It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions For Christians!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll
it is possible that mary was a virgin before the birth of jesus,but not after.no doubt her and joseph consumated their marriage.

Joseph didn't "know" her until after Jesus was born (Mt1:25).

See Mt1:18-19 too. He was about ready to put her away too after finding she was pregnant.

Read the gospels sometime carefully and seek him. He'll show you some of his things, if you really care.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

if jesus was the son og god,why did he bleed,why did he die?? i ask because everything i know about all the different gods that exist,have existed,(depending on your beliefs.)agree totaly on one thing! gods do not bleed! gods cannot be killed by mortal man....if this is so i guess that could explain the ressurrection.it was just an act,a symbol.....

He was mortal. He had to be this way so that he could "DIE" for our sins. Which he did in the most heinous way for us. He bled because he was mortal.

for any catholics reading this jesus was a sinner! why? because he was born of a mortal woman,therefore he was born from original sin!
not that i believe in original sin and the 7 deadly sins.load of nonsence....but i'll save that for another thread....unless somebody asks

Correct, he was born with original sin, and was baptised and died taking the sins of the world with him - "Because God so loved the world he gave his ONLY Son" to die for our sins.

In Matthew 3:13-15 it says, "Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, iI need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?' Jesus replied, 'Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.'" Jesus got baptized to fulfill all righteousness.

roman records of jesus do exist.so whoever mentioned money,get your cheque book out!

Not original records at all. Perhaps records based on human accounts but not original physical documents that can be held that were compiled on those specific days. As mentioned, destroyed by fire in the time of Nero.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Can someone explain the whole jesus dying for our sins business.i'm just askin because its something that i can't get my head around,it just doesn't seem to sink in.i'm not always the brightest star in the sky
but i just keep wondering,what was the point? what effect did it have on humans? would he made more of an impact if he spent a long life on earth preaching and converting?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Jesus had to die. He chose to
So that what happened at Eden could be reversed. The devil gained a victory over man by pursuading man and woman to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which they weren't supposed to.
Sin entered the heart of man. One thing God did was kill animals for the skins to cover Adam and Eve. Fig leaves weren't enough as thier son Cain would learn, he offered vegetables for sacrifice to God, he still didn't understand God had to have life to cover sin. Life is in the blood. Something,(an animal back then) had to die or the sin would kill the sinner.
Jesus' blood which he himself took to God to put over the mercy seat is what god looks at before he can see our forgiven sins. But they're only forgiven if we ask Jesus. Try it,you won't be disappointed.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Thousands of people have either killed or been killed in "God's" name so why should the death of Jesus atone for the "evil" Adam committed in the garden of eden.
For the life of me I can not understand the whole concept of "original sin" and the belief that this proves the historical existence of Jesus

If (?) Jesus did exist then surely it is his message of care and consideration for his fellow human beings which should inspire.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
if jesus' death reversed what happened in eden,then why is the world like it is? why are we still being punished by god for something we didn't even do!?!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

if jesus' death reversed what happened in eden,then why is the world like it is? why are we still being punished by god for something we didn't even do!?!

It's being punished for what it does. You, I and everybody. We can't necessarily dump the blame completely on Adam. That was just the start of it. We individually are guilty of OUR sin. When you stand before GOD, you will give an account for YOU not Adam, or anyone else.

The world is like it is because GOD is RIGHTEOUS. Not because he is unrighteous. He feeds the just and the unjust. Would you have mercy enough to feed a man if he punched you in the face every day? Hoping that maybe one day he would become your friend? The LORD feeds countless millions of people every single day that do the same to him. Giving all a chance to come to repentance and the faith of Jesus Christ.

See your very life comes from GOD. He has mercy enough to let you live. Whether you deny him, or not. Hoping that you will come to the realization that you are guilty and turn to him. Then he'll change you.

According to the letter of the law, every man is equally a law breaker.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by WiseSheep]

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have no problem with answering for my own "sins" come "Judgement Day" so why did Jesus have to die on the cross for my sins if I have to answer for them anyway?

Sorry, I just can't understand this.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I have no problem with answering for my own "sins" come "Judgement Day"...

You have nothing to pay. So what will your answer be?

so why did Jesus have to die on the cross for my sins if I have to answer for them anyway?

So that through him you might be saved. As in John 3:17, he didn't come to condemn the world, but that the world THROUGH HIM might be saved.

Anyone who doesn't go through him will be found guilty and sentenced, because they have nothing to pay.

You come into this world with nothing and you will leave it with nothing. You will stand before him more naked than naked. Every little thing about you and every little thing you have done will be laid bare and examined.

He died to fulfill his own word. His word is truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Jesus had to die. He chose to

so it was suicide?

