It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current state of ufology.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So what are your thoughts on it? It seems to me that we are still stuck on page one merely because of the fact of no actual physical evidence which can be properly researched or accounted for.

Not only that, but it seems like a lot of ufologists are stuck on the same cycle too. Greer is running on and on about spiritual whatever while Jaime is going on with his whole 'Mexico/Aztecs/2012' stuff.

I think the best way to asses the direction ufology is going in is to list the current top ufologists and their current projects. This way people might have some exposure to names they are not familiar with and educate themselves further on the subject if they choose to do so.

Stanton Friedman - Government conspiracies/Famous UFO cases
Steven Greer - Government conspiracies/Connection between human spiritual aspects and UFOs/ETs
Jaime Mussan - Connection between Mexico/ancient societies and current UFO phenomena
Nancy Talbott - Cropcircle researcher

If anyone has any names they would like to shout out, post or send me a PM with the name/status of the individual(s).

P.S. I would add John Lear but his wikipedia entry is gone so I can't look up what he's working on.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by CidCaldensfey]

[edit on 5-8-2007 by CidCaldensfey]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think some people are going to be offended when you talk about ufology and then only highlight the projects of people like Greer and Mussan.

Anyway, Stanton Friedman has a new book on the Betty Hill case and was just recently on Larry King and Coast 2 Coast, exposing the public to the UFO phenomena in a scientific and serious way.

Regarding ufology in general, I think we're pretty much stuck.

There's a few advances from time to time, but are usually accompanied by a great number of disinformation campaigns and hoaxes to muddy the waters resulting in the public losing interest or ignoring or not even noticing the real event.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I only included Greer and Jaime as well since there really the only people that I know about aside from Stanton. This is the why the thread exists, so I can get the names of other people so I can read about them too.

I could care less about Greer or Jaime. But just because I do doesn't mean that they should be left out or even other people who have farfetched theories.

This thread is not geared towards any specific direction or person. But those are the only names that I know about, so if you or anyone else can name any other people, then please do so that I can add them to the list.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Although I do not follow Ufology close, I think that we are at a point where people are entrenched in their beliefs and doing more damage than those who do not believe in UFOs.

It looks like any idea of cooperation between different Ufology "branches" is left behind because all fear that the other part will try to use them just as leverage to achieve their goals.

But this is just my opinion as an outsider and a sceptic...

Originally posted by CidCaldensfey
P.S. I would add John Lear but his wikipedia entry is gone so I can't look up what he's working on.
You can send him a U2U and ask...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I wasn't offended personally Cid, I was just giving you a heads up of what might possibly be coming your way.

I understood your post and gave my opinion.

This thread is not geared towards any specific direction or person. But those are the only names that I know about, so if you or anyone else can name any other people, then please do so that I can add them to the list.

Maybe a good starting point would be to check out the 'UFO Hall of Fame' to get to know some names and get a picture of what they did for ufology.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wow cool! Thanks so much for that link.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Speaking of Jaime Mussan, I just uploaded video to Google of him at the 2006 UFO Conference.

Jaime Mussan @ 2006 UFO Conference

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I think the best way to asses the direction ufology is going in is to list the current top ufologists and their current projects. This way people might have some exposure to names they are not familiar with and educate themselves further on the subject if they choose to do so.

I'm not trying to be discouraging because anytime someone wants to look at the literature it is a good thing. But it's a big project. There's a lot out there. Just to give you an idea of how much, I have a book in two volumes called UFO's and the Extraterrestial Contact Movement; a bibliography by George Eberhart. It has 1300 pages representing over 15,000 entries, the majority of which are books, which only goes up to 1986.

I used to try to collect everything in the field (hence that book), but quickly found it impossible. I could not afford to get even the books as they were published, much less go retrospective. The field is just huge. I sometimes entertain fantasies of pulling together a bibliography myself of 'the best' but I don't know if that will ever get off the ground.

But if I may, two to watch are Richard Dolan and Timothy Good, both of whom will have new books out in the near future which are bound to be very good.

[edit on 8/7/2007 by schuyler]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I didn't even get to page one... stuck on the table of contents... every time I check it's bigger. I guess that's one reason why I enjoy this forum so much; if it isn't here at some point, it may not have been important enough for consideration.

Actually up to about the mid-nineties the data stack was almost manageable by a single person... now? Texas-flood. Coyote, tiny umbrella, big rock, gravity. It takes a community of effort for the reasonable individual to learn efficiently. Each one, teach one, repeat until insight is won.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Here's my 2 cent.

UFOlogy is a "cold-case" investigation.

What we have is 60 years of documented
sightings.

Archeo-evidence of POSSIBLE sightings.
(I say this as a possibility)

Hard, cold fact. UFO's are reaL.
they are here.

Question is, what are they.

I think they are "ours".

Maybe govt., maybe super-black projects
funded by the govt. (U2U me for deeper thoughts)

The current state of UFOlogy, as I see it, is a lot
of internet investigators doing research on what
has already been researched.

