It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPACE.com story --- Greatest Mysteries: Does Alien Life Exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Here's the text...

Greatest Mysteries: Does Alien Life Exist?
By Ker Than
Staff Writer
posted: 06 August 2007
06:15 am ET

Editor's Note: We asked several scientists from various fields what they thought were the greatest mysteries today, and then we added a few that were on our minds, too. This article is one of 15 in LiveScience's "Greatest Mysteries" series running each weekday.

Life can be found in almost every nook and cranny of our planet Earth. Leaping, swimming, flying, sprinting, slithering, crawling or rooted firmly in place, organisms appear, die, and are replaced by new generations and new species.

Whether a similar bounty of life exists elsewhere in the universe is one of the oldest and most tantalizing questions of science. Considering the wide breadth of the universe and the countless stars it contains, the odds would seem in favor of the answer being "yes."

"We are here, made of stardust. Therefore, it is at least possible that there are others," said Jill Tarter, director of the Center for SETI Research in California.

Above report taken from here

Mainly, this is just a rewording/collection of statements we've all heard before. It is, however, somewhat encouraging that the idea of life in any shape of form isn't being summarily trashed as it often has been in the past.

------------------------
Mod edit - trimmed big quote

[edit on 6/8/07 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
uv777bk

the only thing the science community have trashed in the last 20 years is the idea of spaceships visiting earth. Life outside of earth has always been on the table- what do you think nasa are spending millions of dollars on missions to mars for? and millions on telescopes like kepler & TPF.

alot of ufo beleivers seem to think real scientists dont beleive in life outside of earth. Nothing could be further from the truth.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well screw me then.

I'm not a UFO believer or do you know me better?

I made a sweeping generalization for which I appologize profusely.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The Phoenix Mars Lander won't be looking for evidence of life on Mars but rather traces of organic compounds in the baked and moistened samples. Such compounds would be a possible indicator of conditions favorable for life, either now or once upon a time.

From here

I underlined the puzzling aspect... to me. I don't know enough to make a valued statement -- as I previously prooved with ease -- but the impression I get quite often is that all this work is being done to find life when some people don't expect to find anything... ever.

Why not look for life? What is more important in space exploration?

Do I believe that aliens are visiting earth? No.
Do I believe that the US has downed craft? No.
Do I believe that the US has an ongoing dialog with aliens? Hell no!!
Do I find any of the above possiblities interesting? Yup!

I've probably just made myself look even more stupid so I'll leave it at that

[edit on 6-8-2007 by uv777bk]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
no they dont expect to find life there with phoenix . The primary goal is a wider understanding of the martian water ice and its history with a specific view towards finding life favourable conditions in the past. This is a life related mission.

im sorry i offended you.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by yeti101]

join