It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A message to all militant aethiest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Am I the only one that has noticed how many threads are started by aethiest badgering true believers to "prove" our faith to them? It is so sad to see them do that. It is like a person that threatens suicide just to get attention.
why all the anger against the true believers?
If you aethiest don't believe in God that is OK..nobody here is questioning your aethiest beliefs...give it a rest.

edited for content

[edit on 5-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If you're referring to my thread here :www.abovetopsecret.com... then you should know that I'm not athiest. The many threads of a gods existence/evolution/creationism is getting annoying. It's mainly the believers that question and bug the athiests. Not the way you put it.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
please don't take it personal. if you scroll down the "recent posts" page, you will see what i mean...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkheartrising
Am I the only one that has noticed how many threads are started by aethiest badgering true believers to "prove" our faith to them? It is so sad to see them do that. It is like a person that threatens suicide just to get attention.

no, it's completely different.

why all the anger against the true believers?

because their ranks include those like bin laden, pat robertson, various islamic extremist preachers and various christian extremist preachers.

If you aethiest don't believe in God that is OK..nobody here is questioning your aethiest beliefs...give it a rest.

actually.. quite the contrary.

here's one thread
how can you honestly NOT believe in god?

ok, tangent time.

"militant" is an improper term. no atheist has ever killed someone in the name of atheist. this is merely a slur that people use against atheists that actively point out how dangerous religious is and actively work against the threat they see.

secondly, religion is dangerous. just look at the world. israel/palestine is a conflict that is perpetuated because of religous stubborness. bush openly claimed that god told him to attack iraq. the kkk is openly religious and devoutly christian. just look at anywhere in the world with religion... and you can see that there is extremism. even the mild "respectable" faith can be seen as abusive. just think of teaching kids about hell, that's a form of mild psychological abuse. it also keeps the way clear for the more fundamentalist believers to exploit the respect we give unfounded nonsense in the guise of personal philosophy

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
all valid points sir.
i guess it bothers me to have christianity, something that is very special to me, be treated badly and things that i hold sacred, talked badly about.

imagine someone constantly speaking badly about your mother, brother or father..eventually you're gonna snap...
i snapped..

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

i guess it bothers me to have christianity, something that is very special to me, be treated badly and things that i hold sacred, talked badly about.

You shouldn't take it to heart. People are here to voice their opinions, so you'd better be ready to handle it when you sign on to ATS.

I think there are a lot of these types of threads, once one pops up about 10 more do soon after. One reason might be that religious folks are all too often easily offended when people discredit, or try to discredit their beliefs. I don't think anyone should be taking offense, you come on this site to read peoples' opinions, it would be boring if everyone agreed.

Edn

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Your being a little one sided with the topic don't you think? I would have thought you would have considered all religions rather than your particular type of Christianity. Since it isn't just the Christian god people talk about in here, though it tends to be very Christian/atheist orientated which is a shame, Atheists question most religions and most gods just as religious people here question Atheism and all other religions.

Anyway, if you cant question your own believes then theres something wrong right there (see signature) you shouldn't believe something just because some god or gods told you in some book written by dozens of men thousands of years ago, just as you wouldn't believe what a serial killer said if he told you he wasn't going to kill you while pointing as gun at your head.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Am I the only one that has noticed how many threads are started by aethiest badgering true believers to "prove" our faith to them?

I can say the same about the so called "true" believers starting topics against evolution; and claiming they are disproving it because you have have to dumb to think life evolves, if not cat's would be rocket scientists.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There have been just as many if not more threads started by religious people slurring us atheists because we choose to be free of superstition.

Let's see ... Atheism is the Worst Sin being one of them.

It seems to me, in my own opinion of course, that most atheists on the boards question and speak rationally about their lack of belief. This is somehow construed by religious members as being hostile or attacking.

I have rarely seen hostile threads or posts by atheists. Blunt, yes, but we don't see religion as anything to be treated specially, and are not going to pussyfoot around and use kid gloves to avoid offending someone.

I speak my mind. I have been called a bully, among other things, and I most certainly am not such. I just say what I think, in plain language, and it's construed as being hostile.

That is not my problem, the hostility is in the eye of the beholder only.

We don't believe in god or religion. Why should we not be allowed to speak our minds? Asking us not to, or to temper our posts so that they don't offend someone's delicate religious sensibilities is no more or less than censorship.

If someone's belief is so shaky that being questioned calmly and rationally by someone offends them, then perhaps they need to examine their own faith, or not read our threads.

Just my two cents.

[edit to add] BTW, weren't you the one who posted "You Suck" to my profile comments because you don't like my stance on religion? I don't do that to people just because I think that clinging to religion is unnecessary. But I sure get that a lot for sticking to my (lack of) belief in the supernatural.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Are you kidding MIMS?
atheists don't kill people for being religious?
How about Mao? or Stalin or some other despot?