Don't get me wrong. It's great to learn what's
already out there.

But, we as a whole need to think "outside the net".

Back to the libraries.More FOIA requests. (yes, I do them)

And, what seems to me the biggest resource people miss.
Our elders.

Parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.

The generation that was involved in this research.

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again :

ASK !!!

The "oath" is tough, I know.
I've told some info to a person here that is still
classified (not UFO related) but, after 20 years,
the "oath" isn't as strong as it was.

People who worked in the industry took pictures.
Back then, people kept diaries. (called "blogs" today)
They DID talk about it with their wives. (most won't
admit it)

There IS a trail. We've just lost the scent.

Back to the paper, fellows.
Back to the people.

It's there.

We just need to find it.

Sorry for rambling,
Lex

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The current state of "ufology" is a joke. The only way to get it back on track is to weed out the woo woos that shout "disclosure" from their rooftops every 5 posts and give OBVIOUS fake images and videos pages and pages of discussion.

I do not think there has been intentional disinformation from the government for at least 2 decades. There could be institutionalized disinformation, however I highly doubt there is anything serious they could keep from us in this day and age anyway.

I doubt "ufology" will ever be taken seriously by ANY real mainstream audience due to the fact it is currently filled with the biggest bunch of crazies I have ever seen. Add to that people who want to believe so bad they fall for anything. I mean, google ufology or ufo and just look at some of those goofy pages. I mean come one, you all want those nuts to represent you? That is why this is and always will be nothing more than a fun, distracting hobby for most people, and a paycheck for those that "sell" their information (like any of them have any frigging answers anyway). Yeah, so Friedman, Greer, people like them are ruining the whole thing for everybody. their supported by nuts who are a little too eager to believe (their base audience so to speak) and the older they get, the more wacko they get and the more whacko their base gets too.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts

The current state of "ufology" is a joke.

IMO, not a joke.
Just a sad state of disarray.

The only way to get it back on track is to weed out the woo woos that shout "disclosure" from their rooftops every 5 posts and give OBVIOUS fake images and videos pages and pages of discussion.

Umm, not as I would have said, but I concur.

I do not think there has been intentional disinformation from the government for at least 2 decades.

I disagree.

There could be institutionalized disinformation, however I highly doubt there is anything serious they could keep from us in this day and age anyway.

There is disinfo.
"They" CAN keep it from us, and will continue to do so, IMO.

I doubt "ufology" will ever be taken seriously by ANY real mainstream audience due to the fact it is currently filled with the biggest bunch of crazies I have ever seen. Add to that people who want to believe so bad they fall for anything.

I agree 100%.
When there are people that "channel" aliens so they can "prove"
UFO's, there is a melt-down of common sense.

There are UFO's. No question.
It's those fringe-on-the-fringe cases that say they "know" aliens
that throws the wrench in the serious research.

I mean, google ufology or ufo and just look at some of those goofy pages. I mean come one, you all want those nuts to represent you?

No, I don't.
That's why I'm so adamant on this site.

There is a history and truth to UFO's.
IMO, no aliens involved.

We just need to find it.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Good thoughts, Lex. I tend to be a little more pointed in my posts and have to remind myself to settle down sometimes, lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I am very glad to find this thread. I was going to attempt to post something, perhpas a bit more pointed, today, but ran out of time.

The whole UFO scene is, I agree, in total disarray. The folks that I think may be on the level like Stanton Friedman, and one or two others are over-dazzled by the, what did you call them? Oh, yes... Woo-woos.

These folks have to understand, that while they may, in fact, be channeling the high command from planet Munimula, or whatever, that any hope of that being evidence is lost in the inanity, and hilarity of it all. I also think that if there are/were any aliens in the high command from the planet Munimula, that they would be smart enough to realize this basic issue. It, therefore, crosses my mind that all the channeling and other hooplah is just so much "Bull Da-DA", invented by little people who need to have ego feeds, or ... The aliens from the high command of the planet Munimula are utter and hopeless imbeciles, who if they landed on Earth, could not find their way out of their own saucers.

There is, little to no, valid UFO study going on, in the greater scheme of things. And the chances for it occurring, in my considered opinion, become less each day. For instance, I remember an attempt here on ATS a year or so back to establish a group called the Fair Skeptics. The folks who were initially involved, ended up scurrying elsewhere, I think, when it was realized how much hard work, and how little individual glory there would be. And unfortunately, some of them are still around and gathering praise for individual effort with no real output. But... I digress.

There will not, again in my considered opinion, ever be a complete and total bottom line on the UFO question, until such a time as the "looney" phenomena is set aside for those who just want to believe in the looney phenomena, and real, organized, non-glory attaining, hard work involving research is begun. Until those who are responsible don't end up finding that the lucrative end of UFOlogy is the ludicrous end, and automaticall going to it, like the proverbial moth to the flame.

But... I could be wrong. And if I am, I await the punitive decision of the channeled high command from the planet Munimula.

new topics

top topics

join