It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Time real? What is Time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Like many have already said on this thread, time is a device made for the conveniance of our own race, used for predictions, writing history and the like, but that aside you still feel time passing you by sometimes quicker than you would like it to, it makes us learn from previous mistakes that cannot be undone. I find the concept of time hard to visualize, perhaps because it's not meant to be visualized or understood with science. The universe ticks on and on with time as we ourselves do and now i understand, that i do not have to understand it

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
If you think about how we measure time we are in fact measuring distance. A year is a distance the earth travels, an hour is an amount that the earth rotates, so is a minute and a second. Even atomic clocks take their measurements from tiny vibrations.

I have thought about this issue a lot, and it is surely one of the greatest philosophical challenges of our time, no pun intended. My conclusions are this: either time is beyond human comprehension, or time doesn't even exist. I'm leaning towards the latter choice of nonexistence, I feel that everything exists in one single moment not defined by a beginning or end, but it simply just is.

You all should listen to this man...,

This is a correct intrepetion of time.

"Time" simply exists because of movement. Movement is time.

The fact that you can write down a sentence IS time.

But, without movement, there is no "time". So, without gravity taking you along with earth, there is no "time" (movement) so you will be frozen, in "time".

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I am not a physicist but I have a theory...

I believe time may be the speed at which a universe is traveling through the theorized fourth spatial dimension containing a "soup" of time. The travel of this universe through this "soup" could determine times perceived passage within.

Thoughts?

<< 1   >>

join