So that what happened at Eden could be reversed. The devil gained a victory over man by pursuading man and woman to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which they weren't supposed to.

that is so odd. why is it that the bad guy is the one dispensing knowledge in this myth? it shows that whoever founded this religion knew how to keep people away from knowing.

anyway, that stuff never happened, evolution and the like shows that humans descended from lower forms, there was never an adam or an eve.

Sin entered the heart of man. One thing God did was kill animals for the skins to cover Adam and Eve. Fig leaves weren't enough as thier son Cain would learn, he offered vegetables for sacrifice to God, he still didn't understand God had to have life to cover sin. Life is in the blood. Something,(an animal back then) had to die or the sin would kill the sinner.
Jesus' blood which he himself took to God to put over the mercy seat is what god looks at before he can see our forgiven sins. But they're only forgiven if we ask Jesus. Try it,you won't be disappointed.

i thought god was against blood sacrafices... oh wait, i'm thinking of some other, gentler god that doesn't order massive genocides willy nilly

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
REPLY TO WiseSheep....why can't we lay the blame souly on adam and eve? we were not the one's who made them defy god....actually,we can lay the blame on god himself! he let lucifer into the garden of eden.he let lucifer tempt eve! should we feel guilty for something god allowed to happen when it didn't have to??

humans cannot escape sin. why?
well look at the 7 deadly sins at its most basic.each an every sin cannot be avoided.for example...WRATH-if your child is attacked you will feel anger at the attacker,yes? GLUTTONY-nothing more then eating an extra piece of pie when you're already full.SLOTH-nothing more than spending an extra hour in bed.ENVY-a farmer who works by hand will envy a man who has a machine to make the work easier.PRIDE-if your child does well at school you will feel pride in their achievements,yes? LUST-very important for the survival of mankind and enjoyment of sex.without it men would not get an erection.without it sex for a woman would be an extremely painful act! GREED-nothing more than wanting to buy an 8th shirt when you already have one for every day of the week....

these emotions are what make us human,and i refuse to apologize for that! without these things what kind've ppl would we be??

...ok,typical me,gone off topic

i should tell the reason i asked my original questions.... a local priest of mine and a visiting reverand where recently asked by several church goers about the da vinci code.these 2 men got in such a volatile state that i was expecting them to start frothing at the mouth! and i wondered,could 2 simple things,the mortality of jesus and a jesus bloodline,really shake the foundations of ppl's faith that much!

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
cristianity isnt always to make sense and these days i got a real increase in my belief...im not ur tipical SUPER cristian who goes to church.
i just know i belief...and thats it...nothin more....prey for stuff i find useful to prey for...time to time.

but in the last days what things happened
1 my pc was RESSURECTED from death.......after a storm.....i never though it will turn on again i though the motherboard is dead
2 i passed my driving exam....about time better then never
3 and yet again my plazma monitor was saved again.....couse i got a bottle of juice from the freezer started hitting it to break the ice
then tryed to open it and apperently U SHOULDNT DO THAT AT HOME
when i opened it the air inside blowed like a grenade full of ice....but the plasma and tv were unhamred THANK GOD MY PARENTS WERE GOING TO KILL ME
now i prey more and have more respect^^

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

REPLY TO WiseSheep....why can't we lay the blame souly on adam and eve?

Well if you blame Adam you blame yourself. You and I are the seed of Adam, in the flesh.

We all contain the same thing, that, well ok try this. Sit something absolutely fascinating in front of a kid and tell him not to touch it. Then leave the room and peek around the corner.

You already know what will happen, because it's in you and all of us.

we were not the one's who made them defy god.

Ahh, but we defy GOD. Can a thief rightly accuse a robber of stealing?

...actually,we can lay the blame on god himself! he let lucifer into the garden of eden.he let lucifer tempt eve!

hmm, well better put. He loved man enough to let him have free will to either obey him or disobey him, even if it meant this happening.

these emotions are what make us human,and i refuse to apologize for that!

What made us human was the breath of life. What got us into this mess was doubting GOD's word. Even that we are all guilty at some point or another.

without these things what kind've ppl would we be??

We'd be amazing.

[edit on 8-8-2007 by WiseSheep]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Keep in mind it wasn't until the Council of Nicea that the issue of Jesus being God came up. He had to be formed into this in order to be accepted into the Roman Pantheon.

Many Bishops argued against this, but Constantine sided with the Romans.