Communism and Atheism(twin sisters) go hand-in-hand with MURDER!!!
Jesus teaches us to love one another, even if telling them the truth is hard on us.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Are you kidding MIMS?
Jesus teaches us to love one another, even if telling them the truth is hard on us.

Humans will murder no matter what they believe in. Jesus' teachings didn't stop the crusades, and all the other wars fought for religion over the centuries have they? They didn't stop the inquisition either.

What your saying is ridiculous, I'm an atheist, and I would only kill to defend myself or someone of my family, or if someone is in danger and the only way to save them is to kill the aggressor. I don't even kill insects because it does make me feel bad.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Are you kidding MIMS?

Those people didn't kill because they were atheists. Atheism just happened to be part of their totalitarianism, as a method of control. It's not the same as the Inquisition, the war in Iraq, etc.

If Jesus says to love one another, then why do I get profile comments like "You suck"? So very loving and Christian, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
For the record, killing/violence is something that is part of human nature, we are naturally a violent species regardless of what you believe.

So, atheists arguing that religion makes people kill and all that shenanigans is pretty stupid. They should know we are a violent species, it's part of evolution.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Basically, to break down what's been said into an easily understandable sentence/paragraph.

It's not an influx, it's cyclical, the religious do similar and even worse things,
and in far greater numbers, than the non-religious fire back, though most of the
time we're defending ourselves.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Everything in moderation.

God is good for a general thank-you before lunch: "God I'm hungry!"

And Jesus (Top mythical bearded dude!) is always good for when you stub your toe: "Jesus F in Christ."

I'm more than happy for you to have God light up your life and Jesus to spread that happy happy joy joy feeling through out your world, but I don't really believe it for a second, I have all the happy happy joy joy I need right here on the rock solid planet Earth.

I see no NEED for God, it sure as hell (boom boom) dosen't help those starving buggers in Africa or South America. The whole thing is a money making scam! Never seen a poor Vicar or a church that dosen't need building work - donations greatful excepted in the name of God.

Man I feel a lot more Militant now than when I turned on my laptop twenty mins ago!

BTW - feel free to tell me suck! Cos I do and I do it well!

[edit on 6/8/07 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Are you kidding MIMS?

i never said ATHEISTS don't kill people, i said ATHEISM doesn't kill people.

show me one person that was killed in the name of ATHEISM...
communism is practically a religion, as it contains irrational state-worship

yes, jesus, the touchy feely person... except for when he talks about eternal punishment... something he... or whoever created the fictional character... created.
sure, jesus had some great points... but buddha came up with them first. and again, secular moral philosophy trumps religious moral philosophy in how humane it is

all valid points sir.

i can understand the feeling, however, you need to understand that your religious convictions are still opinions. they don't deserve any special treatment and i will continue to talk about them in the same way i talk about political idealogy that i disagree with.

imagine someone constantly speaking badly about your mother, brother or father..eventually you're gonna snap...
i snapped..

it's ok, you're only human. we all snap sometimes

[edit on 8/6/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

all valid points sir.

i snapped..

Doesn't it occur to you that perhaps atheists feel this exact same way? People who are insecure in their beliefs (or lack thereof) will always badger and harass people of opposing views, whether they're atheist, christian, racist, a 49ers fan, anything.

Those who are secure with their beliefs are content to sit back and explore those beliefs rather than engage in ineffective banter.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Let's see ... Atheism is the Worst Sin being one of them.

Not as bad as the 'If you don't believe in God, every good thing you do is for nought' thread.

And? So if Christians kill people, Christianity is bad?
This reminds me of one of Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert's) fallacy examples:
'Some Elbonians wear true fur coats. Some Elbonians are animal rights activists. Therefore all Elbonians are hypocrites'.
Also, I highly doubt they killed them because they were atheistic. It's a little thing called perversion of Communistic principles (emphasis added)

And so does Christianity and the Inquisition.

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Jesus also healed a slave, without even a reprimand of the slaveowner.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Can you at least bother to spell atheist right?

I used to be one then mellowed out but I still have plenty of friends that are.

And one of the reasons atheists grow so annoyed is evidenced in your post; referring to yourselves as "true" believers as you typically so arrogantly do.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Both sides have the arrogance of their beliefs, the "we're right, you're wrong, and never the twain shall meet".

Whilst I believe in God, it's a belief tempered by the realization, to me, any way, that he/she is a let us sort it out on our own kinda gal/guy. I realize, most of the time, that everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs, and I personally would not change that. All I would ask, from both sides of the issue, a modicum of tolerance, and *ahem* respect. Something that seems to be in short supply at times, on all the threads.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join