It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Eating Plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I had heard a story several years ago about a man eating plant that was supposed to live in Vietnam. I am unable to find any confirmation of such a plant, however I did find some good stuff on meat eating plants. For example:

The largest of the meat-eating plants is a relative of the pitcher plant named Nepenthes. It grows in the rain forests of Southeast Asia as a vine up to 50 feet in length. The pitchers sometimes grow to be a foot in length. Nepenthes traps mostly insects and small frogs, though animals as large as a rat have been found dead digesting in its juices. Some Nepenthes pitchers that have been found are large enough to hold four quarts of liquid.

www.unmuseum.org...

Just thought it was a pretty interesting read.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
but have yet to find out, how simple plants could develope into flesh eaters?

I mean, plants evolved using photosynthesis to obtain their nutrients (well, that and soil absorbtion). What happened, all those eons ago, for some plants to decide to hunt and devour living flesh?

Were they at one time an animal that deicided to better hunt it would stay in one place? Many deep sea creatures have developed "attracters" to draw the food to them, and animals like the sponge and sea anomies (I kant spel) tend to stay relativly fixed in one location.

But plants? HOW?!

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Is a site that talks about the origin of weird plants. Its pretty cool
www.killerplants.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thanx

Now have Triffids in my head!!!

:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Soothsayer

Evolution sometimes works in strange ways... And logic is not always part of its way.

Interesting topic.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I remember once seeing a programme many years ago and there was a guy on it who had a Venus Fly-Trap he used to feed it about 0.5 - 1lb of meat a day. The thing was huge!
Nowhere near big enough to pose a threat to human, even a very, very, very small one
, but for a Venus Fly-Trap, this thing was a monster

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Feed me Seymour!!!

A rat hmm? Wow... Not surprising though....plants have long depended on animals for reproduction, just seems logical to supplement as food as well, hehe....

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Lol! That pic is hilarious hehehe!
I dont think its possible. Bugs and insects, yeah but...No humans.

top topics

join