It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Participants Needed! First ATS Debate Tournament for 2007

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I must say that my first debate is much more fun than I would have anticipated. Granted it is tough to rebutt points sometimes, it really makes you have to think hard how to respond. Great stuff

I hope Simulacra doesnt forfeit his 3rd round, hes got less than an hour by my watch.

Has Simulacra contacted you, Vagabond?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just wanted to give you a heads up. I most likely will not have access to a computer again until Monday morning after the next 20 minutes. Just in case there are any developments that require my attention before then. Whatever happens, I wasn't kidnapped by the NWO trained reptilians!

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Done deal folks. It has been alot of fun. Gotta go, I am stopping by the local FED bank for that pack of twenties that they promised me.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
OK, I'm playing a bit of catch-up today so I'm sorry that some things didn't get dealt with in an extremely rapid fashion.

Simulacra has not contacted me and he has forfeited a post. That will be official once I have posted in that thread, which will happen momentarily, and Don Wahn will then be able to proceed.

The same goes for Hikix.

Semperfortis has contacted me, and he will be postng before very long.

I have receieved several notifications regarding this weekend, so we can expect things to be a little bit slow, but it would still be a good idea to have a look when possible and post as close to on time as you can.
Given the high number of notifications for this weekend, there will be some leniency for Saturday and Sunday, within reason.

Also, congratulations to those who have finished. Judging is underway. This is the most difficult part of a tournament- finishing your match early and having to wait. All results will be given simultaneously, so all I can say is that everyone will have their results at some point next week- when depends on how fast the matches wrap up and how hard of a time the judges have on them.

This will be an interesting part of the debate, because I think I'm going to have a really hard time not blurting out the results once I know them. Whats the point in having information that affects people's hopes and dreams if you can't use it on a whim? But... I'll manage. The question is, can you?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork
Good God. My opponent, EvilBat, essentially conceded the debate in his opening statement. I don't even have the heart to U2U him and explain his mistake.

IMHO, this premature grandstanding was quite a bit...well...premature.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinSkinned
[IMHO, this premature grandstanding was quite a bit...well...premature.

Yep. It certainly was. He's got me on the ropes.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I'd love to debate.

I used to argue so much that my mother said that I'd be a great defence Lawyer!

I am a little self-conscious though. I think that I won't be good enough against other ATS'ers. Little phobia of mine - I will quickly adapt.

I know that chisler was more than kind enough at one point to want to set up a 'mock debate' to let me 'cut my teeth' with.

I NOW officially set myself against another debater.

Roll the dice.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
I am a little self-conscious though. I think that I won't be good enough against other ATS'ers. Little phobia of mine - I will quickly adapt.

Roll the dice.

I feel similar, I'd go against you if I can. That is, if you want of course.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
We'll find you a match the minute the tournament is over Duckster.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex

Originally posted by TheDuckster

Roll the dice.

I feel similar, I'd go against you if I can. That is, if you want of course.

Ok. TheDuckster against apex

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
TheDuckster vs. Apex

Ok...Who's going to offiate, and what are the ground rules?

The gloves are off honey

**Note** Doing my homework now.

I look forward to debating with Apex!

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
So, are you starting another tourney after this one is done being judged?

Are you going to keep this section alive and active?

Please do tell

I am in to get my hopes crushed

I also was told to be a lawyer when I was a kid ... and I am even told recently that I am too smart for them (friends and family) to discuss anything with ... I told them not to build my ego with that nonsense ... and debating isn't always about being smart
they have succumbed to just being quiet or being agreeable, I must be a pain to be around
I think it is more that than my intelligence level

I do think the time constrain of 24 hours is probably rough on some people, but I understand it. It keeps things going.

I wanted to ask but forgot ... Sir Vagabond, are you the one that issues Fighter status to be involved in debates now? or is that still something that needs a U2U to Nygan?

Thanks!

[edit on 8/11/07 by FreeThinkerIdealist]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There is actually always the option to debate in a one-on-one format with the same rules as in this tournament. You can read more about this here. As Chissler mentions on that thread, the rules for the head-to-head debates are more flexible as long as both parties agree. You can also check out some of the head-to-head debates by using the google search for "head-to-head".

So even when a one isn't taking place, if anyone wants to get some debate practice in preparation for the next tournament, the head-to-head is a great option.

As to requests for fighter status, Nygdan is no longer moderating the debate forum, so all requests should go to one of the debate moderators, who are, at this point, WyrdeOne, The Vagabond and myself, though Vagabond is really the guy running with this

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Yep, what he said.

We won't be having any other debates while the tournament is still in progress because we already have our judges loaded down with a lot of reading.

Once this is over, 1 on 1 matches will be possible both in this forum, and in Chissler's H2H forum.

There will also be a ranking system in place after this tournament which will make the 1 on 1 debates more rewarding.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Has anyone heard from TheBorg?

I'm starting to worry....

I debated him before in the H2H and he was always prompt, now he has gone missing...

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
He was on today, I see him all the time.

Dont see you much though, did you go missing?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Naw, Im on and off for short periods....

Summer is my busy time at work...

People get stupid in the heat

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Sorry semper bro, but life gave me some lemons.. I was in the process of lemonading when I realized that I had forgotten something. I hated missing the last reply, but I got here just a bit too late. Things happen. Fortunately, I haven't been drug off in the middle of the night by the government... yet.

By the end of this debate, they may come and get me though.

If I disappear, call you're rep and let them know that TheBorg needs let out NOW!!

TheBorg

[Edited for more jokes.]

[edit on 12-8-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Just glad that you are OK my friend!!!

I am not troubled by the debate, you always give a GREAT argument....

Hope the Lemonade turned out OK...

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Actually, it's quite good. I have some sore feet. Tendonitis isn't fun; don't get it if you can avoid it, especially in both feet.

TheBorg

[Edited for clarity. Typing too darned fast.]

[edit on 12-8-2007 by TheBorg]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join