It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back to the future, via a donut-shaped vacuum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Back to the future, via a donut-shaped vacuum?

Not exactly a John Titor type hypothesis, but the "donut-shaped" vacuum struck a chord with me.

Could all our blunders be reversed, our failings eliminated? Perhaps so, if an Israeli scientist's research is to be believed. With the help of Prof. Amos Ori, we might just be able to go back and stop the screw-ups from happening in the first place.

Ori, a physicist from the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, has come up with what he says are practical solutions to overcome the hindrances that experts have long regarded as stopping us from traveling back in time.

In a paper published in the latest issue of the Physical Review journal, the scientist offers a theoretical model, based on mathematical equations describing conditions that, if established, could help lead to the development of a time machine of sorts. But rather than building an actual device, Ori explains that "the machine is space-time itself."

Article continued here

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This brings to mind, of course, the many various theories as to how time travel would impact our current timeline. Would a new timeline develop next to ours? Would ours ceise to exist? Can the past be changed? And of course, if I go back and kill my grandfather how can I exist...and so on.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This brings to mind, of course, the many various theories as to how time travel would impact our current timeline. Would a new timeline develop next to ours? Would ours ceise to exist? Can the past be changed? And of course, if I go back and kill my grandfather how can I exist...and so on.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
one such theory exists where for every event or choice we make, such as a marriage proposal is a good example, in this 'verse she might say no, but at that exact moment another 'verse is created where she says yes. its curious. instead of time travel i personally would focus more on a slider-esque machine to hop over into the alternate dimensions, eventually you might find a good one.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZGhorus
instead of time travel i personally would focus more on a slider-esque machine to hop over into the alternate dimensions, eventually you might find a good one.

Well that is what John Titor's machine claimed to have done: put you on a different worldline with a small divergence from your own.

I had recently asked in another thread where we can go to talk about John Titor in a current thread, not one that is 3 years old. I think a lot of things have happened since 2004 or 2005 (date of last thread, as far as I know) that may lend more credulity to his claims. I am still on the fence with that case, but not for reasons that everyone else is.

One thing Titor had said which struck me in particular that made me doubt some of his claims was about personal generation of power, being done often with steam. Well if the water was radioactive and they had a hard time finding clean water to drink, how would they amass enough of it to use for generating steam, and wouldn't the steam be toxic if the water was radioactive?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
here's a tip if you plan on killing anyone in the past spend six months it the time travels stage you know the einstein roscoe bridge wormhole sephiroth what ever you wanna call it because at the point your body absorbs th radiation and you can go back and kill who ever and not be harmed........

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestatue
here's a tip if you plan on killing anyone in the past spend six months it the time travels stage you know the einstein roscoe bridge wormhole sephiroth what ever you wanna call it because at the point your body absorbs th radiation and you can go back and kill who ever and not be harmed........

You mean the Einstein-Rosen space-time bridge?
Yours was funnier though.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If you wanna know how time travel really works, watch Time Cop!

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corbin Dalus

or you can go here and download the article, is not free though which is a shame.

scitation.aip.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Do note that you must remain calm if you wish not to be squashed against the wall.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-

Do note that you must remain calm if you wish not to be squashed against the wall.

Huh?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestatue

I have no idea what you’re trying to say. Can you clarify? To be honest, I’m surprised you weren’t banned for your claim of being an Angel. Especially one that can’t spell, punctuate you sentences, or clarify your thoughts.

On the topic at hand, this particular part grabbed my interest:

"If the proper initial conditions were achieved, the time machine would evolve on its own without any further intervention," he asserts. "It can be likened to shooting a ship with a cannon. Once the cannon is aimed properly and fired, the cannonball hits the ship on its own, driven solely by the laws of physics. The machine is space time itself. If we were to create an area with a warp like this in space that would enable time lines to close on themselves, it might enable future generations to return to visit our time."

His analogy leads me to believe that once the process is started, it would require, little if any, human correction or interaction to complete itself. What worries me is, if there is little we can do to influence the process once its started, what could we possibly do to influence its end?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I do find time travel facinating and believe that if it were possible to travel back in time you couldn't change the past,just observe it.For instance if I went back to the 1950s and killed my grandfather,I wouldn't die because if he died then my father and me couldn't have existed,therefore I couldn't of travelled back to the 1950s to kill my grandfather.I think it would be like that with everything or maybe im taking rubbisgh

top topics

join