be a self-realization that it is not about going somewhere else from where we are, but in being HERE NOW in our whole being as a humane being. In a way, there is no existing past or future, only what is HERE NOW. There is only this HERENESS and this NOWNESS. The journey ends where it began, within us, within our BEINGNESS. Thus, from our HERE NOW we work on our continued Spiritual Growth, Maturity and Liberty!

So for me the concept of ‘progressive recovery’ is not just another approach to recovery fabricated our of my fanciful fantasies to be added to the others, it is really a matter of personal survival as I wage people’s war with all the powers and resources at my disposal. If I need to go it alone, I will go it alone. I must follow the dictates of my conscience, of my humane consciousness and ultimately it is a delicate personal matter between the Divine Who holds the Ledger of Life and my own salvaged soul.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
For the perspective of seven, active duty military that are in-country I suggest you read this article:

War as We Saw It

An excerpt:

The claim that we are increasingly in control of the battlefields in Iraq is an assessment arrived at through a flawed, American-centered framework. Yes, we are militarily superior, but our successes are offset by failures elsewhere. What soldiers call the “battle space” remains the same, with changes only at the margins. It is crowded with actors who do not fit neatly into boxes: Sunni extremists, Al Qaeda terrorists, Shiite militiamen, criminals and armed tribes. This situation is made more complex by the questionable loyalties and Janus-faced role of the Iraqi police and Iraqi Army, which have been trained and armed at United States taxpayers’ expense.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Creed Of The Dreamkeepers~~
"If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.... But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."
~ Australian Aboriginal Elder Lilla Watson
www.dreamkeepers.net...

POST REMOVED: OFF TOPIC CONTENT, UNSOURCED WORK OF OTHERS

Terms And Conditions Of Use
1h.) Spamming: You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.
\
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 26-8-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
the surge doesnt seem to be working you still get bombs in the green zone and attacks on us troops but further more bombs still going off daily the iraqi army cant really do much they have no morale its been destroyed bombing every day being threatened.

a full scale pull out effective now would be good trying to occupy iraq aint working 30,000 more troops aint working advanced military equipment aint working do we continue and stay in iraq chances are itll stay like this or do we pull out and see the results?

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
"a full scale pull out effective now would be good trying to occupy iraq aint working 30,000 more troops aint working advanced military equipment aint working do we continue and stay in iraq chances are itll stay like this or do we pull out and see the results?"

Good God how about a period or a comma in there or something? I dont even understand what you just said. I dont mean to be grammar police or anything, but if you are going to post on a message board, at least write something that is understandable eh?

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What the hell are you talking about and WHAT does any of your Aztlan crap have to do with this thread?

[edit on 8/26/2007 by Rockpuck]

top topics

join