It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinfo: Astronomer "Solves" 400-year-Old Lunar Mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
In the effort of full disclosure, I'm not in an way on the "someone is on the moon" bandwagon. I don't think anyone lives there. I don't think anyone has a base there. I don't there there are aliens there. But hey, maybe I'm just ignorant.

At any rate, I came across this on Slashdot this morning and haven't seen anyone else cover it, so I guess I will:

An astronomer at Columbia University thinks he has solved a 400-year-old mystery: the origin of strange optical flashes seen on the moon's surface. These spots, called 'Transient Lunar Phenomenon' (TLP) by the astronomy community, have confused moon-gazers since the time of ancient scientists. Arlin Crotts now thinks that TLPs are something called 'outgassing', a process where trapped gasses escape to the lunar atmosphere. 'To arrive at his theory, Crotts correlated TLPs with known gas outbursts from the lunar surface as seen by several spacecraft, particularly NASA's Apollo 15 mission in 1971 and the robotic Lunar Prospector in 1998. What he discovered was a remarkable similarity in the pattern of outgassing event locations recorded by spacecraft across the face of the moon and reported TLP sites.'

Now, I've never heard of the TLP or anything like it, but I bet a bunch of people on here have. So, I'll offer this up...because, to me, this would sound like a prime candidate for disinfo, if you actually believe there are things up on the moon to begin with.

Do with it as you may.

[edit: forgot ti include the link to the actual AstronomyReport.Com article Slashdot mentions. So there you go.

[edit on 4-8-2007 by The Big O]

[edit on 4-8-2007 by The Big O]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Already covered: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Already covered: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

BAH! FOILED AGAIN!

Oh well...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:25 PM