It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheilding for empathy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yes, well, this is like my first *real* post, so I'm not exactically sure how the entire lingo/ettiquite works on these things, but I guess I'll just plunge right ahead anyway... try to excuse the stupid mistakes and what-not.

Anyways, I have some empathy skills, so when I go out in public places, like high school, I try to shield so I don't get over whelmed by all the emotion.
LAtly, my shield-ness has been like turning off of whatever during my last two classes, leaving me with a splitting headache!

Does aynone happen to know how to like not get over whelmed by empathy, or how to make a shield stronger??

Thanks.

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Valedamar]

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Merry Meet

The best way to shield yourself is with a morning meditation. I do this on occasion. Usually, my shield can last for a few weeks as I have been using it all my life. I have had troubles like you describe for a long time. I only got into meditation about three years ago, and have done enough of it that my "shield" has been made stronger and lasts longer.

Basically, when meditating, meditate anyway you are comfortable with. When you are ready to stop meditating, imagine a shield of white light surrounding your entire body. After you have gotten good at this, try to extend that shield of white light further from yourself. The longer you practice this, the better the shield will become. After a wahile, you will find that you can turn this on and off like a light switch.

The reason I say this, is because sometime you don't want the shield, and may want to turn it off. If you are trying to read someone, you obviously want the shield to be less protective, or you won't be able to read off them.

Remember to make this the final stage of your maditation, or the reason for meditation (if you have a routine) can actually be washed away by this shield. When I first started reading about the white light meditation method, my meditation was not going well until someone pointed out that I was using the white light early in my meditation stages, and not at the end. After taking the advice I just gave, everything started coming back together and started working very well for me.

Good Luck

Blessed Be

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by ImAlreadyPsycho]

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
mirror shields are the most common used for empathy.

Using visualisation, create a circle of mirror shields around you. These are like armor shields built like a mirror on the outside. Anything projected towards you will just be reflected off the surface of the mirror blocking it.

Be careful however using any type of shield work, and use the technique only for periods of time, because one has to remember that what you are keeping out, you are also keeping in what is going on in your own life.

It's all very well to put up shields to reflect anything negative, but remember what you are holding can also not get out. Hence the reason for balance.

Use a good visualisation technique to put up and the mirrors and remember to put them down when not in the vicinity of the people you are shielding yourself from.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks a lot you guys. I have question... You guys seem like u have empathy; have either of you had any luck at reading people's minds?
It's happened to me like twice, maybe three times. I look someone in the eye and this image of what i *think* they are thinking flashes into my head. Does any of this sound familiar?

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Repeatedly. Especially with my wife, it really gets under her skin sometimes when I jump in and say word for word what she wants to say before she says it.

I am empathic. Have been my whole life. This is one reason I was a loner growing up. Large crowds of people really messed with my head.

But yes, I know exactly what you mean, and it has happened WAY more than once or twice, it usually happens that much in a day for me.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When it happens to you, how long does the image last? I can like never focus after it happens to me...
Do u hear voices too? I've been looking up mind reading/empathy and I read that somepeople hear other's thoughts..... That hasn't ever happened to me.
Anyway, is there anyway to, like see someone's thoughts when y\u want to? The randomness of it all is sorta unnerving. I'ld like to be able to like call it u[p when I want to use it...

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valedamar
Thanks a lot you guys. I have question... You guys seem like u have empathy; have either of you had any luck at reading people's minds?
It's happened to me like twice, maybe three times. I look someone in the eye and this image of what i *think* they are thinking flashes into my head. Does any of this sound familiar?

As another empath, this is more common for me when I'm in a close relationship with someone who has gifts of their own, even if not telepathic or empathic in nature.

I've been connected in that way to four different women at different times in my life. In each case, the two of us have been able to have some kind of unspoken rapport between us, sharing energy and thoughts without a spoken word, even across distances. Takes some getting used to, but it makes it easy to have an understanding between the two people involved.

Beyond that, I've had only a handful of events where I've known someone's thoughts. The first time is what led me into my exploration of my abilities.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ok.... let me go into a little detail here. This may help you with understanding my "position".

From a young age, I have been a loner. For reasons that are going to be made perfectly clear, you will know why.

When I was really young, I had "visitors". More or less what you might call imaginary friends. By about 4 or 5 I had "outgrown" that, as, imaginary friends should not be had (according to adults). So, I kinds forgot about that stuff.

