It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Plans Armageddon Spacecraft to Blast Asteroids With Nuclear Fusion Warheads

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion
IN a show called staragte, they sent nuc's to send to an astroid, but it had a new matireal in it and if they blew up, it would of created a mega mega blast, taking out most of the solar system, whatn im getting at is....shouldnt we make sure there isnt any damgerous matireals on it before we go shooting it ? and why we want to blow space stuff up ? We not happy enough just blowing each other up ?

take Care, Vix

Example: A huge bigass meteorite goes flying straight at our earth, and the only thing that could POSSIBLY stop it is a nuke.

What would you rather do, watch the huge bigass meteorite crash into earth and destroy everything?

Or would you rather try out the nuke, PERHAPS destroying all of mankind, but *also* perhaps destroying the meteorite / blowing it off course.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
So NASA has designed a satellite that will orbit the Earth armed with a small barrage of nukes that can be fired off. I would assume that the satellite can be "re-filled" so to speak... a shuttle crew flies up, slaps in a new replacement nuke, and BAM - backin business.

No. The craft would not be launched until there was a target. The Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen that powers the rocket boosters will boil off in time.

Its use it or lose it...

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ah, ok - thanks for clearing that up.

In any case, it is just a design right now... as far as we know. Nothing to worry about until the big rock comes hurling at us.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Is this further proof that the 'asteroid shower' is coming this way and will strike earth and that NASA acknowledges this?

If so will the secret government use its most advanced technology to save earth and humans or scurry underground and hide in underground cities to become slaves of the lizards and leave the rest of us to our own devices?

Is NASA being a public operation our last hope of defence? Or is this just for show to make it look like they are doing something akin to the recent global warming actions?

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Is this further proof that the 'asteroid shower' is coming this way and will strike earth and that NASA acknowledges this?

I think that its the minds of engineers spinning wildly at the thought of being able to launch very large payloads. Its the first time since space station Skylab and the Battle Station Polyus that projects of such great size are possible without coordinating large scale space construction.

They did it because they could, and because they know no one else is going to do the job other than maybe Russia or Euros.

And it might be the most important thing NASA ever does, unfortunately.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Malichai]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There's a 1 in 45,000 chance that Apophis could "pop us" in 2036. No one is hiding this not even NASA. Big fella, dense, plenty velocity. Ain't a darn thing to do about this upcoming "pass". The next pass?

I think Dr. Schweickart's idea of using a mass (even a smaller asteroid in a group) and local gravitic forces to "sway" such a big beastie out of our way. I also think have a plan B, C, and D would be a notion - no notion should be ruled out until proven invalid. The big thing is detection with sufficient notice as to count. Lotsa surprise visits. There's an array being assembled in Chile that might help.

Whether it's asteroids, SME's, or our own space junk - it's a dangerous neighbourhood. We are the only species I'm aware of (wink, wink) who may be able to do something about that.

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: To correct date - keystroke error.

[edit on 6-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Ah, ok - thanks for clearing that up.

In any case, it is just a design right now... as far as we know. Nothing to worry about until the big rock comes hurling at us.

Let me correct myself by saying that would be assuming NASA used the Earth Departure Stage that they are building for the Moon program.

www.nasa.gov...

Its possible they could build a large storable propellant stage, but UDMH/N2O4 has a third less Specific Impulse so the departure stage would have to be much heavier than the EDS and/or the payload would need to be reduced.

Not to mention development of the largest storable propellant stage ever put into space...

But, it is possible. You know NASA...

[edit on 6-8-2007 by Malichai]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
Example: A huge bigass meteorite goes flying straight at our earth, and the only thing that could POSSIBLY stop it is a nuke.

What would you rather do, watch the huge bigass meteorite crash into earth and destroy everything?

Or would you rather try out the nuke, PERHAPS destroying all of mankind, but *also* perhaps destroying the meteorite / blowing it off course.

If you shot it and it blows up the solar systemand kills all other life, then no i woudlnt shoot it, you carnt kill millions of others just because ohyu thought it might give you a little chance.

