It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new section?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Having been a member of ATS for a while now I would like to propose a new section of the forum dedicated to first hand investigations.

In my eyes, one of the most interesting features of this site are the members who go out and look for things, then document them with pictures and videos and put them on the site. These first hand investigations (although some fruitless) are a good source of first hand information. Many of the posts on ATS have been posted and reposted and many are second hand articles collected from external sources. I am not playing these down as being 'null' as there are many excellent posts which have been brought to the table which previously may have gone un-noticed. Yet the investigations conducted by members such as William One Sac are interesting and alot of personal research and work has gone into making them. Many of these excellent threads become buried and are never really seen by newer members unless alot of digging work is done.

I did U2U Simon with some suggestions but I am well aware forum Mods are inundated with U2Us and can't reply to all- thus, with this thread I would like to make this suggestion across the boards and ask members for their opinions.

Cheers

[edit on 4-8-2007 by Knights]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Would you think that any topic would be relevant in such a section? I wonder how that would work out?

Hey, I'm for giving it a go. I think that a more active approach is a good thing. I have suggested that in the past, though I did not argue for a dedicated section.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
Would you think that any topic would be relevant in such a section? I wonder how that would work out?

Hey, I'm for giving it a go. I think that a more active approach is a good thing. I have suggested that in the past, though I did not argue for a dedicated section.

Thats quite a difficult one. If a subject which relates to say, A51 and it is in another section it may be misleading. But providing the search is used it should show with the rest of the results providing it was tagged right.

It just seems a shame so much hard work is being buried, when it should be easily accessible and because these investigations are fairly rare they shouldn't get too buried in a new section.

I really hope I don't sound like i'm kicking up a fuss for no reason, I just think some of the work may be invaluable to newer AND existing members.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It seems like a good idea to me.

Ive been sniffing around several places in the UK lately looking for evidence of certain places.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
WOS's was great and I'd like to remind everyone of another great one that was done by Dulcimer who went out and took some really interesting pics of a potential bigfoot area.
to the members who bring us things like this.

[edit on 8-4-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
WOS's was great and I'd like to remind everyone of another great one that was done by Dulcimer who went out and took some really interesting pics of a potential bigfoot area.
to the members who bring us things like this.

This is my point entirely- alot of good work has been put into these threads.

BUT..

With respect, I notice you mention the member Dulcimer- how do I find that thread without a link? How would I have known about it without your input? Dulcimer has posted 2947 times at ATS and countless threads he/she has started. I don't particularly fancy scrawling through every thread looking for the right article and i'm sure many others are the same. Hence, my argument for a new section..

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Knights, I don't think you're kicking up a fuss at all. The only reason I never sought a separate section for UFO investigations is that I never thought of the idea.

Maybe the way to keep them separated is by having the poster be very explicit in the heading of the thread. Such as: "Bigfoot Pictures From Eastern Oklahoma." as opposed to "Cool Pictures". That would make hunting the story down later much easier, even if it did get buried just a bit.

And while I'm near the subject, this is one of my pet peeves. I know that some people just don't think about it, but misleading headings are an annoyance. I hate going to a thread tittled "Crime of the Century" and it turns out to be another thread on Paris Hilton.

Mini rant over.

Edit for spelling--NGC2736

[edit on 4-8-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I was thinking another bonus may promote people researching things for themselves as well. Many members may see findings of one user and may want to expand on their work. Hopefully a Mod may pick on my rants because I think it would be a positive move on behalf of ATS.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Knights, I think this is a pretty good idea. This could be beneficial for advertising the ATS site as well. "Come look at our independent research section investigated by the ATS team."

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
Knights, I think this is a pretty good idea. This could be beneficial for advertising the ATS site as well. "Come look at our independent research section investigated by the ATS team."

I've tried U2U'ing 3 Mods so hopefully I will be able to get some feedback- even if I have to do the digging work myself!

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A lot of first-hand investigation goes on in the Research forum. If you have a hypothesis and want to get a group together to look into something, I'm sure you'd be welcome to do it there.

People have already gone into a great length of research into ghosts, aliens, and other topics in that forum. You won't believe it until you see it... some of it is pretty amazing, the time and effort people devote.

It isn't all just on paper either, I was part of "The Psychokinetic Ability Research Project", which took a fairly hands-on approach to researching various forms of PK.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
A lot of first-hand investigation goes on in the Research forum. If you have a hypothesis and want to get a group together to look into something, I'm sure you'd be welcome to do it there.

Fair comment, yet all the information that is more hands on has it's own group. Because research subjects aren't all too common, good subjects are easier to find.

I am focusing more on the independant research which is all too often lost to newer and existing members which could prove invaluable to the site.

Thanks for the input though.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Did you know we already have a dedicated forum for research projects? Only those with an accepted research plan can post so it's ideal for teams of people.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Did you know we already have a dedicated forum for research projects? Only those with an accepted research plan can post so it's ideal for teams of people.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by kinglizard]

yes I did, hence my post above. The research forum is invaluable also. I am focusing on the more individual work people have put into this site!

new topics

top topics

join