It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are they ever going to make Neuromancer into a movie???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
for those who've read this book, have ya'll been waiting for this movie as well? Why hasn't it happened yet I don't know. I find it strange that William Gibson's books haven't been decently translated to the screen, but Phillip K. Dick's have gotten quite a few.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The last I heard (over 10 years ago,) was that Gibson sold the rights to a cash-rich but zero-experienced production company called Cabana Boys. If they still retain the rights, they're doing nothing with the property.

It's funny -- right around the time that Neuromancer was published, the films Blade Runner and Tron were released. The former, which IIRC came out the year before, provided a pretty good picture of the external world Gibson was writing about; the latter presented his conception of "cyberspace" rather well. A Neuromancer movie made now would inevitably be compared to these earlier two films.

My opinion is that, at this point, the world has passed Neuromancer by. Certainly, in literary SF, the whole cyberpunk high-tech/lowlife aesthetic has been a cliché for some time now. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, one of my personal favorites actually, but what seemed so visionary back in 1984 seems a little antiquated now.

Just my opinion,
Baack

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There was a Variety article a few months ago that saying that it was going into pre-production. The director's most famous work is Britney's Toxic video.

I love this book far too much to ever want to see a Hollywood adaptation of it.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
They already have... it's called The Matrix, was a huge flop, and spawned two great sequels, a great game, and something called The Animatrix... huge flop.

I don't trust Hollywood to do justice to the book.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
After seeing what "they" did to Johnny Mnemonic, there's no way I would trust a Neuromancer movie.

I can see it now, Russel Crowe as Case with Angelina Jolie as Molly.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I don't think that The Matrix was a flop, was it? The theater was crowded both times I went to see it. Anyway, there is an awful lot of Neuromancer in The Matrix, so it might seem redundant if Neuromancer makes it to the screen. There are enough differences, but the similarities from Molly=Trinity to Zion=Zion to Case=Neo to the whole Zion prophecy bit, is just, well, the Wachowski brother's obviously helped themselves to a lot of Gibson's material, so Neuromancer, if audiences haven't read the novel, might get confused and think that it's a rip off of The Matrix.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
the matrix wasn't a flop.

god i hope your wrong about the cast of nerumancer, that would suck big monkey brass. hopefully they get some decent peeps that can act and hopefully the movie has a good budget

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostryder21
the matrix wasn't a flop.

Commercially, no.

There's a big difference between commercial appeal, and artistic appeal though.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
In a way I'd like to see it as a book, but afraid it will fail horribly...
Seeing it portrayed well and possible other dimensions to it, would be the pro. If the movie turned out great, indie or not, it would become to popular, thus played out. Original fans would fade and or get sick of it probably. If made horrible, well...we all know how we'd feel on that.

I agree with the comparisons of Neuromancer to how The Matrix was done, posts above.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by dreamingawake]

new topics

top topics

join