Taek care, Vix

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion

If you shot it and it blows up the solar systemand kills all other life, then no i woudlnt shoot it, you carnt kill millions of others just because ohyu thought it might give you a little chance.

Taek care, Vix

We aren't going to launch any nukes that threaten destroying all life in the solar system. There might not even BE any other life in the solar system anyway. However chances are a massive asteroid is going to do far more damage to life on Earth than is a nuke getting blown up on launch. Keep in mind, that nuclear weapons are complex devices and so having the rocket carrying them explode won't make the nuke go off, though it is possible it would scatter pieces of radioactive material over a large area. Still, that's hardly as life threatening as an asteroid or comet. If something were going to hit the Earth I'd hope that we would try and stop it with everything we could think of, regardless of the risks.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Why NASA's sudden interest in taking out asteroids over the last 10 years?
Do they know something we don't? That's the real question. Seems an awful lot of time and money for what they see as a slim probability, don't you think?????

I point your attention to the Dr. Carol Rosin testimony given in Steven Greer's two hour disclosure project National Press Club conference. She makes quite the mention about all the threats we have been led to believe: the Russian threat, the terrorist threat, the asteroid threat, and the upcoming ET threat. She said Werner Von Braun told her that the weaponization of space must not happen, under any circumstances.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug

I point your attention to the Dr. Carol Rosin testimony given in Steven Greer's two hour disclosure project National Press Club conference. She makes quite the mention about all the threats we have been led to believe: the Russian threat, the terrorist threat, the asteroid threat, and the upcoming ET threat. She said Werner Von Braun told her that the weaponization of space must not happen, under any circumstances.

Agreed, even if we have KILL EVERYONE to stop it. Space will be weaponized no mattered what. It can't be stopped, only delayed. If there is a way for one party to gain an advantage over another, they will eventually use it.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Langolier
Agreed, even if we have KILL EVERYONE to stop it. Space will be weaponized no mattered what. It can't be stopped, only delayed. If there is a way for one party to gain an advantage over another, they will eventually use it.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Also in the witness testimony of the Disclosure Project, it was mentioned that nuclear weapons were launched (test platforms) and the missile fell to earth after being shot down with some sort of light beam by a UFO. It was also mentioned that UFOs have hovered above active nuclear military bases and rendered the entire silo in an unlaunchable state. It has also been said by other military personnel (not necessarily part of the Disclosure Project) that actual missiles were launched at other countries and were shot down by UFOs. Clearly, (if true) they don't want us using nuclear weapons of any sort. What isn't sure is if they are trying to prevent us from destroying ourselves (again) (as we may have done so in the far past according to ancient texts) or if they are trying to prevent the weaponization of space. They obviously don't care about our science missions because we have sent nuclear powered probes (such as Cassini) all around the solar system.

Note: remember the fiasco surrounding the launch of Cassini? There was a 1 in 1000 chance that the craft, when orbitting around the earth to accelerate itself, could have come back into the atmosphere, burned up, and rained down 60 pounds of nuclear material (the most ever sent into space aboard a probe) into the atmosphere and eventually onto the cities below. There were many protests in front of the White House before Cassini was launched. NASA was willing to take the chance. Many people weren't. As you can see, it went up regardless of what the people thought.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Could a project orion type of spacecraft with it's mass and incredible velocity be a good way to deflect/shatter an asteroid by simply crashing in to it?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Rather than crash into it - I would or thought one or more craft either landing or otherwise anchoring to the asteroid like the Japs are doing at the moment with the Hyabusa then there would be a lot more control then as opposed to playing 3D pool ~ as cool as that sounds!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Rather than crash into it - I would or thought one or more craft either landing or otherwise anchoring to the asteroid like the Japs are doing at the moment with the Hyabusa then there would be a lot more control then as opposed to playing 3D pool in space ~ as cool as that sounds!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Maybe it could be to do with the recently spotted Apophis asteroid that poses a threat to earth. It will pass earth in 2028 closer than our satellites (which mean we will most definately see it), it may pass, but it could also be pulled in by earths gravity. But still we dont know much about it.

I have a thread on it if anyone is interested.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If anyone could dig up some more on the relation between this and apophis it would be very interesting!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join