It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Christian to explore space?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You don't get it. Christianity discourages questions by nature. It's the very basis of that type of "faith". I don't care how much you crow that it's "modern religion" now, there's nothing modern about a worn out old tradition that refuses to die, even though there's no more proof of "god" than there ever has been...which is none.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
You don't get it. Christianity discourages questions by nature. It's the very basis of that type of "faith". I don't care how much you crow that it's "modern religion" now, there's nothing modern about a worn out old tradition that refuses to die, even though there's no more proof of "god" than there ever has been...which is none.

Back it up biblically. I'm not saying it's "modern religion," I'm saying it's biblical religion. Not doctrine, but the Word.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I consider myself a christian and I support space exploration. Not the way it has been done with hidden agendas and hiding the truth concerning what is found out mind you.

I doubt Christ would be against it either. Consider that he was born a jew but when his message was not warmly received by Jewish leadership he began to approach the gentiles and desire that the gospel and church be spread to other lands (Turkey, Greece, Rome etc.).

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
its not christian or islamic or whatever it is human as we are human and we don't have to be devided by this. as we step on the a new frontier let us lose the middle ages please...

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
God didn't put us on this planet and then reveal Himself to us just to impress Himself (or so I think). He has a purpose.

In the beginning our Judeo/Christian history, God revealed to us His basic nature, what we could expect from Him, and what He expected out of us. The word got out.

Later, through the Prophets and Jesus, He taught us more about things like how we should live our lives, how we should treat our neighbors, and the secrets to living a fruitful existance while on Earth and how to achieve salvation.

God has always wanted us to grow, learn, and become wise. Through wisdom, we can defeat the evils of hunger, disease, war, intolerance, and basic human frailties.

God's plans and God's nature are all around us, if one looks in the right places. This planet and everything on it is but a mere fragment of God's creativity. Through science, we can gain understanding of God's nature and greatness.

I tend to think of the planet Earth as our playpen. When we are ready and strong enough, we will climb over the rail and begin to walk around the universe. It will be interesting to see what else God has created and placed in the great living room of our galaxy.

What is a really scary thought is what lies for us when we are big and strong enough to leave the house.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
What is a really scary thought is what lies for us when we are big and strong enough to leave the house.

Lol, wow, never really thought of it that way. Really makes you wonder...

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by samfashow
My brother is a born-again christian and he is an extreme believer and converter. He also backs Bush all the way because he is a "Christian" so therefore everything is right. No matter what our president has done he says it's right because, "He's a christian."

My thoughts now though are with Bush's new space announcement about building on the moon and sending a manned spacecraft to Mars. Would God like it if we go out of his domain and left the earth in which he created for us? It just doesn't seem logical and I couldn't see and christian's backing these proposals.

President Bush is not the kind of Christian that Jesus spoke of. There are very few that actually fit into that category today.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
God didn't put us on this planet and then reveal Himself to us just to impress Himself (or so I think). He has a purpose.

In the beginning our Judeo/Christian history, God revealed to us His basic nature, what we could expect from Him, and what He expected out of us. The word got out.

"God" has never revealed anything at all. It's all your imagination, based upon a book written by men who also had imaginations.
All religious law/rule/commandment is based upon the things that upset humans....not god. You just lack the ability to realize it.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The way I see it - Earth is just like any other home.

On the way up to the front door, you'll find the garden. This is South America. Though unfortunately they've been pulling up the plants and have added a concrete driveway.

Once you go through the front door, you find the stairs to the cellar. Here you'll find the Middle East. They're the boiler that's running the heating system. They're not too happy about being left in the cellar and now and again they complain. They're dreading the day that solar panels are fitted into the roof.

On the ground floor, you've got Asia. They take up the kitchen and they do most of the menial work that keeps the house going. They also have the living room and there's a lot of 'em so it needs to be a big living room. In general they keep things tidy but there's a strong possibility that we'll need an extension built unless they slow down with the population growth.

On the first floor you've got Europe and the US sharing the master bedroom. Occasionally they argue and Europe goes to sleep in the spare room but generally they just lie there all day musing about how soft and fluffy the pillows should be.
Now and again they go downstairs and kick the boiler when it's playing up. They also used to interfere with the cooking in the kitchen but they got their fingers burnt once too many times so now they just shout down for breakfast in bed every now and again.
Canada sleeps in the spare room. They're allowed upstairs but they've been told to keep the music down.

In the bathroom you've got the Arctic and Antarctic. Everybody's been for a crap in there, there's rings round the bath and pubes in the soap but nobody is prepared to clean up after themselves.

Up in the attic you've got Africa. Dark and dusty. They've been shoved up there by the other occupants of the house and are largely forgotten about. Occasionally there's a hornets nest up there, so the rest of the house has to get together to deal with it, but in general, that seems like too much hard work.

Chained up in the back yard you've got Australia. Well, you aren't going to let them into the house trailing muddy pawprints around everywhere, are you?

Eventually some of us are gonna have to leave this house. We'll outgrow it and need to move on.

God help our new neighbours.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
LOL I love it, Leveller! I'm going to have to copy that and email it to some friends!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join