12oz sharp Cheddar cheese (approx. 2 1/2 cups) - shredded
3 1/2 - 4 dozen whole jalapeno peppers - halved and seeded
1/3 pound bacon - fried crisp and crumbled*
2 cups whole milk
3 cups corn meal
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
2 quarts oil for frying

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- In a medium bowl, THOROUGHLY mix the cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon.
* a food processor works well for the bacon, since you want it finely chopped

- Spoon the mixture into the halved jalapenos, rounding off the tops.

- Put the milk and corn meal/breadcrumb mixtures into separate bowls.

- Dip the stuffed jalapenos into the milk and then into the corn meal/breadcrumb mixture, making sure that they are well coated. Place them into the refrigerator and let "dry" for 10 minutes, then repeat dipping process to ensure a thorough and sufficient coating.
* a third dipping/dredging may be needed or desired

- Heat the oil to 360 degrees (F) in a medium skillet or deep fryer. Deep fry the coated jalapenos 2-3 minutes or until a golden brown. Remove and let dry on a paper towel. If using a fryer, just lift out the basket and let drain until "dry".

* Be sure to wear disposable rubber gloves when halving and seeding the jalapenos. Otherwise, the oils in the peppers will linger in your skin and you run the risk of quite a bit of pain ... especially if when you inadvertantly touch your eyes or face. IT WILL BURN! Trust me, I learned the hard way.
Don't try to be the manly-man, because you'll be bawling like a baby in no time at all.

Makes approximately 7-8 dozen jalapeno poppers, or you can adjust the recipe accordingly for half, quarter batches, or single servings.

We make full batches and simply fill quart-sized ziploc bags with a dozen each. They freeze well and will hold for up to 6 months.

So, there you have it, in just a few hours you've made a sufficient amount of poppers that can be fried and eaten immediately, or they can be frozen for later consumption.

I've yet to have ANY restaurant brand that even compares to these. THAT, and when you need a quick, spur of the moment appetizer, just heat up some oil and take a dozen or so out of the freezer. Within a few short minutes you and your guests will be enjoying some of the best jalapeno poppers you've ever had.

The process should look something like this ...

Halve and seed the jalapenos:

Thoroughly mix the cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon:

Fill the halved jalapenos, rounding off the tops:

Dip into milk and dredge thru the corn meal/breadcrumb mixture TWICE (repeat if needed, to ensure a thorough coating):

Deep fry for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.

ENJOY!

If anyone makes this recipe, please post back with your opinion ... or, better yet, the response from your guests.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
sounds yummy. can't wait to try it. thanks for the recipe.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sounds great, looks great. On my shopping list.
I didn't grow any tis year. But I usually do.

Good idea, about the freezing. Quick appetizers.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I would have tried these this weekend if I caught this thread. They look delicious. I grow my own Peppers and have always wanted to make poppers. This looks like just the ticket.

will try them next week and report back. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kellter

will try them next week and report back. Thanks for sharing!

Please do.

If you find yourself with leftover "filling", just roll it into slightly larger than marble-sized balls and coat the same as you would the poppers.

Cheese Balls that are to die for, though I'd suggest simply eating them.

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Those just made me drool! I can't wait to try them. I think I might leave the bacon out though, or just make half with bacon and half without to see whick I like better.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
These look great! Since you say they freeze well, I'll be making a batch sometime soon!

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Bee-yootiful! And delicious, I'm sure! Thanks, Jeanie!

I love the pictures, how the ingredients' packages are in the picture.

I have that same green tupperware bowl!

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Oh thank-you, I needed this recipe............

My peppers should be ready to pick in about 2 weeks, maybe 3, but I'm gonna give this recipe a try as soon as I can. I should have about 50+ jalapeños to work with when they're ripe, so I will try to freeze some, and I'll let you know how it goes.

I ordered poppers with pizza the other night and I paid about $5.00 for 6 of them, and they weren't even very good. :shk:

Here's a pic of some of my crop, I'm growing them in window boxes on my balcony.

They seem to love the location.

Edit: image

[edit on 7/8/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Anx,

I see enough on those plants to beat the "pizza house's poppers" hands down, and, your right, even with the cost of ingredients they're still cheaper to make than to buy ... better, too.

secret titan,

The bacon should be "crumbled" to the point that it's a "flavor" as opposed to a "texture". It's there, but you wouldn't know such unless/until told so.

The original recipe called for a tablespoon of "bacon bits" ... yeah ... right.

fry 'em up, Anx ... others (?)

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
These look great, 12. Might try em sometime, sans the bacon, of course.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
OH man oh man oh man oh man!!! I AM going tro try that recipe. That looks absolutely awesome. BUT, i would mix some of the seeds in with the cream cheese for that extra "bite"
:w:

LOL

But seriously, i am going to try that! Thanks a tonnnn 12m8keall2c

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Looks good thanks for the recipe.I always wondered how to make these I usually buy them prepacked at Krogers,but lately they have not been in stock.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I had trouble with the coating but cook'em up anyway. Very tasty.
I think a chilies rellenos coating would work for these also. I'll try one of these days.

Roper

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Roper

Tell me more about the trouble you had with the coating.

My peppers are almost ready to go, and I'll be cooking some this coming week-end.
Any tips from others that have tried this would be appreciated.

I'd like to get it right the first time.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Just wouldn't stick. :bnghd:

The peppers may have to much wax. Don't know for sure.

Roper

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Roper

The key to the coating is repetition to ensure full and proper coverage.

Past experience has been that Deep Fryers work better than "a pot on the stove". They seem to regulate the temperature better, and the coating stays more intact.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I tried multiple coatings but it just wouldn't stick to most of the pepper. Stuck well to the filling.

Roper

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's popper day........
I have the stuffing ingredients, I have the peppers.

Based on one of the pictures originally posted, and the experience of Roper, I've decided to modify the recipe just a little bit.

I'm thinking along the lines of making a gooey paste of flour, breadcrumbs, milk, an egg, plus a little salt and pepper for seasoning.
I think this might stick a little better, and then I'll roll them in the corn meal before they go into the hot oil.

Stay tuned, I'll post the pictures of my attempt later today.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The deed has been done, I have achieved popper success thanks to 12m8keall2c.

I gathered my ingredients, but did alter the recipe a bit.

I halved the peppers.......

Then I crumbled the bacon to mix with the two cheeses.

I followed through with stuffing them with the filling.

Then I strayed from the recipe.
I mixed equal parts of flour and corn meal, 1 egg, and 3/4 cup of homo milk.
I beat it into submission, to the point that I had a smooth batter, but very thick.

I also mixed in a separate pot equal parts of flour and corn meal for dusting the battered poppers.

The batter stuck like glue because it was thick, and then rolling them in the dry mixture coated them very well.

Next it was off to the fryer...........
I cooked them in hot oil about 350 F
But only for 4 -5 minutes, 6 at the most.

Here's the end result.
I bit the three in the front for you to see the filling, but they coated well, and turned out nice and crispy.

Thanks for the recipe 12m8keall2c, sorry for the modification, but it works.
I'll be cooking these a lot from now on.

Edit: needed to...........

[edit on 8/9/2007 by anxietydisorder]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join