It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STOP STOP STOP!! God is a myth! God is real!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Sorry for having to post this, but another thread here prompted me to do so.

For my fellow evolutionists and atheists here, forgive me as I don't have my Atheist/Evolutionist handbook around. But, could you please tell me what chapter says we must go out of our way to try to prove the creationists and god lovers wrong?

I know I looked through it last week, but I just don't recall that part.

Sure, the christians and other religious groups feel that it's their duty as good christians (or other) to spread the gospel. However, I'm pretty sure it's nowhere in our doctrine that we must also try to spread our word and refute their faith.

Sure, we, as Atheists, KNOW there is no god. However, they, being religious, KNOW there is a god. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Don't get me wrong, if they start burning us at the stake again tomorrow, I'll be one of the first ones out there with my guns and trigger happy. However, that is not the case and I think that BOTH groups are being just a bit pretentious these days in trying to push their beliefs on those that don't believe the way they do.

Whatever happened to learning from past mistakes? and living and let live?

This whole nonsense needs to stop. There is nothing at all wrong with a good debate......however, such things as "$$$$ for the one that can PROVE god exists" need to cease. You are not proving a point anymore than they would be if they said the exact opposite (and NO you can't prove that god DOESN'T exist either).

Grow up. Be happy in your own beliefs and let others be happy in theirs. There are far too many other sources of pain in this life. This one is one we can do without.

Don't try to make someone else question their faith, you wouldn't want them doing it to you.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Yeah, I was waiting for this thread-LOL

I agree completely, and I say that as a beliver in 'one god'. i think that the solution is to allow others (namely religious individuals) the freedom to post something revelant to the main topic, with something that either directly emphasises a current topic or disputes it. BUT, only so far as to point out the biblical relevance as a reference. Not in order to prophesize their own rendition of how this can be seen as the ultimate christian apologetic needed to settle it all.

It's that, because they feel so spiritualy and emotionally alive due to their faith (well, most, i assume, definately not all) that they become defensive or deeply saddened by atheists remarks. And some atheists are really just posers of people who are actually carrying a revenge stained sword. So, they use their disallusioned 'belief' to strike out against believers. They give a bad name. All extremists do, we just have to remember that we are all not extremist, and should not label of be labeled as such.

Like you said..Live and let live..

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well said. As an agnostic I, too, have been a bit vexed by the spate of the God threads of late.

I've largely kept away from them, from lemme just say one thing to all of my fellow athiest/agnostics: Faith in God is not responsible for the actions of those few who would inflict violence and tyrany on the rest of us if they could. That comes from a dark heart, the heart that God is supposed to enlighten.

Let's consider that guy who threw two Korans into the toilet. New York would send him to prison for several years because he committed a "hate crime". You know what crime he committed? Vandalism. That's all. To charge him with anything further is to criminalize thoughts, emotions and personal beliefs. And these "hate crimes" laws are written, mainly, by athiests.

So let's take a breather, look at the big picture, and realize that tyrants and thought police come in all shapes, colors and creeds. It is a human failing that creates repression, not a failing of God or faith, for that matter, in any particular "Truth".

Unless, of course, one believes that their Truth requires the repression of all others.

Liberty and Justice for all!

Have an ATS day!

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well said yourself there TuningSpork, or as I shall call you "The one who always replies to my threads" haha.

It's a sad state when MOST atheists become that way because they see the oppression and persecution from those of faith, so they turn around and do the same? Hey kettle, this is pot you black bastard.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Well, it is the Origins & Creationnism forum after all and there's bound to be harsh posts by both sides.

And after all, as an atheist, I do not KNOW that there is no god. But I can see the flaws in the "holy" scriptures and deduce they are not divine. However that does not mean there isn't a god there that either is malevolent or doesn't care/doesn't know about life on Earth.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
Well, it is the Origins & Creationnism forum after all and there's bound to be harsh posts by both sides.

And after all, as an atheist, I do not KNOW that there is no god. But I can see the flaws in the "holy" scriptures and deduce they are not divine. However that does not mean there isn't a god there that either is malevolent or doesn't care/doesn't know about life on Earth.

Those are very enlightening, honest viewpoints on the whole debate. Kudos! I am as Ive stated previously a very spiritual/one God believer, and I sometimes cringe at the intelligence people use to praise or refute God. But, you have, in fact, done an excellent job of expressing your beliefs without opressing others.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I don't even like to discuss this topic at all. People have their minds made up and there's nothing you can say to make anyone of them think differently. It's quite futile...really..

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
well, civil discussion is one thing. But it seems like people can't have a "civil" discussion on this topic. It either spirals into childish name calling or blatantly starts out that way.

If you look around this forum, you see titles that are MEANT to stir emotion and trigger arguments ("HOW CAN YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE IN GOD?" or "WHY ALL EVOLUTIONISTS ARE STUPID"....things of that nature).

Civil debate can always accomplish something. "You hurt my feewwins" name calling accomplishes nothing.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
well, civil discussion is one thing. But it seems like people can't have a "civil" discussion on this topic. It either spirals into childish name calling or blatantly starts out that way.

Civil debate can always accomplish something. "You hurt my feewwins" name calling accomplishes nothing.

Jasn

Yeah, seriously. Maybe it's my fault because I just recently decided to get the kahunnas to psychologicaly read, let alone post in this forum, and now all the intelligent, well behaved ATS members have been beaten down too hard to even care. But, I want to have a civil-discussion. We must always know,comprehend and ponder that someone else may have the right idea. Discussion can often reinforce our beliefs, give us more knowledge, and understand the issue. Anyone up for that kind of a discussion?

top topics

join