Anyone who's faith is shaken by Christ being a man doesn't really have any faith now do they?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Jackyll two things really bad you have said one Jesus was born of mary so he had original sin wrong.......original sin comes from the father....always the seven deadly sins are not thin lines that can be crossed example gluttontry doesn't mean an over weight person or that you can eat at a buffet it means eating over the amount of which you need eating just to eat it's actually something i don't think anyone can do most get a to full sensation via guardian angels.......lust is not seeing a hot chick and getting an erection lust is willfully wanting to commit adultry and doing so.....and it goes on like that the deadly sins are the extremes your life is consumed by the sins.....and there was a suicide remark back there come on dude no sacrifice......taking the bullet....grow up......ALSO TO CLARIFY other religions are mans search and quest for God but man's complacency gets in the way christianity is God's search and quest for man

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
"Well if you blame Adam you blame yourself. You and I are the seed of Adam, in the flesh."

So in essence you are saying that the son must pay for the sins of the father?
A bit harsh isn't it?

"What got us into this mess was doubting GOD's word. Even that we are all guilty at some point or another."

The reason I doubt "GOD's word" is that I have yet to see a single bit of proof that the bible and it's preachings are in fact "GOD's word". I absolutely refuse to put Blind Faith in anything, certainly not interpretations of writings about a Man, who may have lived about 2000years ago, which were written years after he allegedly lived and were selectively put together to help maintain control and to perpetuate Paul's subsequent interpretation, (a man who never met Jesus and whose beliefs are at times sometimes quite the opposite of those of Jesus's).

Back on thread though, If Jesus hadn't married and produced offspring then he would have been an object of ridicule in those times and his teachings would never have been taken seriously, unless of course he was of the Nazorean Essene Sect and that would also put a question mark on Jesus and the teachings of the bible.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

So in essence you are saying that the son must pay for the sins of the father?
A bit harsh isn't it?

I don't think you are quite getting the point. Regardless of what Adam did or didn't do. At this point every man alive is guilty of his own sin. Our responsibility is for ourselves.

Just as Eve tried to cast blame on the serpent, and Adam tried to cast blame on Eve. When each of them alone were responsible for physically taking the fruit and eating. You see.

When you or I cast blame on Adam that certainly doesn't remove our sins against GOD.

The reason I doubt "GOD's word" is that I have yet to see a single bit of proof that the bible and it's preachings are in fact "GOD's word".

Well if he intended for you to worship "the bible" as an idol then you just might. I dare say you'll find much of anything in it that makes sense to you until you come to know him. You might, but in my case it didn't make an ounce of sense.

The bible is just another book for those who don't know him. Was designed that way. That's why you have people searching it for codes and picking it apart letter by letter. Trying to work their way to the Father rather than going through his son. It's the tower of babel all over again. It won't happen.

Anyone who doesn't go through him is a thief and won't get anything, but their own shame.

I absolutely refuse to put Blind Faith in anything

As I understand Thomas did too and it was supplied to him. He just might show you his hands and his side if you seek him.

You won't put faith anywhere. It's a free gift from GOD. If you end up with it, it will be solely his work.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Some common ground then; I agree I should be responsible for my own actions and in the event of any Judgement Day then I should be judged on my actions and mine alone.

So where does Jesus dying on the cross for "my sins" fit into it?

You imply that the teachings of the bible are not meant to be taken literally and that there is a level of understanding which I fail to comprehend but that comprehension may come to me if I seek it and seek The Son.
Where does this fit with the OP's question of faith if it is "proven" that Jesus the person married and produced offspring?

Excuse me for labouring the point; I wish to understand your opinion but I'm just a simple man and sometimes I need things laying out on a plate for me

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Some common ground then; I agree I should be responsible for my own actions and in the event of any Judgement Day then I should be judged on my actions and mine alone.

What would you have to pay for your sins? The phrase "Hell to pay." comes to mind.

So where does Jesus dying on the cross for "my sins" fit into it?

It was the sacrifice to fulfill his law, the law which we all have broken. There is nothing more sacred to sacrifice than he himself, because he is above all.

His sacrifice doesn't really fit in, but rather is everything. From the foundation of the world.

You imply that the teachings of the bible are not meant to be taken literally

They are meant to be understood and he gives that understanding. If you understand any of his things, it is only because he gave it to you.

and that there is a level of understanding which I fail to comprehend but that comprehension may come to me if I seek it and seek The Son.

Pretty much. I'm sure there are others around who have experienced the same. Not many, there aren't many.

Where does this fit with the OP's question of faith if it is "proven" that Jesus the person married and produced offspring?

"It" didn't happen. It fits because it concerns him.

No fairy tale like this would make one who knows him fall, but could possibly plant a bad seed in those who may eventually seek him. Even then, no man can stand in his way.

The worst thing the enemy can do is make those who are his stronger.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
you seem so sure that jesus did not have children.what makes you so sure? your faith?

for a moment,imagine thats its true.the churches of the world declare that there is a jesus bloodline.would you immediatly give up your faith? would you wonder if his decendants existed in our world today? and if so,would you seek them out?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join