When I was 5, I was sexually molested by a cousin who was much older than me. Even though I had a few "school friends" that was all they were. Once school was out, I hid in my room the rest of the day.

Imaginary friends came and went through the age of about ten. At this point, I started seeing peoples thoughts, hearing voices of people not there, seeing things, just out and out weirdness. I also knew something was strange when I could tell who felt what way. I could sence peoples' emotion. I passed it off at that time as being "all in my head". I really couldn't have been much closer to the truth, but, in the opposite direction.

I turned suicidal from ages 11 - 14. Then I realized I was only kidding myself. I gave up that crap and realized suicide was for kittykats and went on with life. Still hearing voices, still catching glimpses of things from the corner of my eye.

I got used to this and played it off for many more years. I hit age 20, got married and settled down. Everything still going on, me still 'ignoring' it more or less. However, I really enjoyed beating my wife to what she was gonna say.

I had read about empathy and decided I may have it. I had also been into meditation, OBE etc for quite some time when we moved to a new home.

In this home many things started happening. Strange things. Seeing people not there, voices, feelings, chills everything indicitive of a haunted place. So, I had the home investigated. The medium involved stopped and said before she went on, that, "they are here because of you. You can hear them and feel them and see them, and they know it. They want you to communicate". Then she went on.

After they determined my house was (and still is) haunted, I asked for clarification. She told me I have latent mediumship abilities, I am empathic, and eventually through developing my abilities, I could be very good with them.

I have been developing for s few years, and am successful sometimes, and unsuccessful other times.

I know this was a long answer, but, yes, I know exactly what you mean Valdemar.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Oh my god, that's awful! I suppose I'm lucky that my skills arn't that advanced. Do you think the hauntings are like, trying to ask u favors or somthings. Wow, should I stop trying to develop my skills? It's seems like empathy is a hard route....You're really gifted though Iamallready.....Wow.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, skill development will not only make your skills stronger, but, it will help you alos be able to control them better.

I actually USUALLY take these things as a gift. Sometimes I get overwhelmed, but, I have learned to control it to my needs, not the needs of others, or the ghosts.

Now, the ghosts are a different matter altogether. Most of them only want attention. Just so you know they are there. One is actually afraid of me (a little girl) and one is very nurturing. I don't know names, but I know this one seems to be there to watch over me or something. She is really quite, but, when I need someone, I can always feel her there. Then there is a teenage male, who is just a prnkster, but he does enjoy coming into the room when I am jamming on my guitar. I have felt his presence numerous times.

None have asked favors or let on as they need help though. Which is slightly confusing to me, as all my research points to para-psychologists saying that is why they come to people. I tend to think that is not necessarily the case.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Woah, how does your wife deal with the ghosts?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
We are so used to it now, we usually laugh when something strange happens. At first, we both freaked, but now it's no big deal and even funny sometimes.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Live by these 3 words...
Ground
Center
Shield

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Your shield is failing because you want it to. It appears time for you to move from a "objective empathy" path to a more direct yogic form of connection. Do not be scared, as you created this path long ago for yourself. The headaches will pass...until they do though, enjoy the pain, as it will never happen exactly as it does the moment you're having it. Enjoy every excruciatingly detailed moment!

Everything is permissable...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
At this point, I started seeing peoples thoughts, hearing voices of people not there, seeing things, just out and out weirdness. I also knew something was strange when I could tell who felt what way. I could sence peoples' emotion. I passed it off at that time as being "all in my head". I really couldn't have been much closer to the truth, but, in the opposite direction.

I was the same way from the time I was a way little kid, about 3 or so. Eventually, I dismissed it because people thought I was crazy, until I told them what was on their mind or started to finish their sentences.

Jump ahead about 17 years, and I'm doing like you're saying you do now, seeing/hearing people that are not there. It really creeped me out the first time, but I've adjusted to it, and have learned to shield against it if it gets to be too much for me to take.

Back to shielding--I have used the mirror shield that squnitycat mentioned, but I won't use it for long or else I end up getting lost in my own mind because nothing gets out. I've been using meditation to strengthen my shield like ImAlreadyPsycho says to do, I find that works really well, keeps it stronger throughout the day.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Valedamar

yo are you still there? have you ever heard of john yo kid from toronto. apparently can get lottery numbers from the future that would win, when your close or if he watch's a video recording of you you will hear his thoughts so he can watch the video when in the future giving you both the numbers, would you be interested?

top topics

join